[NO LONGER WORKING] Curb Energy Monitor Integration

I’ve just pushed a change to the server which will store the access tokens in a file (CurbBridgeData.json) so you can freely stop/start the server without re-authenticating. If a token stops working (not sure if they expire…) then just fire up the browser and re-authenticate. The new tokens will be saved in place of the old.

No changes to the ST code, so just pull from the git repo on the machine that runs the node.js code.

Give it a try, @BatraD

Justin,

thanks… Deleted my local folder and performed a new Git Clone

When I run the install, its taking over 30 min to build and am Getting the following error

npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON curbbridge@1.0.0 No description
npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON curbbridge@1.0.0 No repository field.

also, when i start the server, and try to login to Curb, i’m getting the following error
Curb onConnect
Logging in to Curb
Something Went Wrong…

Devesh,
Sounds like something is fishy… I just made a new clone and everything ran from scratch without a problem… The install step only takes about 15 seconds for me as well. It sounds like that might be the source of the problems.

I did see the warnings you mentioned, but they should not have caused a problem. Either way, I just pushed a change that fixes the warnings.

I also added some more useful print outs near the error you were encountering. Update and run it again and let me know what it does.

Another thing worth noting is that I have found some times where the Curb cloud is not behaving. If you continue to have problems, try logging into the normal curb portal and make sure the live data is available there.

1 Like

I just updated the device handler to render the power consumption in color. I just guessed at what would be a useful power to color mapping, so feedback is appreciated. This also fixes a bug where the power consumption appears on top of the icon when viewed inside the device page.

I successfully got his working with my 2 Curb’s but 2 things I realized.

SmartThings doesn’t really need or can utilize the sampling rate from the app. I think it’s slowing my system (could be my imagination) ActionTiles nor Simple Device Viewer can’t display the data in real time.
Would it be possible to adjust the data acquisition rate? 1 min might be a good start.

Could the code be modified to work with www.initialstate.com ? I think that’s a better platform to analyze the data.

Very cool. Thanks for posting

Glad to hear you got it up and running!

I originally limited the updates to 5 second intervals, but switched to 1 second since I’ve built a “dashboard” for my house with a needle gauge showing live power consumption and its much more satisfying to watch with a higher sample rate. I agree that most people don’t need this, so I’ve added a setting to the smartapp that allows you to select a sample period. After pulling from github, you will be able to go to the smartapp preferences and dial in your preferred period.

initialstate looks pretty cool! Since the CurbBridge generates ST events (like every other device), I’d guess you would be able to follow the instructions in this thread to shuffle the data off to initialstate. It should be possible to create a direct curb/initialstate connection with a different (but similar) bridge application like I’ve created if you don’t want ST involved at all, but I’ll leave that for the next dev who gets excited about initialstate :slight_smile:

a few of my probes are showing up as negative. what woulds you need to figure out the issue? I saw mention of this issue in a past post.

When the negative consumption issue was found before, the issue was related to using the bridge with multiple hubs. I believe I have corrected that bug. A few questions:

• Are you using the latest version of the bridge from GitHub?
  • How many curbs do you have?
  • Do the sensors report positive values on the curb portal?

To investigate further, I’ll want to have a look at the console output from the node.js program during authentication. If you could pm me the output up until the data starts streaming that would be helpful.

I’m using the latest version. I integrated with github.
I have 2 curbs.
The sensors are reporting correctly on curb portal.

I’ll PM you the console output.

Just a follow-up from your initialstate.com suggestion: This thread links to a new blog post at the initialstate blog which seems to address your goal. I haven’t tried it, but my quick read of the post leads me to believe that CurbBridge will work as a data source without any modification. Please let us know if you give it a try!

You may have noticed that in the last day or so Curb has done a major update to their software. This update has completely broken my CurbBridge integration with SmartThings. I’d really like to get it working again, but their API documentation (previously at http://docs.energycurb.com/) has been taken down, so they may be trying to close down access to the system. I’ll definitely post here if I get it up and going again, but I don’t have high hopes.

I don’t think @Erik has appeared on this forum beyond his original announcement, but it would be great if he could post here with some context. I know that for me, getting Curb data into SmartThings is a game changer and a more significant feature than any fancy GUI changes they could possibly make to the web app. I’d love to work with Curb to re-enable my integration.

2 Likes

I noticed this as well. I sent Curb a support request, but I haven’t heard anything back yet.

3 Likes

Hey there,
I’m a developer at curb, and we’ve drastically altered our api. We’ll be releasing the documentation in the coming weeks as things settle down. We’re prioritizing the developer community and our api more than ever, and we’re super excited to see how people end up tinkering with their Curb data. Thanks for being patient!

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! Also, I’m glad to hear that Curb is on board with non-standard uses of their system. I look forward to updating my CurbBridge software to work with the new curb API as soon as documentation becomes available.

Hi Justin and All,

We are excited to have you leveraging the Curb data and we are looking forward to exploring more use cases. As Neil mentioned above, we’ve gone through a restructuring of our backend system to enable faster feature development and deeper integrations with platforms like Smartthings. Thanks for the patience as we get the new documentation updated!

-Erik

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to re-enabling my integration when the docs come out.

@Neil_Z and @Erik any updates for us? I’m really missing my curb data

same here… thanks …

@Dianoga @BatraD I’m missing it too! We had a good call with @jh0 last week to walk him through our new API. Sounds like he has made some good progress, but still doing a bit of fine tuning…
Expect an update soon!
-Erik

1 Like

Many thanks to the Curb guys (@Erik, @Neil_Z and crew) for being super supportive of this project! I’ve made good progress getting CurbBridge back up and running and have high hopes that it will be ready for primetime soon. Just a couple more quirks with the new authentication system to iron out. I’ll definitely report here as soon as its ready for beta test round two.

2 Likes