Broadlink RM2 compatibility (bridges 433 MHz and 315 MHz )

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx16JS6YUC0QEVU/?

Has anyone put together a guide on how to use the linked product with Alexa or ST?

Also is there a way to use an existing Logitech remote with this?

I don’t think anyone has written a stand alone SmartApp & Device Handler. I took a look at the API, I don’t know why this requires an android app. I am considering buying it and building the SmartApp & Device Handler. Will just need to think through how I want it to work as it will have to be dynamic. Meaning creating virtual devices for devices controlled through the Broadlink and most of them won’t report back. It will still be better than a harmony as it will be cheaper and you won’t have to worry about “activities”.

3 Likes

Here is beckyricha’s code with instructions.

This will give you basic on/off control. Status is not reported because you are not controlling smart devices. So the SmartThings app will always show that the device is ON.

User itsamti (a few posts above) forked beckyricha’s code so that the SmartThings remembers the last command you sent. If you decide to use itsamti’s code, read his directions carefully because he uses Device ID instead of Device Name.

I personally use a hybrid of beckyricha & itsamti’s code.

I’m wondering why the need for the android bridge. Why can’t ST send LAN requests. Maybe I’m wrong, will look into it.

This is taken directly from beckyricha’s github page: "Android app used to “bridge” between the Broadlink and web-based services like smartthings. This is needed because Broadlink does not publish information that would allow users to directly interface with it. "

I use a cheap android box to run my bridge and it’s been working fine.

You may need to look at broadlink api doumentation and may be reverse engineer RM Bridge code to understand what rm bridge does after getting http commands.

There may be a chance to skip RM bridge if we understand how RM bridge sends on/off commands.

As others, i have android tv box so no issues for me.

@ing3nieur Would you mind sharing your code? @itsamti I couldn’t get your code working either and have no coding knowledge :frowning: but would love to learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

@m1key here you go: https://goo.gl/fqXyHT

Keep in mind I’m not a coder as well. I just looked over @itsamti code and pasted bits and pieces of them into beckyricha’s original code. Basically I inserted itsamti’s buttons. I also used his code to change from using Device Name to Device ID. So when you create a new SmartThings Device, you would place whatever you named the device in RM Bridge in the Device ID field instead of Device Name. This gives you the flexibility to change the SmartThings device name without having to change the RM Bridge code.

1 Like

Thanks @ing3nieur, I’ll have a look at the differences later, I’m sure I’ll learn something from it :slight_smile: and thanks @itsamti, beckyricha, @Rudi_Pittman :relaxed:

Thanks to @beckyricha and the others on this topic for the RM2 support. Thought I would share some details on my experience to help others. I’m using the newest RM-Pro. Tried the RM mini3, but had intermittent WiFi connection problems. For the RM-bridge, I run it on an old Fire TV stick connected to constant power. Once I set it up while plugged into a TV and enabled “launch on startup”, I disconnected it from the TV and just leave it plugged into power. Works great. Sideloading the RM bridge app to the Fire stick was simple as well. A few other observations from my experience:

1. The RM-bridge app had to be running on the same WiFi SSID as the RM-Pro. I have several SSIDs in my home that are all on the same network, but it wouldn’t work unless the the bridge app and the device were on the same SSID.

2. When learning IR commands, I had to press the button on the remote immediately after clicking the learn button on the fun2code web page. Otherwise, I would get an error.

3. This may be obvious to others, but if you are just using the ST Hub/RM-bridge on your local network, you can use the offline version of the fun2code pages (which you download from that site) and learn codes that way. You do not need to mess with your firewall. Just put the local IP address of the device running RM-bridge into the STApp code.

I’ve been using the RM Bridge Switch Cloud Multikeys for a couple of months, now it doesn’t work.
redid everything from scratch and still no joy. Anyone know of anything going on with this?

Thanks.
Bill

Just got this working. I skipped the smartApp and just created a custom device handler with the commands being sent to the hub. Still need the Android App running.

Super stoked I can control my Christmas tree through ST. If Anyone has a Smart Tech Christmas tree should look into this.

@beckyricha1 thanks for doing the leg work on this.

Excellent. I’m glad you got it working. After I finish some other projects
I hope to do some clean up on it that will make it easier. There are a
couple of good contributions from pull requests I want to follow up on. My
bigger goal is to write an Alexa app that can skip smart things with this,
but that’s down my list a bit from some other projects.

1 Like

I am hoping to figure out how to remove the Android requirement. Going to be doing some packet sniffing in the next week or so.

Hi Becky

THanks you very much for the work you have done to bring us the RM Bridge app.

I have been using it but am now trying to figure out how to change channels on my Sky box.

I have seen it is quite easy in the E-Control app - is there a way to export buttons from this to your app?

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. My tree is hooked up this way too. Mine has
remit control, but anyone can do it with the etekcity outlets. I also
hooked up my Christmas village and some other lit up decorations. “Alexa,
turn on Christmas” lights the place up. Turn off Christmas sounds a little
sad, but is effective :slight_smile:

1 Like

This + Etekcity ZAP remote controlled plugs x5 is like the cheapest smart plug combo.

I used the device handler code here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/itsamti/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/master/Broadlink%20RM%20Bridge%20Switch%20LAN

To record EtekcityZAP remote controlled plugs, you need to click and hold the button for a second multiple times instead of holding the button the entire time.

When creating new devices, make sure you put the exact name (case sensitive) you used on the RM bridge WEBSITE as device IDs.

Just got Compustar Car remote starter installed on both my cars. It also got 3 times lock button press to start car feature too.

I was expecting RM2 can learn either Compustar remote or OEM remote, No go for me :frowning:

Now only way i could figure is

1. buy spare remote from ebay for 10 dollars
  2. solder hard wire on lock button
  3. use relay to Etekcity outlet to on/off Lock button
  4. Write custom device handler which will ON/OFF lock button 3 times

Still thinking before i go that route or do i really need it. I dont want my 4 yr old to tell Alexa to start Dad’s car :smiley:

Did someone else tried it with RM2 and got any positive results?

Anyone tried to learn Simplisafe’s fob’s codes?
This would make the alarm respond faster instead of using the web request method.

Doubt it will work for car remotes or garage door openers, at least any made in the last 10-15 years. It would be very easy to be listening for codes and replaying them. It was a common attack to listen for garage codes years ago (or so I am told)

Nowadays they usually rely on rolling codes. You can still intercept and bypass with the right hardware, but way more difficult.

I would assume the same for SImplesafe fobs.

1 Like