[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

It’s been said a million times but the first thing to try when having connectivity issues with these controllers is to install a zigbee repeater close by. Skim through this thread and the one below. This had helped a LOT of people.

3 Likes

I tried doing this to a couple fans I had in y house that had the same modules your hunter has. I ended up having to buy new fans. You may have a better understanding of wiring than I do, but I tried a few different things and never could get it to work. One of the fans didn’t work at all after my attempt, even putting everything back to normal. (Blew the motor, maybe? I don’t know)
My suggestion would be to give it a shot, but be prepared to run to the store and buy a new fan that day.

1 Like

So I’ve tried just about any and all sequences with cycling power at the circuit breaker to get the fan controller to reset and not once could I get the light to flash 5 times to confirm.

At this point I still do not see the controller on ST. I’m thinking of using my laptop with Internet Connection Sharing turned on with my ST crossover connected to my laptop while staying in my bedroom to see if it finds it or not.

Resetting can be tricky and can be a pain. I did not need to reset mine as it had never been paired and ST just found it after a little bit.

First how far from the hub are you? The close the better when pairing.

Finally… I got it; however, I’m not sure exactly the sequence on how I did it lol.

I tried to get my ST hub working off one of my laptops using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). For whatever reason I think I had a DNS issue (which is odd) and after 30 minutes of troubleshooting I said screw it and found my 50’ Cat5e patch. I ran that from my office downstairs (where I usually have my ST hub) and I made it JUST inside our master bedroom - perfect. Made sure ST was working and then tried to discover the fan. Everything I tried, turning on/off the light, turning on/off the fan, adjusting the fan’s speed, breeze setting, timer setting, etc. it would not get discovered. Determined, I was cycling through on/off with the light and speed settings on the fan when all of a sudden the light starts to blink on its own - 5 times to be exact. You have got to be kidding me… @#&%$(@&!%&#@ LOL. Anyways, moments later, the receiver was discovered and it’s now linked to my hub. Everything works. Yay!

Like most have said here, I need to add an outlet within the room to get status updates quicker. Operational commands are working with my ST hub back into my office (downstairs) but status updates are not very quick.

Thanks again for all of the help and the creation of this! I plan on doing this once we buy a ceiling fan for my daughter’s room.

Don’t want to distract from the core subject here, but wanted to share this info for those here who may not have seen it, and are still working out the best option for their fan control. I didn’t see any references to it here in this thread.

There is a “whole home” (up to 6 fans) solution that is available via the Bond Home bridge (or is it a hub? :slight_smile: ) for $99.

Currently has Alexa and GH integration for voice, and IFTT support that provides ST control. True SmartThings is not there yet. Integration is supposed to be coming “soon” (Q1 2018 is the target according to Bond team statements). Bond is also testing State remote control and IR control, and will be extended to control other devices (currently the app has an option to add Air Conditioners, I believe fireplaces and other RF devices are in their future plans, making them available to SmartThings.

I have it controlling six fans (Hampton Bay and Hunter) in my home via IFTT & Webhook commands from webCore pistons. You can also use the Bond app directly if you wanted to, and as noted there is Alexa voice control (allows on/off, speed, light, etc.) and Google Home. Google Home and IFTT control are currently limited to on/off, no speed control access, fuller control coming later. The Bond has been very reliable for me using it via IFTT w/ST.

What you don’t get is fan/light status reporting back to SmartThings (or the Bond app) since the fans remain “dumb” in this setup (no Zwave or Zigbee added to them). For most users that’s fine - you only use the fan when your sitting near it, in line of sight. If you must have real-time status reporting from the fan to ST then the Bond system is not for you.

Anyway, worth a look - $99 for up to six fans vs. cost of a remote/receiver per fan, and rewiring work. If you have any questions pop over to the Bond thread below to ask those using it.

1 Like

Maybe keep this thread on topic?

We need to allow some space for related information that is perfectly germane to the general topic (Hampton Bay fan control) and potentially very helpful for those who find this particular approach too expensive, too difficult, or too whatever. Options are good.

323 posts, one post on Bond = .3% “off-topic” if you will. I think we’re well within acceptable limits. :slight_smile:

That said, further discussion of the Bond option would be best held in the thread I linked to.

“Hampton Bay Fan Control” is referring to a very specific piece of hardware. The Chungear MR101Z receiver.

You are assuming you understand the needs and interests of everyone viewing this thread, and have been appointed monitor to decide what is related/on-topic or not. That is not your role here. If you feel any posts (including mine) are inappropriate and require moderation/action, you can flag them for SmartThings staff to attend to. My last post here on this, please PM me if you’d like to discuss further.

05%20PM

It would great if you could moderate yourself. Thanks for your input.

This thread is for a specific device. It does no service to anyone by posting unrelated questions that clutter up and confuse the purpose for this thread.

1 Like

So if I am using version 170515 the reason why several devices are showing in my Google home once I linked ST is a bug with composite devices as stated in post #297?

I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you are asking. That post has to do with how child devices show in the smartthings app. Please provide more details and I’ll try to help.

In post #297 you mentioned something about having all the child devices
show instead of one when using scenes and automations due a smart things
backend issue. I took this to mean the child devices also showed up this
way in Google home unintentionally. My question was supposed to ask if
there was a way to show Google home one or two devices per controller, like
fan and fan-light, vs the 7 that show with each controller. When I added
this device to Google home I got: bedroom fan, bedroom fan light, bedroom
fan comfortBreeze, bedroom fan low, bedroom fan med, bedroom fan med-hi,
and bedroom fan high. As you add more controllers this may get pretty
unweldy and was looking for a way around this.

Just restrict what a Google can see in your Google SmartApp. Just like Alexa I can limit the devices accessible to her.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I believe the Google smart app isn’t that smart. It has one
option available to “Allow Google assistant access to all devices, scenes
and routines”

So you don’t have an option to select the devices you want to allow Google to have access to?

I don’t have a google home, but I believe that’s a default setting, and you can allow or restrict individual devices, just like with Alexa devices.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/214837343-How-to-connect-Google-Assistant-with-SmartThings#Edit

If you uncheck the Allow All option, it will then let you select individual devices to share with Google.