[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

The Wink one is also RF it even comes with a remote and talks to the smart hub via Zigbee which courses a hole host of communication issues to the hub. The Inovelli devices is basically the same thing just Z Wave which is much better to use.

I have two (three counting the one I had to return) of the Wink version and needed a Zigbee repeater for one and it was working for a few months then stopped, so I removed the repeater and the Wink device. I am pretty confident this new one will work much better.

I am not to sure the issues was even the Zigbee protocol itself because I do have some lights that are further from the hub then the fans are and they work fine. I think it is just the device itself. The reason I had to return one was because the only way I could get it to work was directly over the hub and a repeater did not help it what so ever.

Yes, the Wink devices also incorporates an RF receiver. The Inovelli device is purely RF. It is not Z-Wave. Z-Wave commands are processed by the in-wall controller, and passed along via RF to the canopy module.

The Wink module IS a smart device. The Inovelli module IS NOT. The paired controller IS a Z-Wave device. The module CANNOT be used without the paired Z-Wave controller.

1 Like

The device may not be for everyone I guess but it will sure work for what I need it for. To make my Fan/Light work with SmartThings and also allow for easy local switch access, as there is no device out there that does.

Was only clarifying that the fan module itself is not a z-wave device. There seemed to have been some confusion on that part. It’s still unknown if the RF module has any sort of status reporting back to the in-wall controller. If not, it’s no better than using Bond.

1 Like

Just received an update that the Inovelli fan canopy module is a transceiver and WILL report status back to the in-wall controller. True 2-way communication.

The wifi remotes from home depot linked above use smart by bond (so they use the bond app) but the canopy module has a wifi antenna for two way communication. It’s completely different from the bond BD-1000 base station, it doesn’t use RF at all except for the wall remote.

And even if you change a setting with the wall remote, the api is near instantaneous and the state change is reflected in both the bond app and smartthings.

So you have a WiFi canopy module. Most people here would like to avoid that though.

Well, there isn’t a zwave module sold separately with a native smartthings integration yet, so it’s the next best thing. Certainly better than this DTH and defunct wink module

So I’m having an issue with the beta code at the top of this message.
I installed all 3 device handlers (1 parent, 2 child) and then paired my fan and set it to the KOF handler (the parent).
I can now turn the fan itself on/off but see no controls for the fan speed nor the light itself.
tried removing the fan and repairing it using the fan reset procedure after removal (power on 3 seconds, power off 5 seconds, 5 times). I get successful pairing with the 3-light-flash upon pairing and can set the device handler to the KOF parent handler but see nothing else.

Sorry about the question. I’m a long time Wink user that just migrated to S/T, so a definite n00b here.

Are you using the classic app or the new app? What you’re describing sounds like what should be expected using the new app, full functionality requires using the classic app.

MJ, it’s the new app, not the classic app. I’m a new convert to ST from Wink, so I just d/l and installed the app from IOS app store and and trying desperately to educate myself on ST.
Can the classic app still be d/l and used?

Yes, and you can use both apps concurrently.

Done. Installed classic app but while I can “see” the fan, the only control available is an on/off button. Toggling the button does not change status of the fan and I still don’t see the interface or buttons for fan speed/light brightness.

Did you install all three device handlers per the instructions (controller, fan speed child, and light child device)? If everything was installed according to instructions you should see multiple devices in the classic app.

Yes, finally figured it out. Installed classic app and for some reason, the dth changed to the fan speed child handler. As soon as I flipped it back to the KOF parent handler, I see the light and fan now.

2 Likes

If that’s true, I may replace my living room Hampton Bay unit with this one, because I really don’t like the HB in-wall controller buttons. I just want two big LIGHT and FAN buttons.

[Ooh…LED notifications, too! https://community.inovelli.com/t/fan-light-switch-project-hurricane-pre-orders-now-open/23 ]

I finally figured out how to fix this. Turns out only the child devices were duplicated in the IDE (and were therefore only accessible by examining the parent device). Using live logging, I went through and turned on/off each child device to see which GUID the parent was actually using and then deleted the other one.

Yay, mystery solved.

Up until a week or so ago, this had been working perfectly for me. One day I noticed it wasn’t responding, so I flipped the circuit off/on and it was good to go again.

Now the fan/light usually won’t respond to any commands from ST. Occasionally it will work fine, but the light is almost always either stuck on or off, and the fan does nothing.

I tried removing it from ST (classic) and went through the reset process. It paired up right away and worked for a few minutes, then went back to being unresponsive.

Any thoughts?

Same thing here. Had been working great for over a year, then stopped working completely about a week ago. No changes to my zigbee mesh or ST setup near that time. Removed and re-paired it, worked again for a few hours, and then back to no response. Commands show as being successful in the IDE but don’t actually do anything.

Same problem with me. ST Classic no longer has any effect on the fan or the light, and the status of both the fan and the light are not being reported back to ST at all. I checked the DH and the Parent and both child devices are still published, but it’s just not working at all.

Running version 0.2.170515 which i believe is the lastest DH