[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

Technically, it’s a SmartApp in the way that it integrates with ST and your SmartThings devices, but it is a browser based application that allows you to monitor/access your ST devices on all sorts of devices (Phone, Wall mounted Tablets, wtc.) that wake up when you walk by and display an ActionTiles panel with access to all of your SmartThings devices. Ability to enter a security code on any of the tiles to restrict who can turn on/off a device.

Two places you can go. Here in the community:

Or the official ActionTiles Community / Support Forum here:

http://support.actiontiles.com

1 Like

I need some help. For the life of me I can’t get through the process to install nst manager. I’m new to smartthings and this is my first time using git hub or this smart app process. I’ve tried following directions but I can’t get far. On github on the right there’s that button clone or download. I believe I’m supposed to copy th code in that box correct? When I try pasting in in the “from code” section in the smart apps page I get and error. Are there any good video that show this process? Or can anyone give me a comprehensive walk through. My knowledge on programming is 0. I’m struggling. Thanks!

These are very detailed instructions. Have you tried following them yet?

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NST_Manager#Installation_Instructions

Not sure I saw that set of instructions yet. Let me try those. Thanks! I’ll be back if I fail miserably. I appreciate it.

1 Like

When copying the code from GitHub, you need to be viewing the Raw code which you can select when viewing GitHub in Desktop mode. That more than likely caused your issue in IDE.

But as @ogiewon pointed out, use the official NST Manager installation instructions. It will take you some time to get through, but if you read it all the way through (skimming not allowed - I will know) you will have no grief later when everything is working as you intended it to. :grinning:

One thing I recommend so that people understand creating a SmartApp and the Device Handlers their first time, that they manually copy and paste the code from GitHub into their IDE. That will give you a better understanding of what occurs in IDE step by step. Then when you are comfortable with that process and you want to have the ability to update code automatically, then you can implement the GitHub functionality in your IDE and begin creating Repositories and pointing your SmartApps and Device Handlers to these Repositories which will allow you to perform a one touch (kind of) Update from Repo instead of copying and pasting in the future. <-------- this will make more sense as you begin reading the documentation.

2 Likes

I followed those instructions and I’m almost there! When I go to my smart apps on phone app and try to install it I get an error message. Says Missing client ID and secret?

Thanks tried to create my nest developer account but to register it says I have to put in my company information. Not sure what to write here. What have you guys filled in on this field?

Anything you want, your FB or IG page works.

My NST Manager stopped working today. It’s not getting updates from the thermostat. The only notable event in the logs says…|| Nest Manager | workQueue: busy processing command. I’m kind of new to this…any help debugging would be appreciated.

1. When did (how long ago) you install?
  2. What version is NST Manager?
  3. Look at live logging in IDE for NST Manager / and individual devices to see if you can see more information
  4. This is using the clientID and clientSecret from your Nest Developer account? Or did you install this far enough back in time that you are using the self generated token from NST Manager?
  5. Check the Nest Mobile app. Do you have any new messages over there (top of the app)?

1.) I installed on the 28th.
2.) I’m not sure how to check - but I did the publish from repo as instructed on the wiki.
3.) There is a lot of live logging - nothing notable though. That one message was flagged as WARN. I don’t know when it started happening though.
4.) My Nest Developer account.
5.) None were there.

I tried rebooting the hub. No avail.

To see the version that your mobile app is using, go into ST Mobile App / Automations / SmartApps / and select NST Manager. Screenshot that first page that contains the version number. I want to see what it shows for Location / Home Away Status on that page as well.

5.2.3. Updated: 11-20-2017

As far as ST goes - it isn’t having any issues. The automation is “working” from it’s perspective. But the messages don’t get to Nest Thermostat and the checked-in and last received fields were long ago. If an automation in ST sets the fan status - it shows in the app…but doesn’t actually affect the thermostat.

Can you please provide a screenshot of that screen? I want to see what it shows for the Location and Home Away Status and that there is no “null” listed there.

Not sure what you are experiencing here.

Go into Nest Developer and validate the 5 permissions you added and make sure that the Away / Thermostat / Camera permissions are all Read/Write. The other 2 will be read only . I don’t think this is the issue, but please check and validate

Sorry - I see I forgot to answer that. It wasn’t null. It was set to Home. I decided to reinstall. When I installed the first time I didn’t add the smoke/presence/camera devices (or select those permissions) b/c I wasn’t using those devices. After reinstall it is working again. If it happens again I’m better prepared to give you the information you need to help. Thank you for your time!

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I finally got it working. My final question is with my nest cam I had to enable public viewing. This makes a bit nervous. Is my camera more easily hacked or viewed now by random people?

I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. They would still have to figure out that randomized code that is generated for that camera when you made it public. There are probably better hacking tools to retrieve your user / pw than grabbing this code.

This same conversation came up a couple of days ago. You can check that out and also check out ActionTiles if you want to be able to view your cameras all from a centralized panel versus trying to have to go into the ST App.

Read from this post down yesterday:

and this post:

Was hoping someone could help me out. I’ve been using NST manager for quite some time with 3 nest cams and a nest protect. I recently purchased a Nest thermostat, so I added the DH for it via github integration, but when I got to the app to manage devices, I get an error screen “somethings wrong” and have the option to retry. I went to look at the logs and it says my nest Automations needs to be updated, but I’m pretty sure I have the latest code. Also i get a push notification saying “Error Can’t remove device. One or more are still in use…” All my other devices continue to work as they should.