Blue Iris motion detection to activate smart app

Yes it does. I was using before I bought motion sensors.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to be the case for me. The only camera that is updating it’s virtual motion sensor is the one that is set to record on motion 24/7. The other two in my kids rooms only record on motion when we are away and the virtual motion sensor does not update fo them when we are home and cause motion. Is there a special setting in BI for “detect motion, but don’t record”?

Unless someone could get back to you otherwise I won’t be able to check this until next week when I am there. Possible new update on blue Iris. I was using version 3.0 and recently updated to 4.0.

I think I figured it out. I needed to turn on motion under the trigger tab and un-check all the recording options under the video tab.

Has anybody taken the app from @Kristopher and enabled it for Parent/Child? It’s working great, just would be nice to keep my SmartApp list a little cleaner :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for this Kristopher and all those this helpful hints above.

I wanted to document the steps that got this working for me all in one post, as it took a bunch of mistakes to get working.

1. Create the SmartApp in IDE and enable oauth
  2. Create a Simulated Motion Sensor for each camera
  3. When setting up the SmartApp via Marketplace>My Apps, if you don’t get the URL code copied quickly, it will change and become invalid. Same with if you later reopen the SmartApp instance linked to the simulated sensor. For that reason, quickly copy the URL into a text editor and click ‘Done’. In iOS you can’t copy/paste the text, which is lame. A screenshot might be helpful.
  4. In Blue Iris, right click the camera>Camera Properties>Alerts>Request from a web service>Configure. Change “http:” to “https:” Now enter the URL from the Smart App (minus the https://, of course). But not so fast! Depending on where you live, you will need to change the URL to match how it looks in your IDE page. For me in the USA, that means changing “graph.api.smartthings.com” to “graph.na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com” If you don’t do this you will get a 403 error.
  5. If you enter anything in the POST Text field you will get a 405 error. Leave it blank.
  6. Click Test. If it worked, you should get “Received 0 bytes”
  7. Don’t go testing your camera yet or you will be disappointed. You must “OK” out of all the dialogs for it to take affect (trust me I wasted about 30 minutes before I closed the last dialog and then it worked).

I hope that saves some of you trouble!

4 Likes

Is this still working for anyone?

Using Postman to test all I get back is:

{
“error”: “unauthorized”,
“error_description”: “Full authentication is required to access this resource”
}

OAuth is enabled and instructions followed.

I’ve changed the URL in the smartapp to:graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com as I’m UK based.
Any help welcome!!

Cheers
Matt

Still working for me.

Thanks Jimmy - @slagle Do access tokens for newly installed smartapps still work?

Sorted with [Solved] (in a round-about way), Turn on/off outlet or switch from Blue Iris in the end.

cheers
matt

Any ideas on why copy will not work on the URL screen in the app? I have tried on android 7.1.1 and ios 10.2

Hi Shaun - I could not get it to copy in iOS - ended up taking a screen shot and copying from there initially - however I have found that [Solved] (in a round-about way), Turn on/off outlet or switch from Blue Iris works perfectly and is reliable and quick (less than 2 seconds detection delay from BI to ST).

Cheers
Matt

Kubicki’s Smart App do not work for me I got this “Error - bad state. Unable to Complete page configuration”

I’m sorry to ask but this smartapps just runs the http request right? You still need to run a routine or core to envoke a switch or sensor, right?

I can generate the link and test it succesfully from browser, seems like smartapp its working, the issue im stuck its that Blue iris seems to not send the alert for the webservice, everytime i try to test it, i got error 12007, and no idea how to fix it, any idea?

hi shaun not sure if you got it working but I had the same problem i could not coping it with my IOS So you can take a screen shot before it changes or you can just create it then go back in the app and click next and it shows you the code and you have all the time to type it out. I know i ran into problems at first because i didn’t realize how fast it changes.

Hi BBoy as far as i know i had to use core after and use the http motion as a sensor in the core app then you can tell the core to turn on the light or any other thing you want it to acctivate. hope that helps you out

I have this setup correctly with the SmartApp and simulated motion sensor. I know this because I can post the link in the web browser to successfully trigger the motion sensor. I can even invoke it when using the “Test” button in Blue Iris. My problem comes in where Blue Iris does not appear to be triggering the web alert automatically even though it triggers the “send push notification” to my phone.

I have adjusted the motion sensitivity settings, reduced timeout timers, and everything else I can think of. As a means of troubleshooting I setup a mobile app alert every time it triggers in blue iris, as well as, a push notification within ST if the simulated motion triggers. Again, I can see both push notifications come in when I use the “test” button and post the link into a browser but I only get the Blue Iris push notification when allowing the system to operate, no motion.

Any ideas? I’m getting the feeling I need to reach out to Blue Iris on this one.

Same issue here, and your suggestion worked - thank you!

I contacted Blue Iris and they helped me solve this by updating the services to your own Windows login for the service instead of LocalService. I can now push the HTTP request.

All, I think you may be interested in my BI Fusion app now that it includes motion sensing too. It creates a Server Device and Camera Devices (for each of your cameras), and enables profile syncing to SmartThings (and on-demand switching). It also has Blue Iris health monitoring, camera triggering, and obviously now motion sensing.

Right now it uses OAuth just like this thread’s app uses, but I’ve improved it a bit by letting you “view only” the URLs in settings, so that you can go back to make whatever changes you want in settings without having to redo all the tokens, as well as go back and view the tokens for new cameras without having to redo everything.

It also uses the same token for all the cameras, so you only have to type it all out once, then you can just copy and paste. Plus, it’s a parent/child setup, so you don’t have to have a billion smartapps. Just the one smartapp, and it’ll auto create your camera devices.

I hope you like it, I think it’ll be a really nice upgrade for you!