[OBSOLETE] Hue Motion Sensor (beta) (no hue bridge)

Thanks for the explanation. Does the motion sensor have to work like that? I mean with the 30s period where it won’t report motion after it has stopped reporting a previous instance of motion?

I’d like it to report new motion straightaway. I wonder if this can be configured?

I don’t know if it can be configured, but if it does, you’re going to run through batteries really quickly. One of the main ways the battery life gets extended on these kinds of devices is by doing interval checks with the device sleeping in between each check. So it sleeps most of the time, and wakes up and checks if anything is happening, reports if it is, Then goes back to sleep.

If you really want continuous reporting, you should use a mains powered device, preferably Wi-Fi. There are a couple of zwave motion sensors that can be run off of mains power, but mesh just isn’t as good a match to continuous reporting as a star topology like Wi-Fi because mesh doesn’t have forced sequencing, and if reports come too close together they may bounce around the network for a little while and arrive out of order.

TBH I do no know.
I didn’t write the handler for it.
There may be something in the code that can be changed to alter this setting.

EDIT: Have a look at line 152.
configCmds += zigbee.configureReporting(0x406,0x0000, 0x18, 30, 600, null) // motion // confirmed.
Changing ‘30’ to ‘5’ or whatever you wish, seems to do the trick. I think!!!

Did you try changing the ‘30’ in the code?
Just wondering if it worked or not.
I’m happy with the 30 second timer so left mine alone.

Thanks for the note, I will give it a go…

I have mine set at 10 and they work perfectly, no more delays.

Just to confirm, by changing the 30 in the code to 10?

Changing the 30 to 10 has made a difference and made the sensor more responsive. The value of 10 doesn’t seem to translate to a 10s delay. But never mind, I think this makes the sensor useful for me.

Thanks all for your help.

The 30, 600 in the ZigBee configure command means report at a minimum of 30 seconds and a maximum of 10 minutes. So even if the device reports a change, if it hasn’t been 30 seconds, don’t report it to SmartThings. The other 10 minute parameter says even if no motion has been detected for the last 10 minutes, send your current status.

For a battery operated motion device, I would recommend 0, 3600. Saves on battery when not in use and is more responsive.

1 Like

look at post 65 from calansvc. I would download his update that adds in the luminance. But yes change the 30 to any value you want I went with 10 sec.

Locate the following line (should be line 152):

configCmds += zigbee.configureReporting(0x406,0x0000, 0x18, 30, 600, null) // motion // confirmed

The 10 and 30 are supposed to represent seconds.

Is there a way to edit Motion sensitivity for the DH? It’s way to sensitive and picks up motion in another room. When I had it linked with the hue bridge it had 3 sensitivity settings. I would like that functionality in the DH. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

@Stephen_McLaughlin Is there any way to update the DTH for sensitivity?

Can anyone answer my question? Is there any way to edit Motion sensitivity for the hue Motion in the DTH? I had it connected on smartthings but it was way too sensitive. It’s like it’s on the high sensitivity setting. But when I use it on hue bridge the low setting works great. I would like to lower the sensitivity so I can use it on ST.

At the moment this DTH doesn’t seem to allow for changing sensitivity

Just installed this DH and worked right away without issue, thanks for sharing this. I was able to add the motion sensor automatically just by clicking the pin hole with a paper clip while the sensor is not attached to the hue hub. At first it was stuck on motion but after a battery pull it works very well.

Replying to an old post I know but that’s what I love with Hue! Unlike literally everything, Hue pricing is the same still in Canada and the US. Was just in Miami and thought maybe I’d get some deals on items but was surprised to see they are exactly the same price as they are back home, so they are actually much cheaper here with exchange rate. $39.99 with 13% HST is $45, convert that to current USD rates and it is $33, so even with tax it’s much cheaper in Canada. About time lol.

Hi, I have been using the hue sensor device handler for some weeks, the sensor controls a fibaro 2 switch.

The issue I have been experiencing is that the light will come on then turn off within seconds (it is set to turn off after 3 minutes with no motion). It is also hit and miss if the light actually comes on at all.

I use the standard smart light app, have also tried core.

Any advice?

@dthomp13 - are you using lux levels to determine if the light should come on or not?

I’m not, just if motion turn on.