[DEPRECIATED] BitBar: Display & Control SmartThings from the macOS Menubar

I’ve already done that, twice. Nothing in Live Logging for me.

I had to remove the quotes from the URL and secret. which is why I suspect I didn’t see the info in the live logging.

did you publish and enable OAuth for the smartapp in IDE?

Yes I did.

by chance if you are updating, did you remove the old copy from Matt’s version. First time, I set up Kurt’s github and installed, I had two version of bitbar in my smartapps in IDE. I had to delete the old version.

I removed the old version of the app before doing anything.

You’re seeing logging happening for other stuff in your live logging?

I am, yes., including logging for this app when I add devices.

Went with this in the end and I’m up and running now. Something is obviously a bit pear-shaped with the install.

Thanks all for helping.

1 Like

One can also verify that one has the correct endpointSecret and endpointURL strings in the Smartthings IDE. Click the following order below in the SmartThings IDE:

1. Top of the Page: Click My Locations
  2. Bottom of the Page: Installed SmartApps List SmartApps
  3. Locate the BitBar Output App link and click it.
  4. Copy & Paste the endpointSecret and endpointURL strings using TextEdit into the the ST_Python_Logic.cfg file without quotes. This file should be located in the BitBar plugins directory.
3 Likes

When watching the Live Logging in the IDE, it looks like you have to save the SmartApp in order for it to log into the IDE, which makes sense. I did that and the info popped up in the logging.

1 Like

Did have a question, and I was looking the python script and didn’t see anything obvious as to why, but I am not getting the temperature in the menu for the thermostat either when it is cooling or when idle, but it does display ok in the Temp Sensor though. Any idea?

Monosnap 2017-10-08 14-36-15

FYI, mine is okay - two Nests like you.

It looks like you have mode set to Heat:Cool right? Perhaps the code doesn’t handle that. If I remember correctly, the attributes in the Nest API for the setpoints are different for Heat:Cool versus Heat and Cool alone. I got that from WebCoRE.

@kurtsanders While we’re on the Nests, an issue persists from the original version of this code in that Last Event is set to the same value for multiple Nests rather than individually. Not sure if that can be fixed?

1 Like

I have an Ecobee thermostat that correctly displays the temperature in the menubar. I cannot imagine why SmartThings would not provide the current temp for these thermostat API’s?

@Nezmo: I will check into the last event bug. I have two thermostats and this occurs with mine as well!

1 Like

Kurt,

Nest has Auto (which switches between heat and cool automatically), Heat, Cool and Off. I learned that the setpoint attributes for Auto are physically different from the Heat and Cool setpoints. I’m guessing that’s the issue here, ie, the code is only looking for the ‘standard’ Heat or Cool setopints, not the Auto setpoints. I hope I’m making sense.

AUTO uses coolingSetpoint and heatingSetpoint
HEAT uses thermostatSetpoint
COOL uses thermostatSetpoint

If your Nest is set to Heat or Cool (not Auto) then the setopint temps show correctly.

1 Like

@Nezmo: Thanks for heading me in the right direction. I will set my Ecobee to Auto mode and see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.

Right now, I am chasing the LastEvent bug right now.

1 Like

@Nezmo: The code behind what the Last Event represents is unknown, and appears to be the same time span for each thermostat. I checked the capabilities of the Thermostat device handler and their isn’t any information for that value or any variable that contains a lastEventOperation. I thought that it might represent when the HVACS last active, but that isn’t the case.

I have removed this erroneous value from the BitBar display in the updated python script. You will need to download the updates python script.

I have also set my Ecobee thermostat to Auto Mode and the BitBar menu shows the current temp. I am puzzled why your Nest is not providing a reading?

Kurt,

It may be the issue is unique to the Nest. Thanks for looking in to it. I don’t personally ever use the Auto setting so I don’t see this issue. It was @mtuckman that raised the problem.

Great, I’ll update shortly.

Many thanks for your ongoing work on this.

Just read this again. Look at the display before you expand. It says ‘Idle @ 0.’ So, you are seeing the same issue. That should be the setpoint.

Here’s what it shows when the thermostat is set to just Cool …

Well crap… That worked :slight_smile:

Not sure why I have it in Auto mode, it isn’t like there is a chance of needing the Heat in Florida with the exception of maybe 18 days in the middle of what we think of “Winter”!

1 Like