Brilliant Control - Claims It Will Work with SmartThings (But limited Integration)

For that price, it ought to include an iPad… or at least an iPad Mini. :apple:. :smirk:

3 Likes

Any update on whether we can control the load attached to Brilliant from Smartthings yet?

2 Likes

I’m still curious about this as well, such a show stopper. The way I see it, considering the current price point, there are three show stoppers for me:

1. Needs to be able to switch to Google Assistant built in as well as Alexa.
  2. Needs to be controllable from another hub such as SmartThings.
  3. Needs to have the ability to be able to control different types of loads (dimmer, switch, fan, etc).

Until then, it’s completely unjustifiable, for me at least and I’m definitely not trusting IoT companies with “it’s coming, promise” ever again.

2 Likes

@erocm1231 is there a way to securely attach the pad to the backplate? With like a security screw or something? So that if I install them in a rental home, they cannot be removed by the guests?

Additionally, can the settings/configuration be locked out so no one can change it but you?

1 Like

I agree with what you said Benji. Those are showstoppers for me as well. I’d pay the steep price if it had those features. Maybe one day. Or maybe something else comes to market first so they better hurry the market is moving quickly. But I was shopping tonight and would have added to the cart.

That is a good idea, but no, no physical lock on it. The face just slides up.

Also, no way to lock the settings yet either.

1 Like

annnnnnd more show stoppers :frowning:

Thanks for the info Eric.

So, are there any other commercial alternatives to Brilliant right now? Probably not…

There have been several attempts over the past few years, and the task should be getting easier overall since technology is cheaper and integration of multiple smart home products is trending (eg., Alexa ecosystem).

Pricing and ease of use is likely to be the biggest challenge, as touch UIs are ironically harder to make friendly than voice.

Kickstarter ain’t gonna cut it in this space. Brilliant was lucky to get $ millions in VC funding.

Too bad that luxury targeting vendors don’t want to bother with the low-end…

https://noonhome.com

1 Like

Hi All, this is Gaurav from Brilliant. Really appreciate the feedback on this thread, and wanted to provide some clarification around some questions that have been asked here.

• We are publicly available and are shipping units.
  • Regarding a way to lock certain settings on your Brilliant Control, we have been developing this feature and it will be available to users very soon. It is currently in testing.
  • We are a smart home control that replaces your regular light switch. This means we do have the ability to control different types of loads (including dimmer, switch, fan, etc). We also support multi-way configurations.
  • Thanks for your feedback on having SmartThings Hub control loads that are directly connected to Brilliant. We take these requests seriously and will evaluate priority within our roadmap.
4 Likes

@gaurav_brilliant what about physical locking of the pad on the wall? What if I place these in a rental place and they got stolen/destroyed because they just slide off the wall?

Are you 100% saying I can replace my light switch and my fan speed switch in two gang box or is the fan just going to be limited to on/off? You’re not exactly clear on this point.

Is there going to be Google assistant built in? Has Google actually said yes and there a roadmap for this or has it even been agreed yet?

Finally, for this to be something a lot of us are willing to invest in, what is the situation with being able to control the Brilliant switches from SmartThings, no the other way round.

1 Like

Hi Benji,

Regarding the physical locking of the pad on the wall, thanks for this suggestion. We are exploring ways on how to address this for this use case.

When you replace your light switch panel, if one of the switches controls a fan, it will be limited to on/off functionality. Given that our software is built to evolve, we hope to grow this functionality as time goes on.

You can currently control the loads connected to your Brilliant via Google Assistant. We are working with Google for getting this built-in – our vision is to be Voice Assistant agnostic.

As I mentioned above, controlling the Brilliant Control from SmartThings is on our roadmap. We will update this group when we have a better idea of timing.

4 Likes

I appreciate the response though I’m not entirely sure this is going to be something you’ll be able to evolve with software if you haven’t already designed the hardware to be able to control a variable speed fan.

I’m looking forward to it but at the current cost, there are just too many show stoppers for me personally. Sort out everything I have mentioned and you have yourself a customer.

@gaurav_brilliant Is there an API to brilliant? I can write a smartthings module if the API is just made accessible?

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback!

At this moment, the Brilliant Control does not have a public API or SDK to integrate with. If this is something you would like, please click this link to indicate your interest.

Done. It asks for your email twice though?

Good catch, that is resolved. Thank you!

I just bought four of these controllers. I hope they are as good as they sound.

I appreciate that Brilliant responded to this thread. I would like to see Smart things integration accelerated to market please, both for my selfish reasons and also because I see this integration critical to Brilliant succeeding. Also Google voice integration would be fantastic.

I would love them too, I have two rental properties right now that would greatly benefit from them, but there are just too many show stoppers for me personally right now.

I really hope Brilliant addresses all the points I’ve made previously, I would really like to buy into their devices.

My one switch Brilliant arrives today. I’ll provide my review on some of the questions in this thread after I have some time to play with it.

2 Likes