Bought a used dimmer switch

So I bought a used GE 45606 2-way dimmer switch. I have an old house without a neutral wire which this dimmer does not require, so it’s perfect for me. However, I suspect that the previous owner did not unpair/exclude the switch from his system before he sold it to me because I’m having a lot of trouble pairing this to ST.

So I have 2 questions…

1. Firstly, does this switch even work in ST using the “dimmer switch” device type? Is there a better device type I should be using?
  2. Is it possible to reclaim this switch as mine? Can I exclude the switch from his system somehow? Reset it or something?
  1. Firstly, does this switch even work in ST using the “dimmer switch” device type? Is there a better device type I should be using?- I am not sure if it is the exact same dimmer, but I have a GE dimmer that works perfectly well with standard “z-wave dimmer” device type.
  2. Is it possible to reclaim this switch as mine? Can I exclude the switch from his system somehow? Reset it or something?- It is not a problem if the previous owner didn’t exclude it: any hub/controller can issue exclusion commands. You can put the smartthings hub in exclusion mode through the app. The switch needs to be installed (or at least hooked to power). In the app (starting at the dashboard): 1) hit “dashboard” in the top left corner, 2) hit the gear in the top right corner, 3) Scroll down about two thirds of the way down page, find and click the name of your hub and click on it, 4) Click of “z-wave utilities” 5) Select “General Device Exclusion” and follow the instruction. (basically wait until the app says go, then hit either up or down on the switch until the app acknowledges that it excluded the device).
1 Like

Thank you! I followed the directions and it said “one device was excluded from the system” so I think that worked because I’m not missing any others.

Only problem is that I still can’t pair it. I’m going to try some more tonight and move the hub closer to the dimmer.

Also, I’m not seeing the “z-wave dimmer” device type but I believe I read elsewhere that that’s the same as “dimmer switch” so I think i’m good there.

You are right. I just hopped into IDE and it is now just “Dimmer Switch” .

I haven’t been playing around with IDE as much as I used to…