[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

For some reason, ST stopped being able to control both my KOF fan controllers. Both still work via the remote. Has something changed on the ST platform?

edit: I see there are tons of Zigbee issues with the latest ST firmware update. Nice.

I have this happen occasionally. Power cycling the fan controller usually fixes it. You have to remove power from the fan controller either via the wall switch or the circuit breaker, not the fan remote.

Since it happened to both fans at once, and all the reported Zigbee issues, and the fact that Iā€™m really lazy - Iā€™ll wait for the firmware upgrade and go from there. Thanks for the tip tho!

No commits have been made to the new app version for two months, so I switched to a bond.
A shame this has been abandoned.

Finally got time to install mine, just to find it no longer seems to work right as reported.
Is this DTH dead?

The pattern I am seeing is the device will work for about 10 minutes after a power-cycle, and then stop talking top ST.
For example, ST shows on, when itā€™s off.

Do you have a Zigbee repeater in the same room as the Hampton Bay Fan Controller? Itā€™s not really an option with this device.

1 Like

@ogiewon What distance counts as this room, and how do I know if a device is a repeater?
I have some Quirky wall outlets and an Ecobee sensor in that room.
A few GE In-Wall Smart Dimmers and another Ecobee sensor in the next room.

Battery powered devices will not act as a repeater. Your GE in wall switches are most likely z-wave, so those will not help (although there is a slim chance that they are Zigbee).

I use a Peanut Plug, available for $15 on Amazon. Makes all the difference in the world.

I use the peanut plug also. Works well. The only time I may have an issue is if there is a power outage. I will sometimes have to power cycle the circuit breaker after everything is up and running.

So you feel this is caused because itā€™s not picking up the signal from the hub?

You almost always need the repeater as these things have awful radios in them but, just a thought as itā€™s occurred before, you did route the ā€œwhite antennaā€ so that it exists the fan shroud? If not, your signal is going to be seriously attenuated.

I did indeed, and knowing itā€™s a signal issue, I am now going to move my hub so itā€™s much closer.
Thank you for all the help!

I just want to chime in here so folks donā€™t think the sky is falling. Sounds like performance may have changed for some people, but my setup with this DTH continues to work.

I have not seen evidence that this has been abandoned. Until we identify the problem, itā€™s unlikely weā€™ll be able to develop a solution. And from what Iā€™m reading, it sounds like the problem may be SmartThings Zigbee performance in general, which would probably need to be improved/fixed in general, not specifically for the Hampton Bay fan controller weā€™re focused on here.

1 Like

I have two of these. My living room fan is about 8 feet from the fan. I do not have a repeater for that one. My bedroom is about 30 feet and I do have a peanut plug there.

A couple of other things to keep in mind. When you move the hub, unplug it and remove any batteries for about 20 minutes. Then plug it back in and let it rebuild your zigbee mesh. Also, some smart bulbs make lousy repeaters so if there are any of these bulbs are being used as repeaters for the fan, it could cause dropouts.

In my case, ST is now reporting the correct state of these fans, but cannot control them. Really weird.

edit: This error is now popping up in live logging when anything happens with my fan.
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method sendEvent() on null object @line 156 (parse)

I have seen this too. Power cycling the circuit breaker has fixed it for me.

I never looked in live logging for fan errors so I canā€™t comment on that.

Power cycling is how I got it to work at all. Now it just canā€™t control it.

edit: Just tried to remove it and readd it ST. That didnā€™t help either.

That things can be funny finicky. Has it ever worked? Do you a repeater? Itā€™s not unheard of to get a bad controller. Iā€™d probably try to reset and re-pair it again. Whenever if seen this power cycling the breaker works. I occasionally had to power cycle it a couple of times.

Iā€™m referring to the version intended to bring compatibility to the new smartthings app. It works fine in the old app, but this dth really needs to be updated to fix compatibility with the new app.
I do not have any issues with zigbee reception either.

Ah, gotcha, @mvevitsis. I quit trying to use the new app back in February with version 1.6.27 when the Samsung-described ā€œfresh new look and a streamlined viewā€ seemed to me like a big jump backward in usability.