[OBSOLETE] Netatmo security

I think the webhook that delivers notifications to ST follows the app settings. I don’t think it would make sense to switch off motion detection depending on the ST mode by the way; normally your scenes or automation rules take that into account. Motion sensors should just work.

1 Like

Yeah that’s cool, but I don’t want the SD card or cloud/FTP to be filling up with video of me smoking in the garden, & notifications from NP would need to be paused… But if the floodlight could still function that would be useful. :sunglasses:

There’s no way to control the presence settings from the ST hub unfortunately. Also, the sd card rotates and I have my images uploaded to dropbox, where I just keep current and last month and delete the rest. So there’s no issue of the sd card filling up :wink: Do make sure its waterproof though, mine malfunctioned after some heavy rain, so I had to replace the card and put some tape over it (even though the card slot is facing downward on the bottom of the camera). It’s also annoying that the presence camera’s do not have face recognition. Inside I have the welcome versions configured not to record the people it knows which works pretty well.

Thanks for the info.

So I’m thinking I’ll need to set-up ST notifications from NP to happen only when away or at night, & kill NS notifications in Android all together.

Personally I’m not bothered about facial recognition, just about ST modes. Everything I have runs off those; Arlo, LIFX, LightwaveRF, smart sockets, Canary, Ring. I find it rock solid 99% of the time using phones as presence sensor.

Currently when we’re outside having a smoke, we get about 10 notifications that there are people detected. I think facial recognition may cut half of that, but simply don’t need recording of specific areas when ST is in home mode.

If you can solve that then you’d be a God to me! Lol

1 Like

Well the whole thing starts int the alert & recording settings in the netatmo app.
If the app decides a notification needs to be sent, the webhook is also activated and ST gets the notification. I’m a bit hesitant to start blocking motion notifications when they come in because then there are 3 layers that could block a notification from coming through with possible issues as well.

For presence, you have the options for the notifications:

• to set a timeframe in which notifications are sent
  • send notifications always or only when nobody is home

I would say that you should activate the only when nobody is home option (I use that). Problem is that the fact whether anyone is home is only controlled by welcome devices. When people havent been seen for a while they are set as away. The netatmo api has the option to set persons or the house away but its always tied to persons and thus the welcome camera. I could link the ST mode away to netatmo away, but I cant set the netatmo system to “home”…

Complex stuff :slight_smile:

But im wondering since you don’t have any welcome devices, do you have a presence notification option “only when nobody is home”?

Understood :innocent:

There is nothing I can see in Presence to do with being home or away; however there is a Monitoring switch against each device. I am hoping this will be exposed through the API for switching, but I understand that will be dependent upon Netatmo. It’s a shame they don’t have some geofencing, or therefore open it up to allow other devices’ geofencing functions to cross over.

Canary has geofencing but I found it was terrible 14 months ago & ended up using a virtual switch in ST, IFTTT bridging it to a Wink shortcut (no Wink hub required) which supports Canary natively. It’s worked really well in all that time; I’m soon to retire the Canary because they’ve neutered its functionality without subscription compared to when it was new. Certainly if Welcome doesn’t geofence then I’m unlikely to go that route for replacement & just go for additional indoor cams.

I notice that when I switch it in the app it expects a pin code to set each time to be used to switch it back again. Seems a bit draconian to me since you have to be logged into the app to switch anyway.

Currently I have ST notifying me of alerts from each Netatmo, so I can be sure it is working, but I also have the notifications on the NS app too.

Within your smart app, there are tiles for people/animal/car as well as an on/off. None of these tiles respond to touch so presumably they are just notification/indication?

However, I can switch the on/off tile by using it in a ST Scene, so if I have a scene that is activated when I come home, it can change the tile state to off; however this does not translate through to an action on the Presence unit itself.

In comparison with Arlo cams, I use scenes to activate/deactivate 2 of my 4 cams when away, night or home. You mention about the Netatmo API giving the option to set persons or the house away; what is the effect of setting everyone away/home vs the house away/home?

In addition to all of this, I am also wondering about using the floodlight on motion sensing without recording/notification so that we are not recorded when at home, but can take advantage of the floodlight whilst outside in the dark.

Hey, I know this is all quite a big ask, & potentially not possible given what Netatmo decides to make available to devs, but if you don’t ask you don’t get! haha :clown_face:

Actually my netatmo app does have geofencing so it’s safe to assume the security functions are tied into owning a welcome camera as well. So we could either persuade Netatmo to open up the api more or you could buy a welcome cam as well. They are pretty stubborn French guys though so you might just want to pick up a welcome :slight_smile:

The car/dog/person tiles are just indicators for the relevant detection, and the on/off switch as well for when you disable the cam in the app. Its not supposed to switch from a scene so I should remove that.

The house away is set in netatmo when people havent been seen for a while or all users leave with their phones (geofencing). The app also has a button to force the away status immediately (which the api supports and can also be done via the welcome ST device. If you want, you could go into the dev.netatmo area and see if that api call does anything for you. If so I can put the button on the presence ST devices as well.

I’m pretty sure you can configure the floodlights separate from the notification bit.

Don’t count on Netatmo too much… I didn’t expect my welcome and presence devices to last this long, they have a habit of messing up their products and just leaving the customers in the dark.

I have posted on the dev forum. Looks like somebody else asked a year or 2 ago about adding on/off monitoring from external calls. I have also asked for triggering of Presence recording from external source such as motion sensors on ST. They do allow the Presence motion sensors to trigger in ST, so want it both ways! :wink:

Ok, already have dev.netatmo account from weathewr staions made this even easier. Everything went easy. I just added your github to my list of repos and synced it directly.

I don’t know if something is wrong with ST, Github or I just FUBARed something. ST keep forgetting all the settings for welcome cameras. I add the IP addresses and keys for them all. Then open each one in ST app and take a snapshot, everthing is working. Wait 5,10,30 minutes and they are missing. Sometimes 1 or 2 cams, sometimes all 5 that I had added. I go into IDE and the preferences are all blank like I never configured them. So I go back in, enter the IP addresses and Netatmo keys and they re-appear in ST app. ( mind you they are always visible in IDE ). I noticed IDE was running even slower than usual today. After I added your repo and these app/DTH I couldn’t get it to connect to any other repos to update anything else.

Well looks like I figured out whether it was me, ST or GitHub that’s FUBARed

Glad to hear its working. I received a SmartThings status message yesterday about errors editing DTH’s and smartapps, might be the issue. I’m working on rewriting the adding and removal of devices and persons, just need to find the time to finish it…

I found your post about the Netatmo Camera app development today - fantastic! I had tried in January to see if I could get an integration with my Presence Camera working using the generic camera driver but I am not a programmer so gave up after a while. Now you have made it possible, so thank you very much! It took a while - my friend and I missed the comment about the MAC address defining the IP address so spent ages pinging all the IP devices on my network - I gave many, before realising we could find it from the MAC address showing on the Netamo site under the ID and key. Better to put that ahead of your comments about two IP addresses on the Welcome camera. Didn’t expect the Prsence to be labelled as an Android device either, which is what it showed up as. Rest of your instructions were very clear. Much appreciate your efforts. Haven’t tried the web hook yet but want to get real-time notifications so guess that is what I will need to implement.

Strangely I can find my welcomes in my router named as “netatmo-welcome-mac”, one presence shows up as “netatmo-presence” an the other one is “android-mac” …

Wouldn’t be that Nets have different Mac depending on whether they’re on WiFi or LAN ? I only have Welcomes no Presence, but it took me a minute after setting them up initially with Cat6 and giving them friendly names, setting static IPs, then moving them and connecting to WiFi and having to set names assign IPs again to different Mac.

Each network interface has its own mac address. So the welcomes have two, presence one. You just need to pay attention with the welcome devices which one you pick, but it’s only a one time puzzle. I wish Netatmo would make the image/video grabbing part a bit easer…

Easy peasy, just have both Mac addresses assigned to same static IP LOL

Hi there, I’m considering buying a Netatmo presence and seeing that you have written this excellent integration with ST makes it all the more likely (they should be paying you a commission!) :wink:

I have a question though: With your integration are there controls for the floodlight available through smartthings? (E.g. would it possible to turn the floodlight on when smartthings multisensor detects an door opening?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is no way to control the floodlight via the api sadly.

OK… that is a great pity… I’m going to go in a different direction.

Thanks for your help.

@CopyCat73

The welcome cameras have the ability to hear an alarm. Is it possible to retrieve this notification.

It would be useful for when the smoke alarms are sounding. When ever driver is burning, my cameras send me alerts via the netatmo system, but in ST they could be used as triggers.

Thanks.