Bloomsky Storm

I did the same thing and have a Sky 1, Storm charged up just fine for me yesterday and is showing full charge today. I did make sure to point the solar panel S for best exposure. I assume it’s getting lots of sun hitting the panel?

I’ve got my Storm planted in the middle of my backyard for now to test it. Waiting for a predicted 1/2 inch of rain on Christmas day to really test it out. The BS app shows the rain in millimeters. (Darn the other 95% of the world that use the metric system! :smirk:)

I can’t find a way to change it to inches in the BS app. Anybody else notice this?

I understand the excitement and wanting to get it out ASAP, but you really need to let it charge before setting it up. I let my Sky1s on A/C until the battery was fully charged before I installed them on their solar chargers.
Buster Brown has my storm on the truck for delivery today. It will sit on A/C overnight, going to see grandson tomorrow, so it will be at least Sunday before I will get a chance to try and Mickey Mouse a Mount for it . Then wait for my tripod and warm weather to get it on the roof.

1 Like

Buy an Android. LOL Seriously the Android app lets you switch mm/In and was set to Inches default for me.

1 Like

You can also charged the Storm on the USB cable (connected to the dongle). I did that to get a full charge before putting it outside to brave the harsh, woolly world :wink:

So far, rain and wind detectors work fine — got some rain (in the desert, no less) the last couple of days, and the wind always blows around here. Getting data to wunderground and ST (Bloomsky (Connect)) is another story.

I just spiked it into the lawn, in the backyard for now :smile:

I don’t live in the dessert, already about a 4" frost in my front yard. If it is nice enough Sunday I might be able to mount it on the same 4x4 on the roof I mounted first Sky1 to until tripod arrives. ( bore a 1.5" hole down the middle of it. drive the spike in )

1 Like

You don’t consider a post card with a half dozen pictures proper documentation and instructions ??!!! . No packaging here either, box looks like it went to a soccer match, but the egg crate held up.

That was an adventure. No one of those 6 " instruction" pictures shows a little tab to find the USB port and reset button. It shows USB connecting up the middle of the mount ,same place as the solar charger. I ( wrongfully ) assumed it must be under the ( nonremovable) plate held down by the 2 screws.

I think I would rather have the 50 page manual in 25 languages than a bunch of drawings designed for a 5 year old. I don’t have any of the grandkids here to translate them for me.

2 Likes

Yeah, those little picture inserts were confusing as hell … didn’t look like anything on the actual Storm. Luckily for me, a corner of the rubber cover over the USB port was already sticking up, otherwise I would’ve have missed it. And nowhere in the “instructions” did it ever mentioned (that I could find) that you could actually charge the Storm that way. I connected the USB and left it overnight to see if it actually charged.

Light came on when I plugged it in. Figured letting it sit overnight can’t hurt anything. I didn’t even set up WiFi or anything yet.

Don’t be surprised if it’s already paired with your Sky. I didn’t have to do anything more after I connected the Storm to the USB, which was connected to he dongle. The light turned/flashes green (I think it’s green) and presto, instant connection — by far, easier than connecting the Sky1.

BTW, the dongle gets an IP number from you LAN’s DHCP server. I tried connecting to it from a web browser, but that didn’t work ---- guess it doesn’t have any services that you can connect to, out of curiousity. Storm’s wireless connection from/to the dongle is at 908 MHz — close to US Z-Wave frequency, I think.

Strange ( to me) that they went with 900Mhz to Ethernet hub. My Sky1 is 20+ feet up on my roof the other is 40’ from router on same level, but off the back railing of the deck. I have never had any WiFi issues with either. I was under the impression from KS documentation and " pairing/ comunicating " with a Sky that they were going to connect to the Sky directly, not to an Ethernet hub. Now I need to find an Ethernet switch with an open port within range of Storm. Swap out 1 of the 4 port switches in a bedroom upstairs for a 6 port. I have empty ports in the basement, but doubt it will be able to reach from the basement to the peak of the roof.

The BS website gives a range of 100 meters for the Storm wireless. Mine is about 100 feet from the dongle, in the backyard, but there’s three stucco walls and a room full of junk (storage) that it has to get through — seems to be a solid connection so far.

Well we all know how the " expected range" of wireless devices works in real life LOL. The need for more toys is not the only reason we all have at least 1 ZigBee & Z-wave device in every room.

1 Like

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong maybe I got a dud, but when I plug it in dongle gets no power to it, and one of the spinner pieces was broken so know there is only 2 on my storm contacted BloomSky and no reply

Hope you can get hold of BS. It’s probably going to be tough right now with people off for the holidays … and yeah, it sounds like your Storm is a good candidate for replacement.

As far as power you are using the supplied power supply with it plugged into the dongle right? Not even sure it will plug into the storm but just checking.

Yes the plug that we had to assemble, plugged directly into dongle, getting no lights

That sucks,

1 Like

Could be the power supply or the dongle that’s at fault. Never-the-less, you still have a broken anemometer.

There’s a phone # on their support site: (855)278-7080

I actually just threw my Sky1 and Storm into my electronics recycle pile. I have some project ideas for the solar panels when it warms up.

The Sky1 was having sensor errors (bad pressure readings) for months and finally got the fatal offline error around the time the Storm arrived. I did all the reset procedures several times which didn’t resolve the problem. And while the storm still reported wind and rain fine even with the Sky offline, neither the rain gauge nor the anemometer seemed particularly accurate compared to my Davis weather station right next to it (The Sky1 temp was also almost always 3 to 6 degrees too warm in sun, and humidity and barometer were wrong whenever I checked). It never bothered me since the Sky1 was free + shipping cost. Bloomsky was a fun toy.

But enough is enough. The API hasn’t worked with ST in maybe a month or more. And there’s only so many times I want to climb a ladder to troubleshoot buggy and accuracy challenged equipment. So my hopes to replace the aging Davis weather station with this more “modern” and connected equipment are dashed due to quality and accuracy problems. Meanwhile, the old school Davis software and 902~ Mhz wireless connectivity NEVER fails, isn’t dependent on sketchy APIs or cloud connectivity but I send the data wherever I want to with reliability that’s as good as my Internet connectivity.

I like Bloomsky’s ideas to modernize a mostly archaic and stable weather station industry. But in reality, you can still get a much more accurate and reliable full Davis Vantage Vue station kit and add a webcam for less cost than Sky2 + Storm. And while Davis and related software lack modern API support, you can totally control and share data in more ways than Bloomsky offers.

I’m still a fan though. I hope Bloomsky produces better products and reliability in the future.