[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

I think I read that the hardware itself is what is limiting dimming to 20%.

1 Like

I see this can be used to add control to fans that didnā€™t originally have any, but what about fans that already have an RF receiver? I have a Home Decorator Collection (Home Depot) fan that has an RF remote to control the fan speed and light. If I purchased this controller, would I have to remove the exiting receiver and then wire the new one in its place? Or would it not work in this instance? Thanks.

It depends.

Is the receiver for your current fan a similar shape/size to the hampton bay zigbee-enabled receiver, and is there a spot in the canopy to put the receiver? I have a fan that came with a receiver that I was able to replace with this one. But some RF-controlled fans integrate the receiver into the motor housing in a way that would be impossible to replace with this one.

So, am I correct to assume that if I canā€™t remove the existing receiver, then I canā€™t add the Zigbee one?

Iā€™ve copied over the code into the handler and it does seem to work with alexa but cant help to wonder if im missing something or doing something wrong. At the beginning it shows a appā€¦ I donā€™t see that anywhere and where is it suppose to be. Also in smartthing app on phone it states as checking status? Is this right ? And is it suppose to be broke up into so many devices? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I really donā€™t participate in the forums as I also have recently moved over to Hubitat Elevation due the unreliability and slowness of my SmartThings Hub v2 system. I love this Community but simple things like staying up and running, slow execution, entry/exit delays , backup and restore, etc. became a sore point SmartThings never addressed. If my only fix was to move to Hub v3 then there was no reason to not move to a different system altogether that solves these problems and Hubitat was that answer for me. It isnā€™t for everyone but it addressed my issues.

I think SmartThings suited me well as an entry level starting point with few devices. This platform introduced me to the huge possibility of home automation but for me as I grew in adding devices and complexity, my layout exposed the weaknesses of SmartThings and it just couldnā€™t handle it reliably.

4 Likes

Hi all, great work guys, I am sincerely grateful to everyone who has put so much into this.

Need to replace broken fan in living room

would love to connect it to my Smartthings hub V2. I found 4 ā€œwinkā€ fans on Homedepot and iā€™m guessing all these fans will integrate with your solution but before I order 1 I just wanted to check.

Feel free to share any information you can. I totally get it if you are sick of people like me not doing our own research, but honestly I have i just want a second opinion as I sometimes miss things.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/compare/?errorURL=ProductAttributeErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&prodComp_0=305651934&prodComp_1=305651770&prodComp_2=305653704&prodComp_3=306064912&keyword=wink%20ceiling%20fan%20bronze

I havenā€™t bought one but I would expect that anything listed as a Wink fan is just a standard fan packaged with the same controller in the box. If youā€™re really lucky theyā€™ll have attached it to the motor housing in a way that eliminates the grunting and straining to tuck all the wires back in while you push the fan back up and close the canopyā€¦

I retrofitted a couple Hampton Bay Fans with the Wink add-on kit. You will probably need to have some type of Zigbee repeater too for this to work unless the fan is close to the hub and in the same room. I have one in the living room with the hub (no repeater) and one in the bedroom (needed a repeater).

I havenā€™t used any of these Fans but they look like any of them should work (are Wink enabled) based on the descriptions listed.

@TrueFlaNative1957 I have the same brand of box behind my tablet and the VidaMount. the way I made it flush and seamless was to not use the top plate cover of the outlet. the cover doesnā€™t have any function other than appearance and is hidden from view by the tablet mount.

How frustratingā€¦

I bought one of the Hampton Bay Wink Universal kits, added all the device handlers and when I search for devices it just finds it as a ā€œZigBee Dimmerā€, tried resetting it with the 5x on off dealy, though Kind of doing that blind in that I am not using the lighting part of the controller since I have smart bulbs in the fan and the lighting is just wired ā€˜hotā€™ for that reason. Anyway this is all very frustrating since I am trying to experiment with this on the fan that is closest to my hub and that is actually one of 3 fans on a common switch each with 3 LIFX Minis in it, which just so happen to also reset to the 5x on-of sequence so every time I have to reset this thing I am also resetting 9 LIFX color bulbs. which that alone would be a pain but LIFX doesnā€™t like my Aruba WiFi for setup, meaning that in order to re-pair those bulbs I have to disable pretty much my whole WiFi, setup some crappy 2.4Ghz cable company AP to re-pair them, and ā€¦ anyway big olā€™ pain in the aā€“ā€¦

So, kinda stuck here, my assumption is that it should identify the device as some KOF Fan thing, but itā€™s just identifying it as what seems like a generic ZigBee Dimmer with on-off and 20-100% dimming capability, nothing else. I also assume that since I can see the device as something this is probably a DH problem and not dud hardware? Iā€™m kinda new to this, Iā€™ve gotten a few DH things working (MyQ Hub, Sylvania ZigBee Motion Sensor).

Not sure what I am doing wrong here, Iā€™ve scanned this and Rangaā€™s Alpha thread and several others and donā€™t see this particular issue anywhere. Also if I do the repo update should I have 6 device handlers? 3 dcoffing : and 3 stephack : ones? I also have a ā€œdcoffing : 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostatā€ show up in My SmartApps although that happened like 24 hours after I added the Device Handlers. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is in my usually warmly lit office which is now bathing me in overly bright, overly white default LIFX light.

It sounds like you need to assign the KOF device handler to the device manually in the IDE. If itā€™s connected to your hub there shouldnā€™t be any reason to reset.

1 Like

Just a suggestion.

I would remove the LIFX bulbs from all the fans when resetting the one your working on so they donā€™t reset. It would be a pain for 3 fans but probably not as big a pain as it sounds like it is to rejoin them.

Maybe replace the LIFX with regular bulbs in the fan your working with until you get it setup? That way you will have the visual cue needed to confirm a reset.

FWIW, both of my fans selected the correct KOF DH when discovered. Are you sure that all of the KOF DH code has been installed correctly? I know I missed a piece of code when I set my first fan up.

Well all the LIFXs reset already so it is what it is at this point. I have the 3 dcofing DHs that were added via the github, so I didnā€™t cut and paste the code, I added the repository and did it that way. Then I updated and that added the 3 from stephack. I did try and manually add it which at least gives me a view of what it sort of should look like but it doesnā€™t seem to actually control anything. I get one light and 5 fan icons all labeled ā€œoffā€. Pressing any of them just says ā€œadjustingā€ but doesnā€™t seem to actually do anything. As far as the lights, yea I suppose I can stick some regular bulbs in there, and rewire it so the light is actually hooked up. Right now I just have the light wire capped and the light kit is wired along with the red ā€˜hotā€™ input wire so itā€™s just always live. Though I donā€™t think itā€™s a reset issue, it does see it, it just doesnā€™t see it correctly.

Iā€™m slightly confused at what you have installed. I just looked at the IDE (tried to grab a screen shot but the phone is being difficult this morning) and there are 3 devices. One for the fan, one for fan speed, and one for the light. When properly installed, you will have 2 things show up in your ā€œthings listā€. The fan controller, and the light. When using things like WebCORE you will also see switches for fan speed (low, med, med-high, high & comfort breeze). What are you seeing?

An interesting side note; I am trying this controller on a Lamps Plus Casa Vieja (their house brand) Endeavor fan which uses itā€™s own RF remote controller. The curious side note here is that using the Hampton Bay controller and remote low is low, med-high is medium, high is high, and hereā€™s the curious part, medium is reverse, one speed, reverse. It seems to just always slow down and reverse in that setting and always slow down and go forward in any other.

Under Device Handlers:

dcoffing : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller dcoffing/KOF-CeilingFan (master) Published Actuator, Configuration, Light, Polling, Refresh, Sensor, Switch
dcoffing : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller - Fan Speed Child Device dcoffing/KOF-CeilingFan (master) Published Actuator, Light, Sensor, Switch
dcoffing : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller - Light Child Device dcoffing/KOF-CeilingFan (master) Published Actuator, Light, Sensor, Switch, Switch Level
stephack : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller dcoffing/KOF-Fan (master) Published Actuator, Configuration, Health Check, Light, Polling, Refresh, Sensor, Switch
stephack : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller - Fan Speed Child Device dcoffing/KOF-Fan (master) Published Actuator, Light, Sensor, Switch

stephack : KOF Zigbee Fan Controller - Light Child Device dcoffing/KOF-Fan (master) Published Actuator, Light, Sensor, Switch, Switch Level|||
| ā€” | ā€” | ā€” | ā€” | ā€” | ā€” |
||

And then under SmartApps:

dcoffing : 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat dcoffing/SmartThingsPublic (master) Published My Apps

when manually added, I just have the Fan Controller and Light Child as a separate thing. In the Controller Properties I have the following Child devices listed:

Again this is when manually added, but this is also not anything functional, itā€™s just what got added when I added a device manually through the IDE using the data from the ā€œZigBee Dimmerā€. I couldnā€™t add those parameters whith that device present so I copied what it was, deleted the device and then added a new device with those parameters, and well above is what that got me.

I mean I suppose I can just wipe it all out and start again from pasted ā€˜codeā€™ just thought adding the github repository and updating was supposed to be the better way of doing things.

I initially did cut/paste then added the repository but I donā€™t think that would matter.

I had to try and reset the fan a few times in the past to get it to reset. Just a heads up in case it wonā€™t pair after the reset (since you donā€™t have the visual confirmation).

I am far from being extremely knowledgeable when it comes to pairing issues but to me it looks like the fingerprint wasnā€™t picked up either because the fan didnā€™t pair correctly or the DH didnā€™t set up correctly.

If it was me, I would delete the entire DH, reset the fan, and start from scratch.

I just noticed that I missed some of your response. For some reason it is only showing on my laptop. Anyway, I donā€™t have any of the ā€œstephackā€ stuff. To me it looks like you have 2 different DH installed and that may be what is causing the issues. Try removing the ā€œstephackā€ stuff. Also, the 3 speed ceiling fan thermostat smartapp is not needed to use the DH. I donā€™t think this will cause any issues but you might try removing that too. You only need the dcoffing/KOF DH (3 pieces of code).

I did just do a quick cursory search for stephack KOF and I ended up on a page with DH for Hubitat (a different hub from Smarthings).
Here is the link. https://community.hubitat.com/t/hampton-bay-zigbee-fan-controller-driver-with-component-devices/2024
Iā€™m pretty sure that this is a Hubitat DH and thus is probably not natively compatible with Smarthings

1 Like