[BETA] Lutron Caseta Integration using Raspberry Pi (Pro or Standard Bridge) [DEPRECATED--See new Release thread instead]

No problem and sorry it’s such a pain. I’m hoping to find a better way. Maybe docker or something like that later. I’ll keep working on that.

@njschwartz, THANK YOU for all the development. I set this up last weekend in about 30 minutes using my PC and Lutron Pro hub. The PC’s already on all the time for about 6 other reasons, so adding another function just made sense. I’m excited to get Pico remotes working as SmartThings remote controls. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Mellquist What do you use the Pico remotes for (besides lights).

1 Like

@scottocs, I haven’t done anything yet. I’ll let you know once I play around with it this weekend.

1 Like

Edit: EVERYTHING WORKS! Best day of my life.

1 Like

Glad you guys got it working! Enjoy and let me know if you find any issues.

First I’d like to thank Nate for all his hard work.
I am trying to get this set up on a Windows 10 machine. I installed Python 2.7 64 bit and Cygwin. When trying to install Twisted, I get the following error:

$ pip install Twisted[windows_platform]
Collecting Twisted[windows_platform]
Downloading Twisted-17.1.0.tar.bz2 (3.0MB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 3.0MB 372kB/s
Collecting zope.interface>=3.6.0 (from Twisted[windows_platform])
Downloading zope.interface-4.3.3.tar.gz (150kB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 153kB 5.2MB/s
Collecting constantly>=15.1 (from Twisted[windows_platform])
Downloading constantly-15.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting incremental>=16.10.1 (from Twisted[windows_platform])
Downloading incremental-16.10.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting Automat>=0.3.0 (from Twisted[windows_platform])
Downloading Automat-0.5.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting pypiwin32 (from Twisted[windows_platform])
Downloading pypiwin32-219.zip (4.8MB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 4.8MB 200kB/s
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/tmp/pip-build-J6eTWK/pypiwin32/setup.py”, line 83, in
import _winreg
ImportError: No module named _winreg

----------------------------------------

Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-J6 eTWK/pypiwin32/

1 Like

Thanks for the post. So I am not 100% certain the issue. There can be quirks getting things setup in Windows, but several people have. @stephack is one of them and may have some additional advice. From an earlier post above he said: [quote=“stephack, post:6, topic:62748”]
A few notes to anyone needing to get this working in windows:

I tried multiple versions of python. The only one that was able to successfully install the Twisted add on was Python 2.7 64 bit version.
I’m not sure if it was necessary but I also installed pypiwin32 (windows installer for 2.7 64bit version) from this location
[/quote]

I would try that 1st. It may fix your issue. Let us know!

Nate

I probably missed a post or three (this thread moves fast) but are you saying you were able to add a pico remote and use it to control things other than lutron? Similar to the Aeon remotes? I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use my pico remote mounted on the wall to kick off a scene, or at least turn on/off my lutron and zigbee/zwave lights.

I no longer have this setup with Win10…moved to Raspberry Pi solution…but if memory serves I had to do the following to get it working:

• Ensure only Python 2.7 64bit is installed. No other versions.
  • Install pypiwin32 for 2.7 64bit…the executable version.
  • Pip install twisted.
  • Pip install paramiko

Im pretty sure this is the pypiwin file I installed

pypiwin32-219.win-amd64-py2.7.exe

Hmm, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything after downloading fresh copies and I am getting the same error. Are you using Cygwin?
Just curious if anyone who has recently successfully installed this on Windows 10 can do a quick tutorial, possibly with direct links for the downloads you used? The information is scattered throughout 270 posts here.

I dont know what Cygwin is but did you install the pypiwin32 I described above?

Thanks for your reply. I used the exact file you referenced above, however in its installation I get this error:

close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Now that you mention it, I remeber getting an error on the install but everything still worked after installing twisted and paramiko.

Hmm, I just can’t get Python setup correctly in Windows. From the directions it seems as though setting up a Raspberry Pi might be easier. I’ll order one.

Actually, unless you are very familiar with Linux (more specifically Debian) it’s considerably harder to setup. Totally worth it in the end though.

When I am using Lutron Caseta Service Manager app in the ST app, I am having a problem with the switches not showing up in My Home. When it says Select Raspberry Pi, I hit Next. It finds all 12 of my switches, I select the switches I want to add, then hit Done. It says something about Lutron Caseta Service Manager app is now installed and running, but the switches never actually get added to My Home. Any thoughts?

You might try stopping and restarting the python script. I had to do this once after initial setup to get things working. Beyond that, you got me :wink:

I am almost certain this is a problem with ST right now actually. I’ve been doing a ton of testing the last couple of days and been having intermittent problems with that. Usually if I just wait and reload the app it works although just now it has been really bad. I wish I had a better answer but I don’t know that there is anything I can do. :frowning:

Thanks Matthew and Nate. Hopefully it works out soon. I tried stopping and restarting the script but it didn’t work.