[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

I haven’t seen or heard of this issue. I have seen where they stop communicating with the hub altogether but not that they turn themselves off randomly. Do you have any smartApp associated with the fan that might be sending an off command?

I looked at the logs for these devices and no stop was given.

The logs for the fan may not show what you are looking for. For example, an app can send an off command to the one of the fan speeds and not the fan itself. The result would be the same. The fan will turn off. If you have any smartApp associated with any part of the fan, I would look closely at those first. Otherwise you might have a defective unit.

Put one of these receivers in today. It worked for about an hour, then stopped responding to SmartThings. Reset, re-paired, worked for another hour or so, then stopped responding again.

Is it the device handler that’s causing this or the receiver?

Mine has been solid after putting a repeater in the same room.

Try that.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s probably the receiver. Read through this thread. There are lots of posts regarding poor connectivity with this device. A zigbee repeater (smartplug for example) usually fixes the issue.

1 Like

Lol…what @greg said. Great timing on the post bud.

1 Like

Do you think it’s this specific receiver, or all of the MR101Z units?
My hub is in the next room, less than 20’ away. I do only have 2 Cree bulbs about 15’ away, and everything else is zwave.

I’m assuming the larger white antenna is the Zigbee antenna. I clipped a hole in the side of the fan cowl to route that out and made sure it wouldn’t get pinched in at way. It is just barely sticking out the side now. I’ll pull it out further and see if it makes any difference.

I have no need for a smart outlet in this room, but a temp sensor world be handy. Can anyone suggest a plug in Zigbee sensor? Or maybe a Zigbee air vent cover? A Zigbee scene controller would be great as well if I could use it to control the light/fan.

Interestingly, if I simply view the device details in the developer portal page, the connection comes back up!

I noticed yesterday that I could go to that page and change the DH, which did bring it back. Today I went again to that page. It showed status as active, so I tried to turn the light on in the app and it worked. Strange.

The bulbs could be the issue. My suggestion is to cut the power to your bulbs, unplug your hub for 15-20 min (remove batteries too) - plug it back in - this will rebuild your zigbee mesh. Let it rebuild for a few hours, test your fan, then power up your bulbs.

I have an iris Plug in the room, doing nothing but acting as a repeater.

2 Likes

I do also have 2 Sylvania dimmers. Those are Zigbee as well I believe. Should I pull the batteries on those too?

The Lightify dimmers are battery powered so they don’t repeat signal. Thus they would not need to have their batteries removed. I don’t know of a completely battery powered device that acts as a repeater (uses too much energy).

Most mains powered ZigBee and Z-Wave devices act as repeaters (such as the Lightify bulbs). Unfortunately, many vendors bulbs do not work well as repeaters due to their limited buffer sizes. Lightify bulbs are one of those vendors. Having them on the latest firmware helps, but some have still reported issues.

The suggestion by @greg says to remove those repeaters from your mesh by following the above steps to see if your issues are resolved.

I have had up to 15 Lightify bulbs on my ZigBee network with the latest firmware and no mesh issues. If you don’t have your bulb firmware updated, I’d take a look at that as well.

Edit: I misread your post. I have not heard as many repeating issues with the Cree bulbs as Lightify.

1 Like

While everything @Greg has mentioned is true, keep in mind that this controller has known connectivity issues on both the Wink and Smartthings systems…even when very close to the hubs. I thought I fixed the problem at least 10 times only to see it pop up again. It connects and reconnects randomly…so whille it may appear to be solid for as long as a week, it may drop off again during the second week. Really hard to troubleshoot. I added a smarthings power outlet in my room and in the living area and it’s been solid for months. Just a heads up.

1 Like

Always unplug the hub for at least 20 minutes then plug in to let the Zigbee mesh rebuild when adding a new device.

Just to add a vote for a repeater… I’ve had an Iris plug under my fans for a couple of months and have had minimal disconnects. Happened to remove it for a couple of days and the disconnects re-appeared; replaced it and all is good again.

Are these receivers themselves repeaters? I was planning to put another in an adjacent room and was wondering if having 2 close to each other would help keep each online.

Has anyone tried mounting the receiver in the wall switch box in place of the fan/light switch(s). Trying to avoid climbing a ladder 15ft to reach fan.

please someone help, i cant get this to work. wish there was a step by step instructions

I think it would be way too big but as long as you have hot, neutral, ground and then wires going to fan and light on the fan, it should work, electrically. I think you would run into physical size issues with it, though.

Just put the device in pairing mode and put ST in add a thing mode. It’s just like any other device.

What isn’t working? Wiring not matching up? Unit won’t fit in canopy? Zigbee antenna not able to mount outside of canopy? No power? Won’t go into pairing mode? ST can’t find the devices? Devices not responding after pairing?

The first post has all the info on what’s needed on the ST side and the unit comes with wiring instructions and pairing instructions.