Bluetooth support

There’s no BT hardware in the hub, AFAIK.

we don’t support bluetooth. It was planned early on but we decided to leave it out.

we don’t support bluetooth. It was planned early on but we decided to leave it out.

Thanks for clarification, but I have to say that is disappointing. Any reason for that and any future plan for adding it back?

Also, if you could explain how the August smart door lock was controlled with ST (from one of your CES demo video this year) that would be great. Hope there’s a way to do it without being tethered to the phone always.

Just realized- wouldn’t it be easy for smartthings to add the core Bluetooth framework to the iOS app and easily integrate iBeacons into the app/system without any new hardware? Just messing around with some beacons and the placed and hue remote/server apps, seems like it would painless and really open the door to some great possibilities (granular presence, user-specific actions, modes based off multiple users locations, adjustable distance triggers, app controls automatically changing per room, each users music/notifications/lights/temp following them around house, smarter security, plus a billion more).

Let’s throw a lil core Bluetooth in the app, add estimatos in the store, and get moving!

wouldn’t it be easy for smartthings to add the core Bluetooth framework to the iOS app and easily integrate iBeacons into the app/system without any new hardware?

Sounds like a good idea. But without BT hardware built in ST, would it require iOS device to be around the hub all the time?

Sounds like a good idea. But without BT hardware built in ST, would it require iOS device to be around the hub all the time?

Not at all- just like the mobile presence uses the phones GPS for location, this would use the phones BTLE and communicate with the hub/cloud via wifi. Don’t need to be anywhere near the hub.

But yes you would need an BTLE enabled phone for it to work. Adding BT to the hub wouldn’t really do much other than acting a single beacon. If the hub is a receiver I guess it could detect btle fobs, but that wouldn’t add any real value over the current presence fobs, other than better battery life.

Essentially iPhones (and some samsung) already have everything needed and they are mobile, so much better bt receiver than the hub. Just add code!

this would use the phones BTLE and communicate with the hub/cloud via wifi. Don’t need to be anywhere near the hub.

I see what you mean. I meant that BTLE enabled phones need to be in the picture, rather than they need to be with hub in close proximity. I like the presence fobs but ability use many BTLE beacons as presence device would add value to users. For example I could use Automatic dongle for my car, which recently got iBeacon function via firmware update, as a presence device for the car and use the fob in the compartment box for something else.

Don’t get me wrong- I’m all for BT in the hub- just saying we can still do a ton of sweet BT stuff without having to get new hubs. Could always be an add on too. I see lots of issues with current presence in ST’s- adding BT presence tags with customizable distance setting (ie unlock my door when my keys are 3ft away) would be a huge upgrade. My mobile presence goes off when I’m 2 blocks away, certainly don’t want my door unlocking with that trigger.

Does the Automatic BT transmit when the car is off? Be annoying if it only works when the car is running.

Also you can already use ifttt with Automatic to trigger some ST’s stuff- and guessing use virtual devices to do anything with the limited triggers

Does the Automatic BT transmit when the car is off? Be annoying if it only works when the car is running.

Accodring to them Automatic draws very small amount of current even when the engine is off. I assume that current would keep beacon function working but I haven’t asked them about that.

Hi!

I saw some comment about BLE presence support in this thread. I see a LOT of opportunities in the presence detection space. What I can see is:

1. ST/BLE presence sensor with RX/RSSI threshold. (iBeacon to start with)
  2. One other option would be with the NEXT Gen Hub.

Option 1) would reduce the amount of HUB to cover different “Presence ZONE”! You see where I’m going!

Option 2) Would require multiple HUB… More expensive!

Thanks!
-Eric