[NEEDS UPDATING] Bulbs, switches and sensors, oh my....what to buy (device class features FAQ)

Just updating the thread for locks. :sunglasses:

Most people using SmartThings get Z wave locks, in part because then there’s no issue with Wi-Fi interference which allows you to boost Wi-Fi signal near the front door for cameras or Wi-Fi video doorbells without running into a problem. But most of the big lock companies also makes zigbee versions of their smart locks if you want one. As of this writing, February 2017, none of the Bluetooth locks are compatible with SmartThings.

Form

There are two main kind of zwave smart locks for homes: keypad locks, which replace the existing deadbolt and have a keypad on the outside of the door where you can enter a code, and retrofit locks, where the exterior piece is the same as always, and there’s a piece that goes on the inside of the door and fits physically over the existing turn bolt so that it can be turned.

Keypad lock on the exterior side. It replaces the existing deadbolt

Keypad lock on the interior side

Interior with retrofit lock. It fits over the existing turnbolt. The exterior will look the same as always.

Both can be opened automatically or from your phone. The big difference is that the keypad lock enables someone, such as a child who lives in the home, to open the lock from the outside without needing either a phone or a key. But for those who live in apartments or subdivisions which require that all exterior door locks look the same, the retrofits are a good option. Also, some people just prefer them aesthetically.

You can get a keypad lock which just replaces the deadbolt, or one that has a built-in lever handle as well.

If you live in the UK, there are also some keypad locks that are much thinner and designed to fit European doors.

keypad lock features

There’s an FAQ for Z wave/zigbee keypad locks that covers different brand features , so I won’t repeat all that information here. Just follow this link:

2017 did see the release of the August pro, which is the only lock which can be used with both SmartThings and HomeKit, so if you’re looking for that particular combination, that’s another one to consider. It’s a retrofit lock so that there is a piece that fits over your existing deadbolt turn the key on the interior, and the exterior looks the same as it always did. No keypad unless you buy a separate accessory device. So it will be good for some use cases, but not others.

https://www.amazon.com/August-Smart-Lock-Connect-technology/dp/B0752V8D8D

2 Likes

breaking and fixing is half the battle lol

There is a good discussion of Siren features in the following thread:

And two discussion thread on motorized shades that work with SmartThings:

Adding a discussion thread specific to humidity sensors:

And one just for temperature sensors:

Adding a discussion thread specific to high load electrical equipment like water heaters, things in the 30 amp range.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Kodak Camera Experience?

Looks like we haven’t ever added this to the thread yet. This is the FAQ that lists all of the remotes and buttons that have been confirmed to work with SmartThings. Some are wallmount, some are handheld; some are battery operated and some are mains powered. But it’s a pretty simple FAQ: just one post per device with the region, name, picture, a brief description, and a thread to discussion threads if any in the forum. :sunglasses:

There aren’t a lot of options for ceiling fan control that work with SmartThings, but there are two good ones and some that are OK if the first two don’t work with your wiring. See the following thread:

1 Like

Detailed discussion of leak sensors:

Detailed discussion of pocket socket options for the UK:

More about Smart Bulbs.

Looks to be that the GE is the most common brand for switches… Ge Smart switch with dimmer and wanted to know the following:

I would like to install this in a light that is controlled by 2 switches (different locations) and wanted to know if I have to install 2 of these or just one (leaving a dummy one) so I can make it work with z wave?

See the following (this is clickable link)

And then you can ask any follow on wiring questions in the following thread:

1 Like

Discussion thread comparing Amazon echo with google home:

Just an update on zwave motion sensors. @krlaframboise has recently done an extensive review of six different models including features like detection zone range. This doesn’t include any zigbee sensors, but it’s well worth the read. :sunglasses:

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/blogs/the-smartest-blog/the-best-z-wave-motion-sensors-compared

3 Likes

Besides the Dome bullet point that sounds like I wrote when I was drunk, there’s a correction that should be made to that Blog post.

The chart at the bottom shows 1-255 Minutes for the motion re-trigger wait time of the Zooz Z-Wave Plus Motion/Humidity/Temp/ Light Sensor, but that’s no longer correct.

Firmware version 17.9 was released a couple of weeks ago and it changes the motion re-trigger wait time to 15-60 Seconds.

3 Likes

We’ll edit it! :wink:

1 Like

A 2018 thread discussing various thermostat options, mostly by referral to previous forum threads:

And a thread discussing the various brands and models of water valve shut off devices: