Blink: wifi camera/motion sensor on Kickstarter

Are you using Tasker with AutoNotification? How is the lag. If the Blink cameras could act as motion sensors for SmartThings while they were disabled I would put one of these in every room of the house to replace all of my motion sensors. I am not sure they are sending any motion information while in a disabled state. I have noticed that the motion/LED module flickers at night even if the camera is disabled so maybe it has the capability to act as a motion sensor while it is not enabled. Anyone know for sure about the active status of the PIR when not enabled.

Yes I am using Tasker with Autonotification. Once the Blink notification is received it only takes a couple of seconds for the task to execute.
There is no notification sent when the camera is either disabled itself or if the the whole system is disarmed. I donā€™t know if the Blink itself registers motion if the camera is disabled.

I believe thatā€™s correct from what Iā€™ve been able to see no events are registered from a camera when disabled.

When the cameras are added as switches to Hello Home phrases, the mode change does not occur. I verified this by removing them from all of my modes and letting them run on a normal timer. Replicated for 3 days in a row.

Other than that, can you just add schedule for individual cameras on a single sync module?

I donā€™t understand. Are you referring to the hub mode? (home, night, away etc)? Itā€™s working fine here. Are you on the latest codes?

EDIT: I just verified it, did a goodbye, it changed the mode to away, locked the doors and armed the blink and foscam cameras. I did a Iā€™m back and everything disarmed and mode changed back to Home.

I get this: ā€œYou appear to be having a problem with your networkā€ error. When I have the Blink cameras added to the hub mode Goodbye! & Iā€™M Back! This maybe due to a bottleneck on my home router. I think just confirmed the bottleneck and the ST app lag in changing the mode. About 1~2 minutes.

1 Like

:smile: maybe should start measuring ST reaction time in minutes instead of seconds (and there I had dreams for milliseconds)

1 Like

@RBoy,
Alsoā€¦Smart Home Monitoring does not ARM(Away) when Blink cameras are in the Goodbye! routine.

The Blink cameraā€™s will arm when SHM goes into Away mode (when configured from the Blink Camera Manager). I think youā€™ve got the relationship backwards.
It doesnā€™t seem right to set SHM modes based on Camera arming/disarming, the causality of this should directed from parent ā†’ child, SHM determines the state of the state, the child (camera) should follow suite

You misunderstand me. I arm the SHM via the Goodbye! hub mode. I also tell the mode change to turn on the Blink cameras which are now available thanks to your great work with the code. I also manage my thermostat and mode change in there. With all of these things triggering at the same time, my home router and the ST hub are overwhelmed and donā€™t fire everything in this mode change.

That would be something to address with ST support. As a workaround instead of arming the cameras through the switch in the routines, configure the smartapp to arm the cameras when SHM changes mode (use the SHM integration features) offloading work from the routines.

1 Like

I am ahead of you. I decided to use the Smart Lighting to turn on the cameras at certain time and turn them off at another time.

Thanks for bouncing ideas with me.

1 Like

Anyone come up with a solution for getting notifications from a second blink module. I am installing a number of cameras in another location and just recieved this from Blink support:

Thank you for contacting Blink. Currently, the app doesnā€™t natively support Multi-System use. We are working hard to implement this feature. The temporary workaround would be to create 2 separate accounts for each system. You would need to sign out/in from the accounts to access the other one. This means that you would only receive notifications from the account that you are currently signed into. When we release Multi-System support, you would not need to do this anymore. When that feature is released, we will post an article on our Updates page linked below with more information. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I have an email into support to clarify some issues but was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution other then manually logging into the other account when SmartThings notifies me via a motion sensor.

Have you tried using the Blink Camera Manager?

Install the SmartApp twice (youā€™ll need to modify one line in the code, make singleInstance to false), and login with different accounts into each SmartApp and it should give you what you need.

1 Like

I use Tasker and SharpTools for most of my integration but Iā€™ve been meaning to give that a try. Now I have a reason knowing it can handle both modules. Thanks.

Give it a shot (we donā€™t have 2 sync module to try it yet) and let me know how it goes. It should work in theory

I have two sync modules but at present I have too many SmartThings hub issues to try this right now. Once they get the scheduler fixed Iā€™ll give it a try.

Is anyoneā€™s SHM not Arming since yesterday?

I removed Rboys smartapp for this reason yesterday. It appears to interfere with this. Once removed it works fine. For now Iā€™m using the other smartapp available to arm and disarme blink based on home/away status.

There are multiple issues with routines and are buggy, ST aware of the issue and is working on fixing it.
If your Switch mode in the SmartApp is set to Camera, it will slow down the routines since EACH camera needs to be enabled, the better way would be to change the Switch mode to System instead of Camera and that will be more reliable as it arm/disarms the entire sync module and not each camera.

However, the right way is to use the integrated SHM options in the SmartApp to arm/disarm the cameras, donā€™t use it directly via the Routines. When SHM is armed/disarmed it notifies the app to arm/disarm the cameras. You can independently control the modes (arm/stay/disarm) via the SmartApp options.