[BETA] Z-Wave Tweaker (See post #209 for new V3 app version)

Are you sure you copied it in as a Device Handler, not a Smartapp?

4 Likes

Well, that was quite obvious, wasn’t it? Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

I love zwave tweaker! Thanks!

Does it still work in the new app?

I’m also wondering if it works with the new app. I just replaced some Remote Switches and used to use this to program them. It looks like it somewhat works, I can see the menu with all the options, but I don’t see the Sync buttons anymore. It seems I’m not able to write the changes I make to the tweaker device.

Take this back… seems to still work fine. Glad this is still around.

Need help with Eaton Cooper RF9640-N Master Dimmer and RF9642-Z Accessory Dimmer Switch Association

There is a related thread to this topic over here:
(Eaton Cooper RF9640-N Master Dimmer and RF9642-Z Accessory Dimmer Switch Association)

I followed above thread and just made the accessory dimmer switch as a Z Wave Tweaker. Then in the app I set an Association Group of “1”. I then added members of the association group as “6,7”. These are the device network ids assigned in IDE for the master dimmer and the accessory dimmer respectively. I saw that it wants hex in the list for those but shouldnt need any hex conversion for “6” and “7” right? What do I do next? Do i then go edit the device off of tweaker and back to a dimmer switch in IDE device settings? Am i missing something here? Thanks!

Update: Mostly solved. Used group id of 2 and auto-detect. Set device off tweaker and back to Secure Dimmer. This did the trick but the dimming levels do not appear to perfectly sync when using the switches. At least I can control on/off from both switches. Anyone else see similar results? Pro-tips on how to get the dimming to sync perfectly?

I am in the same boat. There doesn’t appear to be a way to setup 2 different association groups on the switch. So we are stuck with either on/off or dimming unless someone has a suggestion.

RF9640 is a Z wave plus device. Association changed somewhat with zwave plus, and now group one is reserved as the “lifeline“ group. You should not be using it for any associations except to the hub.

Also, if you check the documentation on that device you will see that it supports three association groups.

Group one is the lifeline group, again, only to be used for the hub.

Group 2 is only used for on/off.

And group 3 is where you do the association if you want dimming. So you just need to set up the correct association and it should work. This device will send the same message to up to five different devices if that’s what you were asking.

For newer devices, you should always be able to look up the association rules in the official conformance statement on the Z wave alliance products site.

So try again, but for this specific model, use association group 3.

And always remember the first rule of home automation: “the model number matters.“ :wink:

By the way, if anybody wants to know the technical reason for this, it has to do with something we’ve discussed before, the concept of “basic“ commands in Z wave. That has a very special meaning for this protocol. When a trigger device sends a “basic“ command to its associated targets, each receiving device will do whatever its basic function is. An on/off switch will switch on. A siren will make a sound. That allows the trigger device to just send out one command to everybody even if they are different device classes.

OK, that’s the regular basic command. There is also a “basic multilevel“ command. That’s a basic command plus a modifier that goes from zero to FF. So that’s used if you were sending it to a Dimmer, or something with a volume control, or a valve turner. It’s saying do your basic command, but do it to this level.

So…

For this specific Eaton Cooper device, Target Devices in Association group 2 will just receive a simple “basic“ command. On or off for most devices. Target Devices in Association group 3 will receive both the basic command and a level value. That’s how they know to dim to 50% or dim to 75%.

If you put your targets in association group 2 for this specific device, you weren’t sending them a level value so that’s why they weren’t Dimming.

I hope that’s clear. :sunglasses:

In the future, before setting any associations, you have to check the documentation for that specific device to find out which association groups it uses and for which commands. With the exception of reserving group one for lifeline communications, it’s totally up to the manufacture how they use the groups and how many groups they have. So there may be some manufacturers who use group 2 for dimming and group 3 for on/off. Or use group 2 for a tamper alert. You won’t know until you look at the documentation for that specific device.

@blink

1 Like

I really appreciate the thorough reply but I must not be understanding the setup. I removed the accessory dimmer to start over and then added it back to my hub. I then changed the device type to the tweaker app and set the group ID to 3 and the group member to 1C (my master switch). Saved the changes, put the device type back to dimmer and still no luck. It doesn’t turn the lights on/off or dim now.

Do the preferences in the screenshot look correct?

I was able to get this to work with my RF9640/RF9642 set.

Step 1: associate both devices with the hub.
Step 2: set the accessory dimmer as a tweaker device
Step 3: set the following settings:
Association Group ID: 3
Command Class: (Single-channel) Association (0x85)
Group members: [the number displayed in the IDE for device ID]
(For some reason my device IDs appear to be decimal, as I only have 1-9, 10, 11, 12, 13 etc, no 0A or whatever… but I still enter that ID as shown.)
Step 4: change Association Group ID: 2
Step 5: change the accessory dimmer to a zwave dimmer generic switch

This should be enough that both dimming and on/off work.

Step 6: repeat the above, but for the master switch

This should get the accessory dimmer to update status to match the master (dim position and on/off status)

It’s possible that setting the association group to 3 first and then changing it to 2 is unnecessary, but this worked for me.

It appears that when the accessory turns on the light, the master switch doesn’t update status on the hub, not sure yet what to do about that.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I will give this a shot this evening. Much appreciated

1 Like

Were you able to figure this out? I have the same RF9617 accessory switch I am trying to associate with the master but not working.

Nope, I’ve tried everything. My only success was using the work-arouns by using smart lighting.

Oddly enough, I seemed to have gotten it to work last night, but only from local operation of the accessory switch, which is fine. But this morning, it is no longer working. Disappointing.

I’m looking to get a Fibaro Motion Sensor because it runs local with the stock Fibaro Motion Sensor DTH.

But there’s an advanced lux setting that I want to change from the default report at 200lux change to 50lux change.
(And maybe a few other advanced parameters to accessible with the stock DTH.

Will the z-wave tweaker allow me to change that parameter and then change back to the stock Fibaro Motion Sensor DTH to retain local processing?

(Using the new SmartThings app of course)

Thanks,

Tweaker may not be necessary.

In the past I’ve changed parameters on switches and dimmers via the IDE. Edit the device, change to custom DTH that supports the parameters, edit and save the parameters, change back to the stock DTH.

Don’t know if that’s possible with your sensor.

It will only work if the DTH you switch to does not default the setting when it is initialized… Youll have to read the code to figure it out

1 Like

I can create a custom DTH using the Fibaro Motion Sensor if I do create from example.
And the advance parameters at the end of the code are what I need to change.
They look like this:

cmds << zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(configurationValue: [0,200], parameterNumber: 40, size: 2).format()

That specific parameter is the lux threshold and it’s default is 200 which I want to change to 50.

But I have no idea if when I change it back it will default back to the 200 when I load back in the default DTH (I don’t code, so not sure where to look in the code for that).
So if it does default back to 200, I was hoping the Z Wave Tweaker would work.

Seems like this was asked and answered by @krlaframboise on a different thread…

1 Like

Aw, okay. Thanks for letting me know it doesn’t work on battery powered devices.

Have a great day!