[OBSOLETE] BigTalker 2.0 -- Development

I meant test VLC from something other than SartThings.

VLC on PC and Mac has an option to stream. some notes toward the bottom here. http://raspberrypi.tomasgreno.cz/streaming-with-vlc.html

Just pick a music file and then set the IP address and port your PI is configured.

Just as a side note. VLC version running on Jessie is 2.2.7 Umbrella

used sudo netstat -lptn and it looks like port 8080 is open so I’m left scratching my head.

siwilson, What version of VLC are you running on your Pi?

Anyone use anything other then VLC on there Raspberry Pi?

I’m using gmediarenderer
but you can also use Kodi or Volumio distribution.

Thank you plantuch, I’ll give one of them a try!

Ok, … So I’m guessing here, but I think in order to get this working with VLC media player, the vlc-thing.groovy which was last updated on 12/22/2016 and created by Statusbits needs to be updated or I need to get my hands on an older version of VLC media player for my raspberry Pi.

OK! … so I figured it out! ver. 2.2.4 VLC Media Player works with Raspberry Pi ver. Jessie! … I will be testing with Raspberry Pi ver. Stretch to see if it still works, then the newer ver. of VLC Media Player. The problem is with the “vlc-thing.groovy” which was last updated on 12/22/2016, and created by Statusbits has not been updated to work with the new ver. of VLC Media Player! … Not bad for a 48 year old!

2 Likes

OK, so I went back to have a look at my PI3 config and it wouldn’t boot at all. Start from scratch, which was a challenge since I had forgotten what I did last time and most tutorials are not for the latest versions.

I now have a PI3 running stretch and VLC 2.2.6 working with VLCthing 2.0.0 and the latest Bigtalker (left them as before). Wasn’t straightforward though.

The tricky parts were to enable the web interface for vlc and set a password. This had to be done in preferences by showing all options. Use raspi-config to force use of the headphone jack

Make sure vlc is running as it does not auto start by default. For now I have logged in as pi and did a cvlc &. I will need to sort this out so it is automatic from boot.

1 Like

siwilson, Did you get back up and running? for automatic boot of VLC can you use Node Forever? If you plan on using Stretch getting Remote Desktop Connection can be a challenge.

It looks like I was incorrect about “vlc-thing.groovy”, and owe an apology to Statusbits. Every ver. of VLC that I’ve tried so far works. I can get VLC working if I follow the instructions at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=59814&hilit=vlc you just have to tweak the download URL a little. Just using the “sudo apt-get install vlc” wont work.

yep all working here.

I am running the standard 2.2.6 vlc. I did not bother to compile for the hardware accel. as I am only using it for audio.

Did you see his thread? $65 Home Automation Announcer

siwilson, Did you stick with Jessie? “Did you see his thread? $65 Home Automation Announcer” I didn’t but I will now, Thanks!

I was on Jessie, but on this rebuild I moved to Stretch. There is no real difference for this application as far as I can see.

siwilson, Thanks for letting me know that you got it running on Stretch using VLC ver. 2.2.6. I’m doing some testing and will try the same.

siwilson, are you using Raspbian Stretch Lite or Raspbian Stretch with desktop.

Installed the desktop version, but I am now running headless.

siwilson, I’m guessing your using Stretch file 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch. I was trying to install VLC 2.2.6 on Stretch ver. 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch and not having any luck. I’ll download the newer ver. and try again.