Features that Don’t Have Parity with Classic [Feb 2021]

I found a way to to save contacts in the STHM Send Text Message Response feature on Android. I had an older version of the SmartThings app on my device so I uninstalled the latest version, and loaded the older version (in my case SmartThings_1.7.40-21) and that version saved the contacts I entered in the Response section of the STHM. And even after I updated back to the latest version, the contacts were still there. I haven’t tried to edit them in the latest version, but I’m sure if I did that would be deleted and nothing would be saved.

1 Like

By far the biggest loss for me is the ability to see which smart apps apply to a device - at the device level . Combined with that the loss of the ability to see which automation or smart app triggers an action in history.

Flying blind on system that needs regular maintenance! I could forgive the constant troubleshooting previously because it was so easy to see what actually caused an issue.

6 Likes

You can still see this in the IDE when you select the device… but yes, it is far more complicated now than before where it was visible in the app!

This only works for Groovy smart apps (i.e. Smart Lighting, webcore, etc.). It doesn’t work for Automations in the new app, Rules API, endpoint apps, etc.

3 Likes

Both of you should read more carefully…

1 Like

Some actions in history show which automation triggered the change but not smart apps from what I can see?

Seems to be limited to ST automations

Thank you JD, excellent thread which needs to be stickied

Item 26 is a massive loss

Small items
Smartthings app does not rotate to landscape on phone

Using Samsung DeX
On screen Smartthings app broadcast from phone has NO textual hyperlinks for anything !
This is basic usability and should be corrected easily and quickly, that’s a real no no, give the job to an intern, its really not that hard

2 Likes

an item to consider for #34 in the growing list…

if you have geolocation disabled in the app, you are unable to create Automations that contain location. It will prompt you to enable geolocation for the device. You could do this in the classic app with routines. This makes it difficult for users who have tablet devices that don’t need geolocation enabled.

4 Likes

rooms are limited to 20

3 Likes

Can you create the automations on your phone, assuming that does have Geo location enabled, and then they’ll show up OK on your tablet? Or the tablet won’t load them at all?

sorry, corrected that… you can’t create automations that use location from tablet with geolocation disabled.

i can create them on phone and then edit them from tablet as long as it does not involve changing geolocation in that automation. you can edit actions in the existing automation.

1 Like

The workaround is to create the Room in the IDE, which is known as a Group. That’s what I’ve been doing:

Click on any group and look for this on the upper right side of the screen:

6 Likes

Just a thought…

This forum used to be about innovative new ideas on how to use home automation, how to realize cool projects with Smartthings.

Now it is all about how to fix and work around things that Smartthings broke or that will be discontinued.

9 Likes

There’ve been a couple of cool Work from Home project reports recently. @jody.albritton has a very cool one on Automations based on signing into zoom:

And a much lower tech option for a similar use case is the Meross RGBW table lamp, which I am really happy with. It has a press button on top of it, so you don’t run into any of the issues of someone turning off the current. And It has a manufacturer provided smartthings integration, so no custom code is needed. This is now my favorite choice for colored light notifications. The price is back up to $38 after the discount code is applied, but I think that’s still a good price to very easily solve the “on air“ notification issue. :sunglasses:

Actually, as I think about it, you could combine these two and have Jody‘s project turn on the Meross light. :thinking:

So there are still some good forward-looking “this is cool“ home automation projects being posted, but definitely the percentage is down.

1 Like

Another broken thing: not all lights are recognized as lights, even though their color can be changed in the ST apps. Can tell by which lights have a bulb icon vs switch. The switch type lights cannot be used in the new Samsung UI 3.1 that allows the phone’s alarm to turn on lights.

4 Likes

Room/device order lost every time app is logged out of. Of course there’s no reason to log out usually but occasionally it just happens or Support tells folks to log out and reinstall …

2 Likes

Item no8

Fibaro RGBW controlers
The original app had 3rd party created DTHs created back in 2016/17, these integrations exposed ALL of the devices configurations and options, some of us went to a lot of trouble and cost installing and integrating lighting based on the reliability of the product AND control from Smartthings

The DTHs created can no longer receive updates to this version of the smartthings app, the creators as far as I am aware are no longer available, Fibaro are not interested in creating integrations which leaves users with little control of the RGBW controlers

I agree manufactures create device integrations and ST are not responsible but on this occasion ST are fully to blame for the loss of control and as such It would be reasonable to request ST to look at the DTH created by @codersaur and to update it to current standard so we can regain control of our previously reliable devices

codersaur/SmartThings 3

1 Like

Fibaro is a company I wouldn’t support. They don’t care about providing software support, only hardware.

3 Likes

Me too i have already started removing their devices from my ecosystem