[OBSOLETE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch With Double-Tap

Hi, somewhat new here and new to smartthings. I have a number of GE SmartWave Dimmers (14294 - model:3038 ver:5.26) and could use some help. When I first installed them and set them up in smartthings, turning the light on was a slow process. There was a delay and then it would slowly dim up to full strength. Turning off showed similar behavior. The turning on slowly part is a problem when entering a room. Kinda need that light on pretty instantly.

Searching for help on this led me to this page and using the GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch device handler. I have the light turning on and off fairly instantly now, but the dimming function is fairly useless now. It dims from 0-99 almost instantly and from 99-0 almost instantly, when pressing and holding the button manually. Adjusting the dimming in the app is easier and I can drag the slider to the dim level I want, but the light changes dimming instantly. Here are my current settings, although Iā€™ve tried many other settings and havenā€™t been able to affect it:

Name Value
paragraph
allonDelay 0
allonSteps 99
invertSwitch false
ledIndicator on
manualDelay 100
manualSteps 99
zwaveDelay 100
zwaveSteps 99

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Luke

I think you may have gone the wrong direction with your steps and delays. Here are mine:

indicatorStatus: when off
button: pushed
numberOfButtons: 2
inverted: false
zwaveSteps: 1
zwaveDelay: 1
manualSteps: 1
manualDelay: 1
allSteps: 1
allDelay: 1

Thanks for the reply.

That gets me back to the original functionality where the light dims nicely when pressing and holding, but turning the light on and off happens very slowly. Iā€™d like turning it on and off to be quick, but pressing and holding dims it slowly. Can this be achieved with this device handler? Or a different handler?

Thanks again for the help.

Anyone know if thereā€™s a way to set the minimum and maximum dim levels? For 1 set of my lights, between 0%-30%, theyā€™re essentially OFF and theyā€™re equally as bright at 80% as at 100%.

This is exactly what I was looking for but Iā€™m having trouble getting it to work. I have some undercabinet lighting in my kitchen (Sylvania LED strips) and I want to be able to double tap my switch to turn the under cabinet lights on or off without turning the overhead light on or off. Forgive me because Iā€™m not a developer and so this stuff is slightly foreign to me, but on the association groups, I would enter the device ID from the Smartthings IDE list, right? They are zigbee devices, so they show as 185E and 2A38. I just put 185E,2A38 in the association group 2 in my switch settings but it doesnā€™t seem to work. It does show in the events that the double tap registers, but the lights donā€™t change. What am I doing wrong?

Almostā€¦ If the Sylvania was a ZWave device youā€™d be spot on. Direct association is a ZWave native function so you canā€™t direct associate to a zigbee device.

Hope is NOT lost. If you have the device handler installed properly then it exposes two additional ā€˜buttonsā€™. Button 1 is doubletap up and 2 is doubletap down. Just use a smart app to respond to button 1 abd/or button 2 from this deviceā€¦

This is a great idea, in theory at least.
I have the same thing, with several of my lights, where the useful range is somewhat limited.
I donā€™t know whether it would actually save power (since the switch itself likely uses some power when dimming), but at the least it would be a usability improvement (stopping the dim before the light actually turns off).

Since Iā€™m a little more familiar with device handlers than I was a few months ago when I first saw this (thoā€™ not really familiar with the lighting portion), Iā€™ll see if I can work anything out, but if someone else gets to it before me then thatā€™d be great !

Iā€™m having a weird issue with this DTH (using the latest Aug 3 commit) and turning the light on and off from the app is weird.

In the App, On works fine, but resets the dim level in the app to 33% usually, off takes two taps. The first tap turns the light off, and the second tap then triggers it as ā€œoffā€ in the app. Just using one tap in the app to turn it off results in the lights turning off, but the app thinking theyā€™re still on.

My dimmer is the v5.26 Z-Wave Plus.

Any ideas?

@nuttytree

Iā€™m using version 0.16 of this device handlerā€¦is that the latest version?

The double tap works perfectly even when I tap quickly.

However, Iā€™m having 2 different issues. With GE Jasco dimmers Model 14294-2 (date code 1725), they wonā€™t reliably report the correct status of the light. The light turns off when using the smartthings app, However to get the virtual ā€œonā€ button in smartthings app to turn off, I have to press the ā€œbuttonā€ again.

Also, with GE Jasco dimmer Model 14294-3 (date code 1806), the device handler doesnā€™t appear to work at all.

If I set Group 3 associations using the custom handler and then convert back to the stock dimmer handler, the associations remain and I can double click without having the ā€œonā€ button out of sync problem. I presume this is because the associations are stored in the device itself and are not being overwritten simply by changing back to a handler with fewer features.

Any insights on these issues would be helpful. thanks, John.

Same problem Iā€™m having, post above yours. Curious if something on the ST side changed.

Iā€™m trying to use this DTH with my GE Zwave Plus switch to leverage doubletap which then uses webcore to generate an IFTTT webhook. Everything works perfect using the app itself, but the physical switch isnā€™t working with doubletap.

Do these device handlers work for the ge z-wave plus fan controller switches?
I have them working with my on off switch and dimmer switch but wanted to see if the fan switches are supported.

It seems with this device handler, the status of the light isnā€™t reported correctly when using the app because it refreshes the status while the dimmer is still ramping up or down. I need to press the refresh button manually to update the status. This isnā€™t an issue when physically pressing the switch. Changing the z-wave delay to 10ms has fixed this for me. It does make the light ramp faster but it seems to work fine now. I think I actually prefer the shorter ramp time.

So I just installed this DTH to try and eliminate guests of mine who accidentally press and hold up/down to turn on a light and unintentionally end up dimming instead.

I used the following values:

z-wave dim step: 99
z-wave dim delay: 10
manual dim step: 99
manual dim delay: 1
all on/off dim step: 99
all on/off dim delay: 1

Pressing and holding UP successfully ramps this up to 99% (on). When pressing and holding down, it dims to 1%. Is it possible to make this dim to 0/off when pressing and holding down?

Also, when in this 1% dimmed state, I am noticing that when I tap to turn off, it turns off successfully, but then tapping UP doesnā€™t turn the light back on. I can hear the lights ā€œbuzzā€, and the ST app states itā€™s back on to 1%, but the lights do not physically turn back on.

Thanks in advance,

1 Like

Would anyone mind explaining to me if it is possible to make it so that this handler ONLY turns on/off via manual touch, but allows me to dim using an interface or voice control?

Thank you,

So, I have this DTH installed for one of my 14294 dimmers and itā€™s working great for button#1 and 2 using the Inovelli ABS SmartApp. I have nothing in Group 2 or 3 for this DTH and Iā€™m using parms of 1 step and 3 delay for all 3 sets.

Just an FYI. GOOGLE Inovelli ABS and get the free code. Itā€™s a easy solution to many issues Iā€™m reading here.

Question on this dimmer behavior.

When controlling other devices by association, it sends commands to the controlled devices while I am holding the button, which is great.

But status to the hub is only sent after the button is let go.

Is this correct?

Can the light send the dim values as it is held down to the hub?

Oddly enough, I have some Add-On switches that work with double tap and others that donā€™t. I really have no clue the rhyme or reason. I do know that the ones that DONā€™T work with the double click function are SO quick to respond to the button press. They actually turn on the light FASTER than the primary switch itself. Any ideas? Could it be a different model? Could it be I somehow wired them differently?

Perhaps the switches are on different firmware version?

So apparently to USE DOUBLE TAP - the add-on switches will only work with the main switch being a dimmer.