[OBSOLETE] Bosch Motion Detector

I stumbled across this topic while looking for something entirely different but have some experience with these units. I purchased 5 of (ISW-ZPR1-WP13) motion sensors back in March of 2017 and followed the instructions provided by digitaldiscount on installing the recommended custom DTH. But after reading this thread I just switched them all over to the one that runs locally (learn something new every day). 2 of the 5 paired immediately, 1 took me hours, 1 took me a couple nights, and I finally gave up on the 5th after blowing through a week of evenings. I went through the same process with all 5 sensors sitting inches away from the hub with brand new batteries that I tested with a meter before using. I eventually got 2 of the hard to pair sensors to connect by repeatedly tapping on the metal switch on the back for about 5 minutes while staring at event logs praying to see the elusive catchall message. If after 5 minutes it failed to pair, I reset the unit by removing the batteries, installing them in the proper order, rinse and repeat. A little over a year later and I also have the same problem with 2 of the 4 that others have described. Specifically 2 of the 4 eventually stop reporting motion but the temperature continues to report. If you remove the batteries (without going through the reset process) motion starts working again. Based on this experience, I am 99% convinced that they have a quality control issue with these particular devices. Those of you having problems are not crazy…you just got bad ones. Those of you who had no issues at all just got lucky.

Since that time, I’ve spent endless hours learning all about electronics and numerous programming languages, in a quest to create my own system including my own end sensors, switches, and other end devices/hubs… I’m an engineer by trade (Chemical not electrical or software) and this has turned into a hobby and never ending quest for more knowledge.

A few months ago I was in a messing around with PIR sensors mode after buying a box of 10 from Amazon for around $16 [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0140WFNYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Of course you need a microcontroller, software, and a ton of free time to turn these sensors into something useful.

PIR sensors come in two general form factors, adjustable and non adjustable in terms of sensitivity, how long they output a high signal after detecting motion, and ultimately the reset time delay before they will trigger on motion again. However, it is possible to adjust the trigger timing of the non-adjustable variety if you are willing to bust out a soldering iron, like watching how-to YouTube videos, and are willing to hunt down and read datasheets for electronic components.

Obviously not for everyone but for the few of you who might, here is a introductory article on PIR sensors including a discussion on how you can swap out resistors and capacitors to change the trigger time of a non-adjustable sensor https://learn.adafruit.com/pir-passive-infrared-proximity-motion-sensor?view=all. Personally, I found it easier to just buy a big bag of the adjustable ones to mess around with. I found the best solution is to set them to their fastest retrigger time and write software running on the microcontroller to adjust as needed (e.g. a 2 minute delay for a bathroom light, a 15 minute delay for the garage/workshop both of which get reset to the initial time delay by the software each time motion is detected. As many in this thread point out using webCoRE…software is easier to tweak than hardware but ideally the hardware should have a fast retrigger time for better system response and flexibility.

3 Likes