[OBSOLETE] Hue Motion Sensor (beta) (no hue bridge)

Is it worth it to update the firmware on these motion sensors? I would imagine I would need the hue hub to do it.

Anyone know the default sensitivity for these? I mounted one up high in the corner of the room but it doesn’t seems to pickup any motion from about 9 feet away until I actually stand up. I tried playing with the mounting but that did not seem to help much. It was angled down and literally pointed right at me and still does not seem to pick up motion when I sitting down, even if I swivel the computer chair still nothing. I tried a second one and same problem. I have one of them sitting on a small ledge at chest height in the bathroom and it seems to work fine.

Try to do a battery pull first.

I will try this when I get home from work today. I did try another brand new Philps sensor and had the same issue.

Can any one help? My sensor just keeps saying no motion detected? And says the temp is -292

Did you create the custom DTH in the IDE?

Yeh I have. And I have changed the device type 2 the very bottom one

what do you mean bottom one? I have about 15 of these around my house with no issues, have you removed it and try readding it?

I still don’t what i’m doing wrong but I have paired, reset, battery change, different variations of the code and i’m still not sure why my sensor works for a few mins then stop detecting motion or gets stuck at detecting motion then hours later or so it starts working again till triggered then stops again.

How far from the hub is the sensor?

i had the sensor a few feet away from it just to test it and still created the issue, is it possible that my unit is malfunctioning?

i don’t know how to set the lux value correctly so i haven’t modified it either

Still having issues with these sensors detecting motion while mounted up high. Anyone else have them mounted in the corner near the ceiling and facing down on an angle? Maybe these sensors only detect 100 degrees horizontally?

I have several of them 10 feet up pointed downwards in a corner with no issues, I would say they dont work as well after 10 feet away. But from zero to 10 no issues for me.

Well that may be the issue then because it could be close to if not slightly over 10ft, I didn’t actually measure. Philips says they are rated to 15ft, so 10ft is much less then their claims. When the sensor is mount lower I had noticed it picks up motion further then 10ft without issue. I just do not want to mount the sensor in the middle of the wall which would not look good from an aesthetics standpoint. Unfortunately I may need to lower/move it then which sucks because I will have to patch a hole now.

1 Like

So as you have found out it looks like there is a 10ft limit on these sensors, despite Philps claiming “15ft” range. I did a couple different tests to confirm this. The location in my office was about 11-12ft from the sensor, hence why there was issues.

Now I wonder if there was a firmware update that Philps put out to fix any issues, I could not find anything regarding firmware updates for the motion sensors. If anyone that has a Hue hub and these sensors can confirm or test if there was ever in fact a firmware update, I would appreciate it.

I have been using the sensor for 4 months using the DH from @Stephen_McLaughlin. Thanks for the DH. For the last 5 days, the sensor stopped working. It does not report anything to ST. It does show the motion detected (the red light glows), but nothings gets reported back to the hub.

I tried resetting it, and finally removed the device from the system. Now I am not able to add it back after following all the steps needed. Removing battery, pressing reset button etc. ST doesn’t report any event while trying to join. Any help is appreciated.

Not sure this would work but maybe remove the hue motion device handler from graph.ide them restart process from scratch.

Anyone have issue with the Lux reporting? Seems like it does not update unless I hit the refresh button in the Smartthings mobile app for that device, which is making it useless for turning on lights based on lux. It also seems to update when there is motion, but that still does not help.

That did really work. Thanks for the suggestion @Smartphi

1 Like