[OBSOLETE] Z-Wave Tweaker

This varies tremendously from manufacturer to manufacturer. You need to look up how they have set the association groups for that specific model. For example, some will do on/off in group 2 but do multi level switches (dimmers) in a different group. Some use group 2 for tamper alerts. some Z wave devices use up to 14 different association groups for different purposes. So it’s tedious, but you do need to check the specs for each model.

If you can’t find them anywhere else, they are required to be filed with the conformance statement when the device is Z wave certified, so the information should be available on the official Z wave products site.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/

For example:

Who was that question for? I understand that I don’t need to set up anything for a wired ‘accessory’ switch using a traveller. That’s exactly why I was planning to swap the Eaton dimmer switches out for Leviton switches (Leviton can use my traveller wire).

But since I haven’t yet removed the Leviton switches, I may try your suggestion. I did configure the controlling device, but not using “group 2”. I’ll take one more crack at it.

Meanwhile, it looks like @Corydon_Kintz could still use some help.

Beginning with Z wave plus devices, association group one is now reserved as the “lifeline“ group and in most cases should only have the hub in it. No other device. It’s used for important status updates, but not anything else.

It is allowed to also add the hub to other association groups, and this is often done so that The hub is notified as devices are turned on and off so it can keep the app status up-to-date. Again, though, check the specs to make sure you know what each association group is supposed to do for that particular model.

@nathancu is absolutely right that a common mistake is to open the Tweaker and just start adding things to association group one, and that’s hardly ever what you want to do. :thinking:

And, yes, all this requires knowing a whole lot more about the “plumbing“ then you should need to know to just get water out of the kitchen faucet.

Most Zwave hubs make setting up associations really simple. You open up the trigger device page, you pick the other devices you want it to control, and you’re done.

But from the beginning, smartthings has had this multi protocol design philosophy where they try to hide all the plumbing which is why the community has had to come up with tools for power users like the Tweaker. Which is a fantastic tool and has been very valuable over the years, but not really designed for non-power users.

As has often been said of smartthings, it’s very powerful, but not very intuitive.

2 Likes

It’s looking more and more like Home Assistant, to me. :wink: If I’m going to spend my days learning an automation platform, that (or Hubitat) would be it.

Jack

2 Likes

I am new to this. Just purchased all zwave switch (eaton) for my new house. However the 3 way switches will not work.

Short of manually updating the code has anyone found a way to make this work?

Justin, I had the same problem. I was using the Eaton wiring diagrams that are included with the switches. Somehow a Cooper wiring diagram was included in one of my switches. I used it and it worked.

Not sure but somehow Cooper and Eaton are connected. Maybe one bought the other out, not really sure

Joe

Cooper is owned by Eaton.

2 Likes

Eaton is the company, Cooper is the division, Aspire is the model line.

A device may be sold under any of these names or any combination of them. So “Eaton Cooper,” “Eaton Aspire,” “Cooper Aspire,” etc. :sunglasses:

Cooper Industries was originally founded in the 1830s. It was acquired by Eaton in 2012.

Hi. I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but let me know if it isn’t.
I’ve previously used Z-wave Tweaker to set the parameters on a device (an Aeotec Smart Switch). However, the device recently stopped working and I had to do a factory reset and repair it with my hub and it now works fine again. However, I note (in the SmartThings IDE) that it is a cloud device rather than a hub device (I read recently that this change was going to happen). When I now try to change any of the parameters using z-wave tweaker, I get an error message in the log (Live Logging)

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'hardwareID' on null object @line 134 (initialize)

I also note that Device Network Id and Hub are empty on the device edit page. I can try and guess the Device Network Id but I cannot put anything in Hub as it gives me a permissions error when I try to save.

Is it possible to still use Z-Wave tweaker since the move to cloud based device drivers? Is there some other tool I could be using?

Also also see there is a new SmartThings dashboard here: https://my.smartthings.com/ but that doesn’t have any functionality to modify the parameters.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

What’s the exact model of the device?

I can’t help with the tweaker questions, so hopefully someone else will chime in, but a couple of other points on the new architecture that might help clear up some of the confusion…

1. if you see odd entries or blank entries it probably means the device is using the new architecture. If so, it will be listed as “placeholder” in the IDE whether it is running local or not. See the following:

FAQ: Why does the IDE list “placeholder” for my device? Can I change that?

1. the IDE will be going away altogether once the transition to the new architecture is complete, but for now there is a way to still get to it. However, as noted in point 1) information may be missing or incomplete for some devices.

FAQ: How do I access Smartapps, Devices, etc. from web (the old IDE information)

1. if the device is using an Edge Driver, you may be able to get to some parameters that way, but that’s why we need the model number.

2. there is a way to get the network IDs in the new architecture using the “CLI,” the Command Line Interface, but that’s a developer tool you have to download to a PC, not just a webpage like the IDE. So the process is a little complicated. I’ll leave the details to someone else since I don’t use that myself.

Hi @constantgraph

It seems that your device has been automatically paired with the edge driver Z-Wave Switch smartthings production.

You will no longer be able to use the Groovy-based configurator.

If you have made the DTH change in IDE the device may no longer work and you have to exclude it and re-pair it.

When paired, in the device menu, at the top right there will be a new menu option, driver.

In settings you will have the parameters that aeotec and smartthings have put for the driver.
Only those parameters will be available.
All depends of the switch model, as @JDRoberts says

I think that for August I will set myself the task of making a Z-Wave parameter configurator, it seems to me that it will be necessary and it does not seem to me that it will be difficult to do.

I hope they don’t steal my idea, hahaha… :rofl:

UPDATE:
Driver published

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses.

@JDRoberts The specific device I have is the Aeotec Smart Switch 6. There is not a lot going on in the driver settings:

Clicking Select different driver says “No results found”.

If I were to remove the device and re-pair it, could I somehow force it to be a local device (as opposed to a cloud device) again?

@Mariano_Colmenarejo if you could create some kind of parameter configurator that works with z-wave cloud devices that would be great :+1:

Your device paired with the Zwave Switch driver works locally.

This cloud information that appears in IDE for devices with edge driver are no longer valid.

Click on app device settings to see the parameters configuration that your device has available.

2 Likes

As @Mariano_Colmenarejo said, all edge drivers run locally. The information in the IDE is not valid for edge drivers: they are on the new architecture and it is on the old architecture.

This is covered in the community FAQ:

FAQ: Why does the IDE list “placeholder” for my device? Can I change that?

1 Like

I need more help. So I have spent alot of time and I am successful at connecting one of the switches to the master, but I am not able to connect multiples. See both screen shots.

I have committed a great amount of money to these switches but have recevied no answers from support or from the maker Eaton.

Hello - I’ve read through this entire thread twice, but still need help. I am a technology enthusiast by night (after my wife and kids go to sleep) and accountant by day, so I do not have any formal coding/developer training, but I am a quick learner, and I don’t give up easily.

I am trying to create an association between my RF9642 Eaton dimmer master switch and my RF9640 Eaton dimmer accessory switch.

Can someone please send me a path to the latest Z- Wave Tweaker handler that is compatible with the v3 Aeotec Smart Home Hub and provide me with step-by-step instructions for installing the tweaker?

I have the group numbers for both Eaton devices via the links below, but I am new to home automation and need some more specific instructions on creating the association between these two devices once I have the tweaker installed.

http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=RF9642-Z&cert=ZC10-18126326
http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=RF9640-N&cert=ZC10-18126327

I’ve seen quite a few others ask similar questions related to these two Eaton devices, but I am hoping that someone could provide some start to finish instructions on setting them up under the latest SmartThings architecture.

Thanks!

All groovy DTHs are being discontinued as part of the transition to the new Architecture. Instead, they are being replaced by “edge drivers” which will run on your own hub.

That’s why this thread, and many others, have the [OBSOLETE] tag in the title. Mostly you want to just skip those, it will only be confusing. They are still of some value to developers when researching individual devices, which is why they are still in the forum.

Anyway, to clear up the confusion, first read the community faq about the transition:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

Then the edge driver you will need is this one. But first read the FAQ, otherwise it will still be confusing.

(EDGE Driver-Mc): Z-Wave Device Config Mc

As far as this:

am trying to create an association between my RF9642 Eaton dimmer master switch and my RF9640 Eaton dimmer accessory switch.

The RF9642 accessory switch will be the trigger. The RF9640 master switch will be the target. The master actually turns the light on and off, the accessory just tells the master to do that.

So you are going to add the RF9640 to an association group on the RF 9642 Which means you will use the configurations driver with the RF 9642, you don’t actually need to do anything with the RF9640 in order for this to work.

As far as a step-by-step if you still need one after reading those two threads, please start a new topic and ask your question, and then somebody should be able to help you there. Unfortunately, I’m too tired today. It’s a good question, I just don’t have the energy for it right now.

Here’s where you will put your new topic:

Connected Things - SmartThings Community

edited to fix the model numbers

Thank You!! I will read through these threads now.

1 Like

Also note that I am quadriparetic and use a voice reader to post. It can take me several passes to get everything added and edited, especially if I’m adding links. So when you first see a message go up from me, you might want to wait a few minutes to make sure I’m done editing it.

Also, it appears that you reversed the model numbers in your post. The 9640 should be the master and the 9642 should be the accessory.

In that case, the 9642 is the trigger and the 9640 is the target. I am going to change my post above.

First rule of home automation: “the model number matters.“ :wink:

2 Likes