[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

I will check this out. Thanks

I have been away the last 10 days, so the ZigBee mesh issues I was having (manifested by the fans dropping out very often) have not been stressed much, but the fans have been solid, FWIW. I’ll be experimenting by re-adding the conflicting ZigBee candidates (relocate hub back closer to WiFi, adding outside gardenspots, re-add GE Links) one-by-one to return to normalcy. I have a webCoRE piston that runs every 15 minutes to look for life and report any failure.

But first, a question about created devices: AFAIK, I only created one set of devices for each fan controller, but I have a bunch of redundant light devices (3 Porch Fan East lights, 5 Porch Fan West lights). Can I remove the extras and what’s the best way, e.g. in the IDE?

1 Like

Sure you can use the IDE or the mobile app to delete the duplicates. Let me have @stephack take a look. Normally when you delete a parent I thought the all the childs deleted as well.

I don’t know how this would have happened as ST should automatically remove any associated children when removing the parent fan. Have you removed and readded this controller multiple times and if so, how did you remove them?

It is always best to remove devices from the app. They should only be removed in IDE if you have difficulty removing from the app.

I don’t believe I went through any additional cycles of adding/deleting, but it was a while ago, so, maybe. In any event, I was able to delete them from the ST shop without any problem. Since I don’t have lights connected to the controller, I’ll eventually delete the remaining light type; but for now, I’m using it to test ZigBee command receipt (instead of messing with the fan motor, I turn the fantom light on/off and test if received).

I got this installed on a new fan. Works great besides a couple issues I’m having.

1. The lights won’t dim.
    2.Alexa won’t control the light because “a few things share that name”. I’ll look at all my devices and see what’s going on.
    3.Alexa won’t change the fan speed.

Any ideas?

How do you have Alexa setup to see the fan? Are you using the specific devices that @stephack creates in the DTH? Maybe create Alexa synonyms that are more readily pronounceable? If you are trying to set the level dynamically, I don’t think that would work because the DTH doesn’t respond to normal level commands (I use webCoRE pistons with a custom command of setFanSpeed) that Alexa would understand.

I have the custom dth and app installed with ST. I have Ask Alexa and EchoSistant installed also. But I’m new to all if this, so I’m not sure how all of that works together.
Alexa responds to “alexa, turn on/off living room fan”. But that’s about it with that device.

Assuming you have called the main device “Living Room Fan”
the handler should have automatically created the following:

Living Room Fan Light
Living Room Fan Low
Living Room Fan Medium
Living Room Fan Medium High
Living Room Fan High
Living Room Fan Comfort Breeze

These will not show in your thing list, but will appear as options in your smartapps.
You will need to open the Amazon Echo smartapp and select each option above you would like to use with Alexa. Lastly you need to “discover devices” in the alexa app.

You should also be able to say “alexa, set living room fan light to 50” and it will dim to 50%.

I will try that when i get home.

About the dimming though. Even in the ST app, the lights won’t dim.

I actually haven’t tried this part of it.

But I’ve been trying to use thw dimming part if this one.

They both do the same thing so it shouldnt matter. Please look at the logs for the “living room fan”. When you try to change the brightness you should get 2 reports. One that says “adjusting brightness” and one that confirms the controller made the change saying “status report received
light level is x”. If you get both then you probably have a wiring issue with the controller or your bulbs dont properly support dimming.

Are you talking about the ST live logs?

Yessir
10 chars

according to the logs, it’s working. so I will replace the bulbs to fix that.
Tried discovering new devices on Alexa, that didn’t help. Also, when I say “Alexa, living room fan low” (or any level) she says “living room fan doesn’t support that”.

Did you add them to the echo smartapp. The echo will not see any ST device unless you expose them using the smartapp.

1 Like

evidently I don’t now how to add new devices. :confused:
also, I don’t see a list of switches under my Amazon Alexa smart app.

it might be easier for me to just uninstall the ask alexa and echosist app and reinstall them.

Ask alexa and echosist are not needed to control the fan with the echo. The built in Amazon Echo smartapp is more than enough.To install go to My Home, Add a Thing, Add Device Manually, Voice Control and choose The Echo. This will guide you through setting up the smartapp and charing your ST devices with the echo.