[OBSOLETE] Z-Wave Tweaker

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but given the “state of consciousness” flow of many of the threads it is often hard to know! here is what i am trying to achieve. i want o use z-wave tweaker to set a parameter on my Aeotec nano dimmer such that switch 2 (S2) does nothing other than send some message to my smarthings hub that can then be actioned to turn on or off 3 permanently powered Zigbee bulbs. As they are Zigbee bulbs i want to keep the power to them, i want to use a physical switch not smart phone because… well most folks just find a switch easier. I am using the nano dimmer because i want a toggle light switch and not a paddle and finally i cant use a “standard” Z-wave switch because most of the wiring in the old part of my house does not have neutral. So my question i guess is what parameter would be a “good” one to send to the hub how do i use tweaker to set that and is if that wasn’t enough how would i then use a smart lighting automation or webcore piston to turn of the afore mentioned zigbee bulbs. Thanks

1 Like

I do not believe the nano device you have will not do that. ST will only know the state of the output. The switch inputs are simply a way of telling the nano relay to change the state of the output. I don’t think there is a way to get it to report the state of the switch inputs.

If you want your zigbee lights to mirror the function of the nano output you are in business. Just use SmartLighting or webcore. Otherwise I’m afraid you will need another device to report back to ST the state of the switches.

Good question, wrong thread. :sunglasses:

Start a new thread and call it something like “How to use Aeotec Dimmer to send commands to control zigbee bulbs?” And I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions. It’s actually a fairly typical project. It just doesn’t belong in this thread because there’s more to it than just knowing what parameter to use. And the responses would really drag this thread offtrack.

Put your topic in the “projects” section of the forums, because you’re going to get suggestions and questions about possible alternative devices and all kinds of different things. But you will definitely get lots of answers and I think you’ll end up with a solution that you like.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories

1 Like

KK
thanks for the pointer!

1 Like

Did you manage get get any further with getting feedback from input/switch 2?

Good question, wrong thread. :sunglasses:

Please delete your post here, and then join the conversation in the following thread:

“How to use Aeotec Dimmer to send commands to control Zigbee bulbs?

Hello… I have tried for all options but unable to get the associations function to work, and would really appreciate any help

I have Cooper/Eaton RF9540 Master dimmer (Network ID = 10) and RF9542 accessory dimmer (network ID = 11) on the Smartthings Hub.
But I just can’t get the Z-wave tweaker to have the associations of the two.

From Eaton documentation
The Association Groups are
Group 1 - 5 nodes max
Group 2-254 0 nodes max
Group 255 1 node max

the accessory dimmer (Device ID = 11)
But when I put “1” in the association group ID and Associated Group Member = 10, the Z-wave tweaker always shows sync pending and the two just not associated and sync.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Eddy

I’m having the same issue as Eddy_Huang, except I’m using Master Switch: RF9501 and Receptacle: RFTR9505-T

My goal is to have the z-wave receptacle turn on when the master switch (light) turns on. In the past, the Minimote worked splendidly, but I had to swap out a defective receptacle and now the Minimote is acting up.

I figured Tweaker would be a next gen solution to creating direct association, but it doesn’t appear to be working.

I pointed the switch to the Tweaker DH, entered the menu and entered Association Group 2 with node destination 1D (the receptacle’s Network ID). In doing so, the app hangs on “Sync Pending” and the log says: sync(): Unknown association group. Requesting more info.

It doesn’t seem to like Association Group 2, or 0, 1, 3, 4, etc. and I cannot make the 2 communicate.

Am I to assume that Eaton Aspire products are not supported or compatible?

Wow, it’s been a while! My former house worked perfectly! I had two or three WT00Z-1’s associated to trigger WS15Z-1’s (separately, of course!). After a post and question here or two - I got it ok.

But - I moved! :slight_smile: I unplugged my SmartThings, removed all the switches from the wall, and (a month later) have been installing them in my new home and hoping for the best. HA! No. So, I did a factory reset of my Hub, and have been excluding and including my switches. What fun! And did I label the associated switches? No, of course not, so it’s like I’m starting over, because once you exclude a switch, it is reset.

The “Go Control” WT00Z-1, in its manual, says it supports configuration/associations. The “Linear” WT00Z-1, in its manual, also says it supports configuration/associations.
The “Go Control” WS15Z-1, in its manual, says it supports configuration/associations.
The “Linear” WS15Z-1, in its manual, says it supports configuration/associations.

From past experience, and reading the manuals - (I’ve DONE this!!!), the association group I need is “1”.

When I use Tweaker on the WT00Z-1.s, I’m getting an error message in logging of:

sync(): Unknown association group. Requesting more info.

And “sync” stays orange.

I could REALLY use some help. Or, if anyone has a minimote… :slight_smile: (can’t buy one anywhere, not even used!)

Nobody? Really? Sigh. Well then I’ll just use this space for updates. I found a minimote, used, that I bought. It’ll be here Monday. Hopefully it’ll solve my problems.

Be cautious using your minimote. I think when you add it to you network the ST device handler puts it into a mode where you cannot use it to program associations. I started digging in to why I could not get mine work with association after it was reset. I determined that it was a setting in the DH when it joined. Summer came and I’ve not got back to sorting out a solution.

I’m baffled as to why tweaker is not working for you.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll try not adding it first, maybe?

Every one of my WT00Z’s… no good. I went back to my post when I successfully did it the first time and repeated the steps exactly. Nope. Unknown association. I’d LOVE it for it to be something stupid I’m doing… I have no idea.

The minimote must be on the same Zwave network as your hub and the two switches or you won’t be able to create the association.

The reason they’re hard to find now is that they will only work with older devices, not Z wave plus devices. That’s because the whole nature of association changed with zwave plus and Minimote is not able to set associations except for group one. So the minimote device has been discontinued.

FAQ: How zwave direct association changed with zwave plus

But as long as you have the older switches and the older hub, the minimote should work. Here is the old FAQ on how that works:

FAQ: Solution for Linear/GoControl 3-way switches? (WD500Z-1 and WT00Z-1) (Association options)

However, that is all off-topic for this particular thread, which is about the Z wave Tweaker. Please start a new thread to discuss any issues with the minimote. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the (off topic) info! Sorry to sidetrack things. I’d RATHER use Z wave Tweaker!!! LOL Any suggestions you have to help me are more than welcome! I’m frustrated because of how well it worked at my last home, and now - trouble!

1 Like

Perhaps you have a range issue. You might try removing the devices from the wall. Wire them to an extension cord end (tape it up good so you don’t fry yourself) then plug them both in near to the hub. See if you can get tweaker to set up the association then. You would likely have to run network repair after moving them back to the wall but at least you might get it working.

Huh, I can do that. If I move the hub between them - it’s maybe 5’ or 6’ from each device to the hub. Is that close enough?

Worth a try.

Found this on another thread. Seems there is an issue with the ST and associations.

ST staff chime in further down the string and promise a fix.

1 Like

Just a note - with the most recent Firmware update - this is fixed. I was able to do associations for three different switches, and they all work just fine.

1 Like

I have problems using the tweaker with Fibaro Double Relay FGS221. Get the message “: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method startsWith() on null object @line 1618 (initialise)”.

Have tried two different FGS221 and also tried uninstall and reinstall the device handler.

It works well with other Fibaro devices as dimmer.