[BETA] Z-Wave Tweaker

developers
z-wave
dth_misc

(Gonzalo Parra) #42

I tried to do the same but after adding the GitHub repo and trying to import from it nothing shows, not sure why… Then I noticed the instructions on the readme ask to install the DH from code (copy/paste)…

(Joel W) #43

Old or new DTH or application, I like have GitHub integration, but not everyone does it. Oh well.

(Corey O.) #44

I have been working like mad to try and sync up a nano dimmer with 3 non-connected satellite dimmer switches. I was looking over the association group options, but I still don’t understand how it works. Could someone post a list of directions about how to do this? In addition, I was hoping for some clarification one the following:

1. What is an association group ID? Is this the group itself, or something unique to a device?
  2. what are node destinations?
  3. what are endpoint destinations?
  4. what is the difference between node and endpoint destinations
  5. which of these parameters are arbitrarily assigned and which do I have to reference somewhere else?

Thanks in advance, and Godspeed with this device handler. This is something that smartthings should have done by now.

You can’t use either association or multiple endpoints to make anything work with a non-smart device. So, I’m confused about what you’re trying to do.

Zwave direct association

Z wave direct association is used to allow one zwave device to send a message directly to another Z wave device without having to go through the hub the first.

Traditionally it was used either to create a virtual three-way so that a auxiliary switch could send an on command to a master switch. Or it was used so a motion sensor could trigger a siren.

Two devices, both belong to the same zwave hub, but by using direct association one is allowed to talk directly to the other.

It’s not used very much with smartthings because the hub won’t know what happened, so the App will get out of sync. But there are some situations where it can be valuable.

The Association groups used and what happens in each Association group are defined by the device manufacturer and listed with the official conformance statement on the Z wave alliance product site. (Look up the initiator device)

https://products.z-wavealliance.org

They are also usually listed in the user guide for the device.

So here’s the one for the nano dimmer:

Association group one is reserved as the “lifeline group” for all z wave plus devices. Older generation devices could use the association groups anyway they wanted to.

Endpoints

Endpoints are a completely different kind of hardware feature. Think of a power strip with five outlets. There is one device, but each outlet is an endpoint.

Node ID

“Node” Is commonly used to just mean any device on the Z wave network. The controller would be node one. The controller assigns the node ID to each zwave device as it joins the network, so the same model of device might have completely different node IDs in two different households.

If the power strip had a node ID of “4,” then The endpoints would probably be “4:1, 4:2,” etc.

You can look up the node IDs for your network in your SmartThings account in the IDE.

Parameters

This is the tricky one as far as getting the information. It’s up to each manufacturer, not usually listed on the zwave alliance site. Some manufacturers put the parameters in the user guide, Some put them on a page on their website, with some you have to write to get them.

(Corey O.) #46

@JDRoberts
Thank you so much for the quick and thorough response. A virtual 3 way with little to no lag is exactly what I want (except that it’s actually 4 dimmer switches with no common wiring). I created a webCore piston to sync them, but there is a ~4 second delay between commands. There’s also the issue of making sure that the piston doesn’t create event loops, which further limits the whole setup. Is it still possible to associate 4 dimmers so that they don’t have such a huge delay? Can this still be done if the devices are different models by different manufacturers?

Also, when you say “node ID”, is this the same thing as the “network ID” assigned to each devices as seen in the smart things API?

Thanks again for your help.

(Scott Ainsworth) #47

Corey
The trick is to understand that the the commands sent by association are one way. Meaning If Switch A has association capabilities it can send a command to Switch B and C. So if A is turned on B and C turn on. However, If B and C are devices that don’t have association capabilities they will not be able to turn on other switches (A). Each switch must be told what switches it should command.

You will need to look up the association groups available for each switch. If they do not have more than group 1 (zwave plus). They will not send commands to anything but the hub.

Once you have that sorted out. Its just a matter of loading the device Node IDs for the destination devices into each switch with tweaker, enter them in hexadecimal as shown in the IDE separated by commas (I believe).

From the look of the groups available for the nano listed above (assuming nano = A and others are B and C) I would

Load B and C into group 2. this will pass commands from the hub on to B and C. Then use commands to A to control the group by commanding A from the hub.

Load B and C into group 3 or 4. this will send basic set (on off level) commands if a button attached to A is used.

On B and C load A, C and A, B respectively (assuming they have and association group to load) to get the desired 3/4 way control.

You may have to change out devices C and B if they are not capable of at least one usable association group in order to get true three way action.

Keep in mind that z-wave devices are sloooow by nature (keeps power consumption low) therefore you may still see a fraction of a second delay. There is no verification that the command was received with association therefore sometimes some lights may not turn on and you have to hit the button again. Small annoyances.

If are really hung up on all the lights coming on at the same time you need to use scene commands. They work great for that however they are not going to give you 3 way switch functionality.

(Mark C) #48

Excellent tool, used it to set my NEO CoolCam motion sensor, just had to click the wake button then click sync on the app

(Mark C) #49

Battery device tested on and works:-
NEO CoolCam motion sensor, just had to click the wake button to get scan and then click sync on the app to change params
NEO CoolCam Siren, only used it to chage params but works fine, no need to press button to sync, would guess need to press button to wake to scan device

Hi
I’m in trouble, Aetech support suggest to use the Z-Wave Tweaker to set some parameter on their dimmer.
I have installed the tweaker handler, clicked on the gear icon, setted the address and parameter needed, saved, the sync icon become orange. I pushed it but nothing happen.
Now I have a pending update but no way to do it or come back.
Every other update (like clear the parameter I added) is not saved and I got “Sorry there is an unexpected error”.
I rebooted the dimmer, the hub, the app.
I can not switch back to the standard handler and got this error:
Error
500: Internal Server Error
URI
/device/update
Reference Id
9b9d80ee-8cc9-4e84-9539-5b7bd91fd2d4
Date
Thu Jul 12 11:37:00 UTC 2018

Help please!

Solved, I have overwrited the tweaker handler with a standard handler and updated the device.

(Warren Bare) #52

Hi,

I’ve installed the Z-Wave Tweaker and installed the Tweaker device.

When I click into the device page, the “Sync Pending” is stuck on orange, and in the IDE’s Live Logging I get the following message when I press “Sync General”

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method startsWith() on null object @line 1619 (initialise)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

(Scott Ainsworth) #53

I think anyone would need more information to help you. What is the model of the zwave device you are using tweaker on? What information have you entered in to the settings of the device that you are trying to sync?

(Warren Bare) #54

Hi @sainsworth,

Well… I’m going to post the solution. I have seen others with this problem, and have not seen the solution probably because it is a embarasingly stupid mistake.

I created the Tweaker device, but did not associate it with one of my real devices, so obviously the scan did not work. Interestingly, when I created the un-associated Tweaker device, it actually sent messages to ALL my switches, so I thought the scan worked across the whole Z-wave mesh as opposed to just one switch.

Anyway… for other people getting this error… Change the device type of your existing switch to Tweaker.

As a side note, this would probably be easy to catch in code and print a meaningful error as opposed to throwing an exception.

Thanks!

(Jitesh Shah) #55

I have been trying to associate a Qubino Flush 2 relay with a Aeotec Heavy duty smart switch.

PS: Thanks to @JDRoberts @zcapr17 and @erocm1231 for helping me so far.

I am still stuck and kinda clueless.

Scenario: Qubino switch 2 (behind wall) to control Aeotech Heavy duty smart switch (connected to AC)

Following is the raw data of heavy duty switch (Device network ID 08):
zw:Ls type:1001 mfr:0086 prod:0103 model:004E ver:3.26 zwv:3.92 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,98,56 ccOut:5A,82 sec:25,32,31,27,2C,2B,70,85,59,7A,73 role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

In my Qubino, I have set Group 5 to 08. I can also see the following in the properties of Qubino after using tweaker and reverting the DTH back to Qubino

zwtAssocGroupId 5
zwtAssocGroupMembers 08

However it doesnt have the desired impact.

What am I doing wrong? What should I be looking for?

(Jitesh Shah) #56

Help please!

(Mark C) #57

just do a smartlinging app which mirrors the behaviour of the qubino to the aeotech

(Scott Ainsworth) #58

Take a close look at the manual for your your Qubino Flush 2 Relay. I looked at one online. Not sure its the same as yours but it has only three available Groups.

Copied from the manual:
Associated Groups:
Group 1: basic on/off (triggered at change of the
output Q1 state and reflecting its state) up to 16
nodes.
Group 2: basic on/off (triggered at change of the
output Q2 state and reflecting its state) up to 16
nodes.
Group 3: default reporting group (reserved for the
main controller).

Looks like you want to associated your Aeotec switch with group 1 or 2 not group 5. Your smartthings hub should be associated with group 3.

(Jitesh Shah) #59

Hi Scott

The manual on the webpage of Qubino (http://qubino.com/downloads-pdf/) shows up 8 groups.

Group 5 and 6 are for Q2 which is the switch of interest

Rgds

(Scott Ainsworth) #60

Looks like it is multi end point device. I don’t have any so I’m not the expert but, It looks like you want end point 2 group 2 (not sure how that’s different than group 5). Try entering 02:02 for the association group ID. Then use 08 for your destination. Not sure if that will work but its worth a try.

You could try putting the hub(01) in group 5 just to see if the basic on an off commands show up in the logs. That way you can tell if the Qubino is sending commands.

NEWBIE here - just installed z wave tweaker and am perpetually waiting sync and the device I’m trying to access is stuck on “Checking status” from ios app…any sage advice? Thank you!