[OBSOLETE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch With Double-Tap

Thanks for the background and context, and it makes things a little more understandable to see Jaco’s side of things. That’s what’s nice about reading your posts, especially for someone like me who has joined this party a little later. Knowing that, I’ll ease off on my beating up on Jasco, at least a little. :slight_smile:

But as is the case in all business, especially in the technology world, companies need to adapt to changes in the times or be left behind. The hub providers, like Samsung, providing the drivers for companies absolutely made sense 5 years ago when there were probably like 15 different companies out there making hubs, and they wanted to attract as many devices and manufacturers as possible. Boy how times have changed, what are we down to like 4 viable Zwave hubs left as the ghosts of the past keep disappearing? The ball has moved to the hub manufacturers court now, and its, “make your own driver, you need us more than we need you”.

In the end, how I feel about Jasco won’t really matter, and the market will be their best judge. If people continue to purchase their products, why bother investing in changing? But if people speak with their wallets and don’t buy their switches anymore because there are better supported alternatives, they’ll either listen or go out of business (or make something else, which may not be ideal…). But personally, I’d rather have a company that can provide their own driver. I wouldn’t want to be relying on some stranger on the internet to keep the code updated, which is really why I am doing my best to learn more on this coding myself. I was annoyed at first having to learn this but it’s proving useful getting back into coding, if there’s a bright side to all this I suppose.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly true for the small companies like Inovelli and Zooz. Maybe not for Jasco since the Z wave alliance says that 2/3 of zwave devices are still sold through professional installers. Companies like ADT pulse and Xfinity home like the GE name, and are almost certainly the majority of Jasco’s sales.

That’s not to let either Jasco or smartthings off the hook. The advertising is still misleading and still very annoying even if DIY customers are only a small percentage of their sales. It’s just to say that we may not have as much leverage with a company like Jasco as we would have with Inovelli or the smartest house.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that the consumer market was that small of a percent. I’m afraid you probably are right, we may not be able to push our weight around as much as I thought. At least if some read this thread prior to buying they will get some education, or be able to plan for future purchases.

I can only hope that I can continue to maintain the drivers beyond next year after the IDE is sunset. I really hope that we won’t have to host our own code for this somewhere for custom drivers, but I just don’t know how any of that will work.

1 Like

@mwav3 I assigned your GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch DTH to all of my GE Fan Switches which I had assumed behaved much like the dimmer switch. None of the fan switches will respond to on/off in smartthings new app or action tiles. Does this mean that there is no double tap support for GE Fan Switches? Slightly OT but what DTH would you recommend for GE Fan switches? Thank you!

• MSR: 0063-4944-3131
  • manufacturer: Jasco Products
    Raw Description zw:L type:1108 mfr:0063 prod:4944 model:3131 ver:5.20 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,5A,85,59,73,26,27,70,56,2C,2B,7A role:05 ff:8400 ui:8400

You’ll have to use a DTH specifically designed for that device.

First rule of Home automation: “The model number matters.”

For the fan switch, see the following thread. Look near the end for the newest updates.

[BETA] GE 14287 Z-Wave Plus 3-Speed Fan Control With Double Tap

1 Like

And the default Zwave Fan also works well - even gives a cool little spinning fan icon on the dashboard tile for the fan when it’s on. Also, no there is no doubletap support on the fan switches.

1 Like

I tried to make one to support double tap on the fans, but it’s untested. Hopefully someone can try it. Link above in @JDRoberts post linking to the fan thread

@nathancu I was able to get the cool spinny fan thing working at least. Probably the only thing I like about the new app :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would my DTH work with this device? I went the route of a single button to support automation.

I’m pretty sure your DTH would work with the 46203, the specs are very similar. The Jasco’s had a bunch of different versions and many have different config parameters though, so you really have to be careful with selecting the right one. I don’t have a 46203 I have the older switches. I updated a bunch of DTH’s from the old Nuttytree handlers, available here on my Github - https://github.com/mwav3/smartthingscode You seem to have run into similar issues I did with updating the DTH’s on the current platform. The current automations view in the new app only supports one button, and customizations to that view are not possible yet but will be “at some point in the future” per the developer thread here Custom Capability and CLI Developer Preview

People who have been using these DTH’s for some time on this platform are using the ones originally based on the Nuttytree DTH’s that configure two separate buttons for double tap. The problem is the new app broke that somewhat, and now you can only access the multiple buttons with Webcore or the Smartlighing app. Your DTH seems to work around that, but is very different programming from mine, and appears to use child devices. I thought about that route, but child devices a lot of times cause other issues, cluttered multiple other devices that are hard to keep track of, and frequently break voice assistant integration or have other unintended consequences. The platform seems to be moving away from child devices. I think the ideal thing is to have the automations view be able to be customized with multiple buttons all working in a single handler/device. The platform is going through some growing pains and the dust hasn’t settled, so a lot is up in the air. That being said if anyone is looking for alternatives, they can definitely give your DTH a shot.

Just got my modified version of Nuttytree’s DH properly working with native double tap support. Simple edits. I see you’ve already borrowed my switchmode and minimumdim code (I was the first to share those hidden parameters and your code is an exact copy/paste of mine).

For double tap to work, change all of your numberOfButtons = 2 references to = 1. Then be sure to set the supportedButtonValues property to the values supported by your device. In this case, I’m using [“down_2x”,“up_2x”] for this one.

Once done, you can use the native automations feature to trigger your event via down_2x and up_2x. These will also be exposed to SmartLighting, WebCoRE, etc…

2 Likes

Thanks @bradlee_s. Another user messaged me with the code changes for the hidden parameters, and I didn’t know they already were from your code so apologies for that. Chris stopped maintaining the original code, and this definitely wasn’t my code to begin with i just kind of took it on to keep it updated. I definitely want to make sure all others get credit for their contributions.

I was waiting on the dust to settle around the custom capabilities being worked out before making more updates, but will look into updating the DTH now with the single button and changing the supported button values, and definitely will mention your ideas as a contributor. Thanks.

No worries! I even messaged him directly with the code to add to his handler and he never got back to me. I’m glad people are using it!

If you need help making the edits, let me know.

1 Like

Thanks for this post I’ve been trying the new button programming out and this is an awesome way to get this working in the new app’s automations section, which will be a lot easier for people. I updated the code on my Github to use the new method of down_2x and up_2x. Link here https://github.com/mwav3/smartthingscode/blob/master/devicetypes/mwav3/ge-jasco-zwave-plus-dimmer-switch.src/ge-jasco-zwave-plus-dimmer-switch.groovy or import from mwav3 smartthingscode master.

A couple things though before upgrading, it is a “breaking” change for anyone that was using the two seperate buttons, so any automation would have to be updated after applying the code update to use button one and either up_2x or down_2x. One other minor thing I noticed is webcore is behind the times and only lists pushed and held in its default drop downs, so you would need to do an “expression” and “up_2x” or “down_2x” to continue using the DTH in webcore. I think most would figure that out though. Screenshots below showing the change. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks again @bradlee_s for this great idea. I will work on updating the other handlers I have for the on/off switch etc to support this new method.

2 Likes

The previous version of this file worked for me with my sth v3 and the new app. Now that you have changed it , I can’t get it to work with smart lighting. not sure why.

I tested the new code on smartlighting and it worked on my end, but if you upgraded you will have to redo all the automations because the button numbers changed. You also might need to go to preferences and toggled “force settings update refresh” Unfortunately that was the only way to get it working with the automation screen directly (without using a smartapp) in the new app.

If you just want to roll back to the old version that worked for you though its at this link: https://github.com/mwav3/smartthingscode/blob/aaa4ef3c9cb0149d6f3da51b9de2cf294d33f994/devicetypes/mwav3/ge-jasco-zwave-plus-dimmer-switch.src/ge-jasco-zwave-plus-dimmer-switch.groovy

1 Like

Thank You on both counts. :grinning:

I still have the 2018 DHT versions of the dimmer & on/off switches… although one of my on/off & one of my dimmer switches died, replaced with 46201 & 46203 models… I’m looking to finally update to the new updated versions of these DH… do I just copy/paste over the existing code? Or do I need to first do something at the switch?

Also, If I decided to go for the budget Jasco: UltraPro Z-Wave Plus Smart Light Dimmer Switch, In-Wall White Paddle | Repeater Range Extender | ZWave Hub Required - Alexa and Google Assistant Compatible, 39351 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3LXZJ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3335RC2YJ48X5DX7HNSN

Would these work with the newer 46203 code or the older ones?

I would not paste over since the other handler was for a different device. I would just add the 46201 and 46203 each as separate new handlers. I haven’t used Smartthings in a few months, but still am leaving the code on my githib for anyone to use or modify. Here’s where you can get both. It hopefully will still “fingerprint” the new switches to the new code if you install the code before the switch. If you add tge code after you would just have to scroll through the devices and select the right ones.

I checked the config parameters on the zwave alliance page for the 38351 and they look identical to the 46203, so the 46203 handler should work

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4005?selectedFrequencyId=2

Also, I know Smartthings is transitioning to edge, which is exciting news for the future, but that means these custom Groovy handlers I have will stop working at some point. They would have to be converted to a new edge driver in another programming language. I’m not sure what would be involved with doing that.

1 Like

Hey all,

One of my older Jasco Zwave Plus units kicked the bucket yesterday and I put in a 47336. I tried using the 46201 code posted here and double tap does not appear to be supported. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it working through Smart Lighting but not Associations Group 3.

One of the issues with association groups that’s been turning up a lot recently is that they won’t work if the two devices joined at different levels. The newer Jasco units support S2 security, so if you’re trying to associate it with an older one then that’s likely your problem.

2 Likes