Budget lux sensor that works locally (EU)?

As the title says. Are there any budget light (lux) sensors (about 20 - 25) euros preferably zigbee that work locally on smartthings?

The only lux sensor I know of that might have a local operation is the Sensative zwave strip. It is available in Europe, but it’s not inexpensive. And you’d have to confirm that it offers local operation with SmartThings. :thinking: but it does work without requiring custom code.

https://www.vesternet.com/collections/brands-sensative/products/z-wave-sensative-comfort-gen5

@iharyadi ’s Zigbee mains powered device has been a popular budget zigbee multi sensor, but I think it requires a custom DTH. So not local at this time.

The Aqara light sensor and the hue multi sensor are other zigbee multi sensors that work with smartthings, but also require custom code.

So I just don’t know anything that meets both your requirements for price and local operation at this time on the smartthings platform. I’m not sure there is a stock Zigbee lux sensor DTH.

1 Like

An option… which I have used but not presently, is a basic external lux sensor, smart plug and an external led 10w light wired in

Lux meter trips at 70 lux, power sense smart plug detects current draw, you will need the led light wired into the lux sensor so power can be drawn

Kinda makes a smart lux sensor but admittedly it’s not to everyone’s needs

1 Like

Just to be sure on this. Lux and light sensor is the same thing right?. I currently have an €850 galaxy S9 plus light sensor but it is a bit too expensive for my taste. Also the thing with custom code is that we don’t know if it will work after the IDE retirement.

1 Like

Yes, The mathematical measurement of light on a surface is “Lux.“ Because Lux is the amount of light at a specific physical point, that’s what most sensors report. Lumens would be the amount of light being given off in all directions, but most inexpensive sensors can’t really measure that.

So when you buy a lamp, the manufacturer will list how many lumens it gives off. But when you use a sensor, it’s probably only going to report the amount of light that is falling on a specific spot, and that would be lux.

A typical smart bulb will give off 600 or 800 lm. (lumens)

But the lux report will be much higher because it’s for all the light sources put together hitting that one spot that the sensor is checking.

Dark, cloudy day: 1,000 lux, or 20 micromoles per second per sq meter
Indirect daylight: 10,000 lux, or 200 micromoles per second per sq meter
Direct daylight: 100,000 lux, or 2,000 micromoles per second per sq meter

1 Like

It’s a good job f stop and focal length are not part of smartthings
:grin:

1 Like

What are these?

Btw they said that 2 months ago we would get some real transparency for whats to follow but after 2 months and still nothing.

1 Like

Photographic subjects that JD could easily elaborate on… at great length :rofl:

1 Like

I would look into Tuya on Aliexpress. Many of their sensors work with generic DTH and so work locally. If/when I try their lux sensor and confirm it works I will let you know. Sensores Zigbee TUYA no Hub Samsung SMARTTHINGS - YouTube

Maybe @Patrick_Duarte can chime in here

But I don’t think there is a generic Zigbee lux sensor DTH, is there? There’s one for Z wave, but I didn’t see one for Zigbee. If there is one, can you let us know what it is?

JD, I just looked through everything and Nope… I assumed there was. Sorry

1 Like