[BETA] Z-Wave Tweaker (See post #209 for new V3 app version)

Ignore him, Z-Wave tweaker does work on the Fibaro motion sensor, and has for many years, as with changing parameters via any method, you click the button three times.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction, I knew this was a highly configurable device, but didn’t realize it would work with the tweaker. I removed my post above. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you. I’ll give it a try!

1 Like

Hi @Alwas

Just a quick heads up, the stock local DTH for the Fibaro Motion Sensor gives you access to all the advanced parameters, so didn’t even need the tweaker. They made a pretty good DTH.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

You have the Eaton 9601 master and 9617 accessory? I do as well. I just put them in last night and cant get the accessory to work.

I have the Eaton 9601 master switch and the 9617 accessory switch. I cannot get the accessory to work. I have the new Smartthings app so I guess the tweaker doesn’t work with it?

What do I need to do to get the accessory to work?

So I got my stuff to work. @JDRoberts, thank you for all your explanations. I just had to read through a few of your posts to get it figured out.

@And238 I have the same switches as you and this is what I did.

1. excluded them both from my hub and added them back

2. find device ID of 9601 (in my case 2a)

3. change device handler of 9617 to tweaker

4. change group to 2

5. add my device ID of 2a to group members (note, I just added the ID for the 9601 switch and not the 9617 switch)

6. save

7. change handler of 9617 back to “Z-Wave Device”

8. rejoice loudly as my switches now work

One additional note: If the accessory is off and the master is on, I have to press the accessory twice. I am not sure if this can be corrected. I think what is happening is that the master is not updating the accessory with its status. Does anyone know how to change this?

1 Like

I’m glad you got yours to work…I followed the same process, but only worked intermittently (worked that evening, but stopped working the next day). The accessory switch is only about 10’ away from the master switch, with only a wall stud interfering with direct line of site, so I don’t think distance is the issue for me. I will start over again when I have time, maybe just a software glitch?

I suppose it could be. Don’t forget that the master switch will not update the accessory switch. If both are off and you turn the master on, the accessory still thinks it’s off, so you have to press it twice.

I wish there was a way for Smartthings to see them as on switch too.

I just answered in your other thread, but there are definitely ways to keep them in sync if that’s what you want.

If you want to see a network engineer’s head explode :exploding_head: , suggest showing them as one switch. :thinking:

These are two different devices, they each have a radio, they each have a unique device ID, they each have their own routing, and you can see two switches on the wall. They are not one switch to the network. And if you have them synch’d, The statuses will be right, so that part’s taken care of.

I’m all in favor of users being able to use their own system the way they want, so if you really really want to display them as one device, you could create a virtual device and use webcore to keep everything in sync. But under the hood it’s still two devices, and there are going to be times when you want to see what’s going on with each. Just sayin’… :sunglasses:

Lol. I actually am a network engineer! We make multiple switches one all the time. It’s called virtual switching fabric.

I get what you’re saying though.

How do I set the mirror feature?

Here you go:

FAQ: create a virtual three-way using the “mirror“ feature of SmartLighting

Should I undo the tweaker stuff if I use this?

Tweaker is preferable because once you set up the Z wave direct association, it will always work, even if your hub is off-line. That’s helpful for light switches.

The mirror Option in smartlighting is something you can try if for some reason direct association is not working, or if direct association is setting up a loop.

And you can set up direct Association for your primary use case, the accessory switch as the trigger and the master switch as the remote, and then just use the mirror option to keep the two devices in sync in smartthings. In that case you would only have one smart lighting automation, the one where the master is the trigger and the accessory is the target.

So basically you use whatever you need, but you use the tweaker for preference if it works.

(Note that the mirror option also allows you to set up a zigbee switch to mirror a zwave switch, for example, which is a situation where the tweaker wouldn’t work.)

Lol. Well that was unfortunate. I tried setting up the association the other way too and that didn’t work. So I excluded both switches and added them back. I tried to do the association the exact same as I did before and it didn’t work. I set up the mirror for now. I will try again in the morning.

1 Like

Hi,
I recently retired and decided I was going to modernize my Condo by adding some smart switches for the Lighting and possibly move on from there. I decided to use a SmartThings Hub and ended up selecting Eaton Switches. It stated out pretty well, I installed 3 of the Eaton RF9640 Z-Wave Plus Wireless Universal Dimmer switches and everything went well. Then I moved on to a three way switch and started installing the RF9601 Z-Wave Plus Wireless Switch along with the RF9617 Z-Wave Plus Accessory Switch. After about 3 days of playing around with wiring and the Hub for these two switches I finally discovered through some research that I need to associate the RF9617 Switch with the RF9601 Switch and the Samsung Hub would not associate the two switches. Further research lead me to this community. I have no experience writing code but would like to use Z-Wave Tweaker. Next, I hate to admit, but don’t know how to set up / install the Z-Wave Tweaker. I have read through the instructions and don’t understand how I get the Z-Wave Tweaker installed.

Start with the following FAQ and see if it helps. It will explain the basic concepts and Terminology.

The Tweaker is a custom DTH which you are going to install and then temporarIly use for your accessory switch, just long enough to get the settings right and saved in the switch itself. Then you will go back to using the regular DTH for the accessory switch. But start by reading the FAQ, it will explain, among other things, what a DTH is. :sunglasses:

Thank You for responding. Again, i am novice and will ask dumb questions. I have been reading and my first question is do I copy all 2713 lines of code and paste into the Device Handler?

I think I have gotten to the point where I need to set the Scan Ranges, Association Groups etc for the RF9617 Accessory. Are these settings available somewhere? I am not sure what the settings should be?

See the following thread, it discusses the same combination of devices that you have:

Z-Wave RF associations