[OBSOLETE] Hue Motion Sensor (beta) (no hue bridge)

Thanks @Townsmcp. Sounds sensible. I was hoping to leave some rules running in the Hue app whilst I migrate everything to CoRE but will bite the bullet. Good incentive to hone my CoRE skills faster!

Itā€™s certainly a good incentive to learn CoRE however I personally find using ST the sensors are not as good still, even after changing response checking down to 5 seconds from default 30 seconds. Hue manages the sensors more accurately but Iā€™m using the temperature settings to do whole house temperature for Nest. I have found though if I donā€™t use luminance sensor settings the pistons in CoRE work better but the down side is no decent switching of when in the rooms get darker

1 Like

Iā€™m contemplating buying one Fibaro sensor and putting that in the lounge and using that one to determine lux levels for all hue bulbs. Anyone have any experience of the Fibaro and can recommend that as a way forward? The lounge Lux levels are about the same as around the house but if itā€™s reliable and doesnā€™t make the hue sensors go on all the time when it drops lux to 0 then it might be an easy win. Iā€™ve tried Nest Weather and Smart Weather lux levels but thatā€™s just not up to whatā€™s needed for accurate indoor readings

I have a Fibaro Luminance Sensor in a spare bedroom that is never used.
I use this for Lux readings for around 10 pistons.
Works well until I turn the light on in that room but that is very rare.
You could install Weather Station 2 and use the Lux reading from that.
I have that as well as a backup in case the Fibaro locks up.

1 Like

On the hue app you can control the sensitivity of the motion was that built into this or could it be?

I thought for any other users I should report that Iā€™ve had a lot of success using the Hue Motion Sensor connected to the ST hub. I have one in my kitchen. It is connected to the ST Hub not through the Hue hub. Donā€™t know what version of firmware its using (it was one of the very first ones sold in the UK) but it connected straight out of the box (its never been used before) without hassle and has never dropped off the network (been using it for 7 days) the red light doesnā€™t flash but that is the only thing Iā€™ve noticed. I have a Fibaro dual switch controlling the lights in the Kitchen. Iā€™m using Core with the DH from this thread. I have one Piston that logs the luminance to a global variable but it only logs it if the Kitchen lights are not on, so this variable is a representation of the illumination when the lights are off. The other Piston turns the lights off, If the Kitchen Motion stays inactive for 3 minutes. But if the Kitchen Motion is active and the global variable of the lux is less than 10 it turns the Kitchen lights on. The lights come on within a second or two of entering the room if it is dark enough and go out within 2- 3 minutes of leaving the room. You can also switch them on manually and they stay on as long as you are in the room but then turn off. Very happy

1 Like

@eskdale it would be interesting to see your pistons for logging luminance, lights on and lights off if possible? I have found the Fibaro sensor are a bit slower to respond to Motion (but that could be needing me to tweak the settings more).
Also what model is the duel switch? Sounds like you have an interesting setup there.

@Townsmcp

This Piston is saving the Luminance in a global variable @luxg when it gets updated but only if both the Kitchen lights are off

This Piston turns the Main Kitchen lights off or on

There are probably better ways of doing it as Iā€™m only a Core beginner but this is simple and works for me so far.

The Fibaro FGS-223 is a dual relay/switch, for the kitchen I have one half switching the main lights and the other half switching the under cabinet lighting. I also have a second one controlling the two main lights in the living room for when you need bright lights plus 7 Philips Hue for the mood setting. Manual is here http://manuals.fibaro.com/content/manuals/en/FGS-2x3/FGS-2x3-EN-T-v1.0.pdf
I bought mine from Amazon for Ā£40 each. So it works out at Ā£20 a switch.

2 Likes

@Stephen_McLaughlin @Townsmcp Guys would there be much work in exposing the setting for sensitivity in the app? I have cats (quite big and fluffy!) and they trigger the sensors every now and then. The Hue app allows for it and Iā€™ve tried setting it there before adding the sensor in ST to see if that makes any difference but doesnā€™t seem to.

Is this code good to go?

Iā€™m just using the stock device handler as the Hue motion sensor is detected correctly by the ST hubā€¦and works well to control ST lights. Once I set a value of ā€œ1ā€ in the Luminance offset settings screen, it started reporting luminance back, but is jumping between ~16 and 51 raw? Actual LUX is about 171 as measured at the sensor using an iOS app as an estimate.

Is anyone else using LUX successfully from the HUE motion sensors? Right now Iā€™m using the weather tile pointing to a local Weather Underground station, but these LUX values are estimated based on weather description and time of day.

I used an iOS app called LightMeter and found the lux settings of the hue sensor to be very close and only different by up to 5. I also compared to Fibaro multi sensor and and the values were only a few points less on the Hue sensor.

I have gone back to the DH published by Stephen and I find this now works really well when I store the lux settings to a global variable and use that variable to determine if Lights should go on or not

Are you seeing Lux value fluctuations, or steady readings? I was hoping to use these values in the Smart Ligting app, although local processIng is likely not done when LUX is introduced as a constraint.

I see lots of fluctuations - especially when a reading is being taken. The value drops really low then comes back up but because it went low the lights always came on. But now due to saving to a variable that issue has been overcome

Where is the luminance offset screen? I only see temp offset.

Using the ST published device handler (Hue sensors were detected correctly) the Temp and Luminance offsets are in the advanced settings for the device accessed from the app. Iā€™m on a V2 hub in Canadaā€¦

can you send me the code, I think I lost my original?

The code is in post 75 from @calansvc. He tweaked the original beta code to include luminance offset as well as a few other bits

Thank you, that is what I used, I appreciate.

1 Like

Hi there, just got one. Thanks for the custom DTH. Is there a way to configure the sensitivity or the time it takes to retrigger motion ?