Brand new hub will not activate

Hello,

I purchased a new V2 hubs directly from smartthings.com. I received the hub and the things I ordered and began to set things up this morning. Put in the batteries, plugged in ethernet, plugged in to wall outlet. All was well so far. Opened up the Smartthings app (android), created an account, and then typed in the welcome code as instructed. After a few seconds, I get a red bar at the top of the screen that says “This hub was previously used and cannot be activated. Please contact support@smartthings.com” which I have done.

Is there anything I can do besides wait on Smarthings presumably slow response? I received this as a reply when I emailed in:

This email is to notify you that we have created a support ticket for your request. We’re very sorry but we may be a bit slower than usual getting back to you. We have a number of new and old users alike that have contacted us with questions. Between our new Hub, new mobile experience, and the tremendous excitement around what SmartThings is doing, we have a sizable backlog of requests. Our support team will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible but we humbly ask for your patience. If you have anything else you’d like to tell us, you can reply to this email. Otherwise, we’ll be in touch as soon as we’re able.

I really hope this isn’t a sign of how my journey to smartthings will be.

@youdontneedthis I am sorry to report that SmartThings has been having very critical platform issues, since their upgrade to their latest V2 hub and with so many of their cloud based platform functions, like activation.

The SmartThings Support email only sends back an automated robotic response and obtaining any live support is slim to none. I have two such tickets into their queue and have yet to hear back.

You hub may magically activate, but it will definitely take someone on the ST backend to notice that they have an issue.

I unplugged it from the wall, waited 5 minuted, replugged, and it activated itself magically. shrug

There you go! Hard to tell what happened to solve this issue, but now you can move on to the next stage!

When I received my hub I had the same problem as the first poster: “This hub has been previously activated…”.

But unlike many, I sent an email to ST support and received a reply within hours. They had to reset the database to clear out my “Welcome Code” – and this was the day after Christmas.

Now I’m passing my hub on. What do I need to do to ensure that the next person does not receive this “Already Activated” message? Is uninstalling the Android app enough? Do I need to contact support and tell them to clear the Welcome Code? Before I disconnect the hub?

Thanks,
Barry.