Blink: wifi camera/motion sensor on Kickstarter

So true.

Does anyone know if the batteries are used as “backup” if the power goes out? I unplugged mine and it didn’t drop at all. But I’m not sure if it is even using the power if I have the batteries in. My old Aeotec doesn’t allow the batteries if powered.

The size is definitely a major selling point. I have ten of them spread around and they are very unobtrusive, as cameras go – about 1/8th the size of the many Foscams I’ve bought over the years, and smaller and less “camera-like” than even the D-links, Swanns, and their ilk.

The only downside, which was a philosophical decision that (it sounds like?) they may offer an opt-out on someday is the blue LED indicator comes on when the camera is either recording or being used in live-view mode. It was a privacy consideration, but it removes the ability for unheralded observation and may even get in the way of simple things like baby monitoring owing to the fairly bright colored light.

This blue LED is separate from the white LED that is used to illuminate a scene in the dark, which actually can be turned off.

I’ve seen a few people say this. Its hard for me to say if it would bother me or not since I haven’t dived in yet, probably not as all of my switches have blue leds if it were green it would drive me nuts!

But it seems like such an easy fix with white stickers many people use these on smart switch leds. Or if your ok with it a few white Coats of fingernail polish.

Well, the sticker thing would sort of work, but the truth is the white plastic housing kind of “transmits” the blue well beyond where the LED itself is, so there’s a general bluish glow over a much wider area.

Not to overstate it. It’s not super bright in any case, but it’s just that the blue is pretty much impossible to hide if someone wanted it to be 100% hidden (i.e. if you didn’t want your 12-year-old to know you were checking in to see if he was doing his homework, or using the Kindle)…

1 Like

Why not get another camera then? I have a Foscam C1, works great and it can integrate with ST. Right now only $49.
http://goo.gl/k42qwU

You see, the real beauty Blink is the mobility. Put it on places where you don’t have power. Otherwise, I would choose any other type of camera over this one.

I bought one specifically because I like the battery option.

1 Like

Can you use the motion / sound as triggers in ST ? What are the dimensions of it? It looks pretty decent.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but one of the other things nice about the Blink, is that the wifi seems to be contained to it’s hub which connects to the cameras so it won’t put a load on my wifi. Solves having to get another router to run them on.

1 Like

There is a Foscam Mode Alarm app that arms the camera when your mode changes to away. If your camera is set properly, it would capture photos or video based on sound or motion.

I am sure how Blink would be different from any other device connected to a router but I am not an expert on that. I have no issues running my two foscams to my routers.

Also the C1 can record to an sd card in the camera.

Dimensions depends whether is extended or not. Extended is 5 x 3 inches not extended 3 x 3 inches.

This is how the Blink camera looks hanging on a custom hinge:

1 Like

What’s autoinput and how are you using it?

Not right now. I suspect that eventually someone will develop a cloud-to-cloud setup where these could be used. I hope that eventually they do, but right now no.

This is correct. The Cameras communicate with the sync module, and that communicates with your WiFi router. I’m not sure what protocol the cameras use to communicate to the sync module.

1 Like

Autoinput is a Tasker plugin that simulates screen touches or clicks. For Blink, at certain times I had Tasker open the app and Autoinput “clicks” the Arm/Disarm button.

Btw Blink has indicated that the auto scheduling feature is supposed to be released in Q1. Local recording is anticipated in Q2.

2 Likes

Does Blink act as a motion sensor? It would be nice to have a motion sensor/camera that would be usable with HA functions.

Yes, it has a very effective motion detector.

Awesome, so hopefully, it can be compatible with ST and so I can add that in place of the planned motion sensor I was looking to put in.

I wouldn’t plan on that level of integration anytime soon with SmartThings. I might be wrong, but I suspect it’ll be a while yet before Blink is able to do a lot of software beyond improving the app and getting all the promised features live.

1 Like

Yeah, I think with all crowd funded tech projects, it’s probably best to wait for version 2 when all the promised additions would actually show up and all the bugs worked out. Especially since I didn’t go in on ver 1 or pre order, no sense in getting one now until all the promised stuff is actually available.

I agree for the most part with you @nomisr; but unlike ST, Blink did not fall out right on their way out of the gate. We all can recall those 1st, 2nd, 3,rd…days of headaches of ST user deployment. Blink gets a “D” for user communication. For problem solving, they are fairly good. Before I and a lot of others took to the threads for complaining. They released an update to their app on day 1 to fix a BIG Bug. ST takes a while…ST didn’t even have a self help area until after they started the Developer calls and I was complaining for that. Blink on the other hand already has one up…And it is still growing.

Sorry if I am a bit pushy on this, but Blink will in my opinion surpass our expectations. The only question I have…How far will they go?

1 Like

Hi @ErnieG,

Can you provide step by step instruction on how to acomplish Tasker performing Autoinput in the Blink app in order to ARM/Disarm?