[OBSOLETE] Hue Dimmer Switch DTH (No Hue bridge) rewritten

Once you have it updated let me know and I will go back to it, I am back on the original one from Stephen McLaughlin and the drop outs are not as bad but I do still get the failures’s to trasmit. will report back tomorrow with the stats but here they are for the last 6 hours for one of the remotes I am using.

• Last Hop LQI: 196
  • Last Hop RSSI: -51
  • Received Messages From Device: 188
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 0
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 31
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 2
  • Updated Time: 2020-06-27 5:38 PM BST
    Data * zigbeeNodeType: SLEEPY_END_DEVICE
  • application: 02
  • endpointId: 01
  • manufacturer: Philips
  • model: RWL021

Hello again :slight_smile:

Been reading about device handlers all day and looking on various home automation forums to try and gain information around this dimmer switch, I am wondering if there is maybe a missing in cluster for the RWL021 model for the device handler, It seems that from reading on the forums most people with problems seem to have the later model RWL021 and not RWL020, from what I can find online the differences between the RWL021 and RWL020 are hardware revision differences for the circuit board itself and the software should be the same.

I am wondering if the device handler which you have written is sufficent for the RWL020 and not the RWL021, I assume the RWL021 may have extra communication properties that are required to be added to the device handler to prevent the drop outs we are seeing here.

I see people have managed to packet sniff the device using wireshark to get the relevant bindings and properties for the device and was wondering if anyone has ever done as such with the RWL021 model, I am currently interesting in doing so but need to do a lot more reading to understand how to execute this.

my 2 dimmers have just started working and no longer dropping out, totally astounded by this, I am running on the original device handler from Stephen McLaughlin. As above posts indicates I went back to the original device handler, the dimmer does not pair correctly unless you change the model to RWL021, I done this and paired the dimmer, I kept getting drop outs so I started removing certain parts of the code in the device handler to see what effect if any it would have, Anyway long story short it didnt have any effect on the drop outs, I kept getting the red light flashing every so often when I tried to use them, last night before I went to bed I pasted in the orginal device handler back in from github, It has the old model number in there (RWL020) and all the original code (unedited) I then got up this morning to find both of them worked straight away when using the dimmers and have worked flawlessly allnight tonight, I am totally astounded that they are working as the only thing that has changed really is the model info is using the old model number (I didnt need to re-pair them I just saved and published the code not realising I had left the old model number) I then went to bed.

I had ordered 2 Osram bulbs to use in place of my hue bulbs in the hope I can boost the signal but now I am not so sure it was even a signal issue as both have been working flawlessly all night, they have been left in the plastic magnet part overnight so maybe the mesh signal has sorted it out. Here is the stats from both the dimmers

• Last Hop LQI: 188

• Last Hop RSSI: -53

• Received Messages From Device: 647

• Messages Transmitted to Device: 176

• Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 1

• Updated Time: 2020-06-29 10:29 PM BST

• Last Hop LQI: 152

• Last Hop RSSI: -62

• Received Messages From Device: 845

• Messages Transmitted to Device: 205

• Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 5

• Updated Time: 2020-06-29 10:29 PM BST

it doesnt make any sense to me, the only thing is is different is the model in the device handler is now RWL020 rather than RWL021, but now they are working.

1 Like

I’ve been having similar drop out problems with the Hue remote RWL021.

Do we have a solution to the issue?

Is yours still working DeekB?

My two remotes work with this dth all day every day

I added some code for updating child DNIs when the parent rejoins. (github updated)

Since this DTH was made as parent&child devices, it could have same problem with zigbee multi switch, which I stated the problem as below.

It might help stability issue when zigbee network is poor.

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot for this! It has been some time since I had used the old DTH. When I went to try and update some of the Smart Lighting apps I had tied to my Hue Switches I found they no longer worked in the Classic ST app.

Even though it showed the switches were online and a battery level in the new app…the switches were completely useless. So I just changed one switch over to your DTH and voila! It worked right away!

Much appreciation :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

update today it seems to of dropped out a few times and I’ve had to re pair

great work! Been playing with this for a while now, your code seems to be working flawlessly, thank you!

Been playing with this for while now. I have five Hue dimmers, and have run into the same reliability issues others have. So I’ve dug a little deeper, and done lots of testing. From what I can see dimmers who have a route directly off the hub are rock solid. But the more hops a dimmer has to do to get to the hub, the less reliable they become. I have one in my bedroom, which is about as far away from my hub as I can get (having four hops to the hub) which hardly ever works, yet the one in my kitchen which is where my hub is, never fails. Not sure if this helps, but maybe others can see if they get the same results…

that’s strange.
mine never has been connected directly to the hub, but never had any problem. it is repeated by my zigbee curtain now.

I’ve been playing again after reading your post, mine was connected a nearby smart plug, messed around alittle and your right if the dimmer is directly connected to the hub then theres no drop outs! Very strange but 4 days running now with no issues

1 Like

I am using this DTH with a couple of RWL021 model remotes. However, these also drop-out eventually after a couple of days with the four button reset not effecting a successful reconnection. Is there any info I can provide that might help to diagnose this issue?

Thanks

@iquix these do not work properly since the latest ST app update.
Extremely slow to load detail view, and button presses are not recognized until minutes later sometimes.

It seems that Smartthings server is kind of unstable this week. I hope ST team would fix these problems.

I’m still getting regular disconnects of this switch which require them to be re-paired.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this with the new v2 model? Hoping it just needs a new fingerprint added.

Is there any other fingerprint other than model: RWL020 or model: RWL021?

This will likely have a new fingerprint, as soon as I have one will try with this DTH.

I don’t see that kind of type # on my Hue Dimmer Switch.

What is w(h)att?!

PS since a few days mine loses connection with the SmartThings hub. Online for a short time, then lost connection.

1 Like

Mine too. Looks like problem related to the hub software update. All my zigbee bulbs (Osram, Lidl), all zigbee sensors with custom DTH are offline.