Broadlink RM2 compatibility (bridges 433 MHz and 315 MHz )

A friend is working on integrating the broadlink into smartthings…she’s sending the commands through the smartthings hub using hubaction so no open ports are necessary although she plans to offer an option to use an externally forwarded port for folks who don’t have a hub. She has plans to do a rewrite to work with the free rm bridge app due to some issues getting the author of the rm tasker app to correctly fix his code and reply in a timely manner. I’m currently using the old version with plans to try the new version with a 2nd broadlink I purchased so I could control the IR devices in an exercise room in addition to the ones in the living room. I can confirm it works quite well with my mitsubishi tv (on/off) and pioneer receiver (mute on/off)…you do have to be a bit quirky if you want alexa support as alexa only supports switches so I named a “device” “Receiver Mute” and turn it on and off to mute the shows…I’ve also used it and RF to control etekcity wireless rf outlets ($5 each) and led concepts bulb sockets.

2 Likes

Sorry if I’m changing the subject but does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the actual room temperature because my broader link is 10° warmer than actual temperature

Rudi, Is there anyway you can share this? I am just looking for a device to control my RF based projector with Smartthings/Wink/Alexa etc.and this has seemed like the best device… I’m desperate!

I’ve inquired about it but will have to wait to see what she says. Since she’s doing a rewrite I’m not sure she wants the current version distributed.

update She’s ok with this being distributed but you should be aware that the user/pass authentication in the rm tasker app is broken, it’s currently priced at over $5 and the author has not been that cooperative which is why she will eventually rewrite it to work with the free rm bridge app. The rm bridge app can also handle multiple broadlinks which the tasker app does not do. Anyway…the instructions you want are in the readme at: https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-LAN-Control

4 Likes

Thank you so much! A lifesaver!

I finally got my RM2 and got it work and tried some IR codes from my TV remote.

Works so far… Thanks for the script

I was thinking on maybe how we can build and improve it. I know this isn’t a “smart” device and you can’t really poll the current position of the switch, but does ST have the capability to remember what the position of the switch is the next time you try using the switch or if another user in your hub try to?

What? What are you trying to do?

The devices on the broadlink don’t report status so although smartthings may try to keep track of state it has no way to know you manually turned off a device using a remote for example.

Well I have 3 broadlinks going now…one in living room, bedroom and exercise room…each can control RF but they also have asssociated IR devices in each room…for example when I say “alexa turn on treadmill time” (virtual switch) using alexa helper and a smartthings routine it turns on the room light, tv, android tv box, soundbar and a tower fan in the room gets set to “high” which involves sending the same code 3 times as it goes from On/low to medium to high to off.

Info now at https://github.com/beckyricha/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/

I spent yesterday transitioning over from the unreliable RM Tasker app to the free RM Bridge app.

3 Likes

Hello.
i have bought a broadlink tc2 (2gang), work fine for 5minutes only then stop completely to work. Even the led in front is switch off.

Is there any solution?
Thanks.

Hi,

How did you make it work?

if i were to use the broadlink with ST, it won’t be able to show me the status of the device ? example i won’t know if my tv or fan is switched on or off … Correct?

So in that case… is there any other device or hub that i could use instead of broadlink?

Thanks

Hi Rudi

I have tried ur friend’s work with RM bridge.
The device has appeares on my android smartthings app, but it doesnt do the job at all. It doesnt switch on/off

In fact I have followed all the steps she wrote.

Do you know what is possibly wrong?

Since I can’t see your setup I can’t really help you. Consider screenshots next time. I’ve switched fully to RM Bridge from RM Tasker and it’s working fine for ME. A few tips. If you create a device called “Living Room Lamp” then in the device you have to configure “Living Room Lamp off” and “Living Room Lamp on”. Note that the on and off HAVE to be all lowercase. This has burned me multiple times. When you record a device for on and off…use the test button…that tells you that your broadlink recording is good. When you make the smartthings device…test IT right then and there before making the device viewable to alexa. This helps you identify where the disconnect is occuring. I’ve also had some luck doing an export of all codes to a text file then editing the text file so for instance on infrared devices I only ever record and test an Off (See I capitalized it AGAIN and I shouldn’t)…I then cut and paste it a 2nd time to make the “on” ensuring less issues. If it worked once it will work the 2nd time. You then “Import” that list and the new devices show up. If none of that works then take some screenshots of the device list in the rm bridge web app ( http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/rm_manage/manage_codes.html ) and in smartthings (web) https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list

The problem isn’t the BROADLINK. The problem is the devices you are using do not report back a status. Your vcr doesn’t report back to the broadlink “Hey I’m on” and the wireless outlets don’t either…at least the outlets have discrete on and off codes so you can make sure the device goes OFF when you want it off and not that you just toggled it on like the infrared or the cheap wireless sockets that only have one code for on/off. You could try to write something kludgy to keep track of whether the device is on and off but if you ever manually turn a device or light on/off you just threw everything out of sync. If the broadlink ever misses a device because you were standing in front of it…it’s out of sync.

Bottom line is, if you want status then instead of paying $21 for 5 wireless outlets (https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/) you get to pay $21 (minimum) for 1 smartthing outlet that DOES report back status AND you have to have the smartthings hub. https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/smartpower-outlet

$21 is best case scenario using coupons that become available from time to time for both devices. $30 is the going rate for both without those coupons.

1 Like

It is appear on my Smartthings smart apps on my android, but it doesnt do anything when you press the button

Looking forward to hearing from you
Thank you

`Not working with RM Mini 3 :frowning:

Do you or do you not have a smartthings hub? If you do not, then you have to open a port on your router and forward that port to the android device running rm bridge on it’s port. There is rm bridge and then there is the rm bridge web ui. They are not the same thing. The webui is what is used to record codes. On the rm bridge web ui screen you displayed if you clicked on “load devices” you should have seen every code you’ve recorded via the web ui ie “Living Room Lamp 1 on” “Living Room Lamp 1 off” etc. The android device is what actually sends commands to the broadlink. I’d say you’ve got some disconnects somewhere. You’d also need to be using the RIGHT smartthings device managers and if you don’t have the hub that manager would need ip address (or a dynamic dns) to forward the commands to along with the port on the router.

You need to specifiy if you have the hub or not…you then need to confirm you have the device handlers setup correctly because if you have the hub you have to set a variable with the ip and port of the local android device and port running rm_bridge(app). If you don’t have the hub then you are using a totally different device handler that requires the url and port of your home router (which also has to be setup to forward the response to the rm_bridge app). If you don’t have a static ip internet address then you’d need to use one of the dynamic dns services… ie dyndns.com

Rudie, I do have smartthings hub and Harmony hub
can we have a chat in google+ or skype or something. Might be easier that way?

1 Like

I just copied and paste the Broadlink RM Bridge Switch LAN as instructed, then changed the xxx to my ip and port that showed on rm bridge(app).
Other thing I nees to change?

Hi Rudi

I have spoken to Becky herself and she’s very helpful

The problem was the smartthings hub wasnt connected to the device.

when adding device to smartthings, it needs to make sure that smartthings both hub and location on the drop list to be added.

I edited and now it is working fine.

Thank you very much for your patience and your help too, deeply appreciate

All the best