[OBSOLETE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch With Double-Tap

I figured out how to add this as a device type handler, but nothing seems to be different in my mobile app or if I try to edit my devices in IDE.

Once I get to this point, how do I go about using it?

Thanks!

Thank you @nuttytree for the DTH! I figured out how to get my switches to use this (had to remove them from my system and add them back after I had your DTH installed).

I’m having an issue with on/off functionality and wondered if anyone else is seeing it? Whenever I turn a switch off, the first ‘off’ command results in a lower brightness. The second ‘off’ command turns the switch off.

I see something similar going the other way… the first ‘on’ sets the switch somewhere between 0 and its last level setting, and the second ‘on’ makes it brighter.

Is anyone else seeing this or knows how to correct the behavior in settings? My wife is about to kill me for getting rid of the “dumb” switches that just turned the lights on or off. :slight_smile:

Command sequence, all from SmartThings APP:
Level set to 99%
Touch switch to toggle off
Touch switch to toggle off

Then, without changing the dimmer level, I “toggled” the switch through the SmartThings APP 3 more times. Result was ‘on’ for low brightness, ‘on’ for brighter setting (neither matching the 99% or the last level setting shown above), and on the 3rd tap it turned off:

I did the multiplication * 1000 and things started to seem better but the app was still getting stuck on ‘ON’ when I’d turned the light off. I set my delays on the dimmer from the default 3 (30ms) to 1 and now my lights turn on and off much more quickly (wife will be happy) but I still has the issue.

So I added 500 milliseconds to the ‘off’ delay and it seems to be working great now.
512: def delay = (device.currentValue(“zwaveSteps”) * device.currentValue(“zwaveDelay”)).longValue() * 1000 + 500

Thanks @csmikle! I’ll have to play with that a bit to see if I can figure anything out. I just looked at the ST logs and this is what it’s doing when I press the tile in the ST APP to toggle the light on and off. 3 presses, so it should be on/off/on. Instead I get 35% / 70% / off:

For the life of me I can’t figure out where it’s getting the payload values from. 23/46/00 in order. I would expect the first payload to be FF based on this section of the code:

simulator {
status “on”: “command: 2003, payload: FF”
status “off”: “command: 2003, payload: 00”
status “09%”: “command: 2003, payload: 09”
status “10%”: “command: 2003, payload: 0A”
status “33%”: “command: 2003, payload: 21”
status “66%”: “command: 2003, payload: 42”
status “99%”: “command: 2003, payload: 63”

// reply messages
	reply "2001FF,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: FF"
	reply "200100,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: 00"
	reply "200119,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: 19"
	reply "200132,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: 32"
	reply "20014B,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: 4B"
	reply "200163,delay 5000,2602": "command: 2603, payload: 63"
}

Made some progress towards a usable solution with those edits (and now understand the log I posted above is actually the response, not the command to the switch).

Thanks again!!

Has anybody has success in getting an add-on switch to support double-tap? It seems they’ve had success with the decora add-on switches. I have the toggle switches and I’m not having any luck. Seems like these would be very similar to the add-on switches in the other thread, just a different ‘face’.

Ok then, guess I came to this thread after all the interest died! lol

Lol. That you did! No idea about add on though. Sorry

Hi, I’m new to SmartThings (but a software engineer, so expect I’ll ramp up quickly).
I came across this thread since I’m wanting to use double-tap functionality on the GE dimmer switches, and couldn’t figure out how to do so. I’ve installed this device handler for one of my switches (great work by the way), but can currently only see how to use the double-tap on the ON button, and not double-tap on the OFF button.

I’m trying to use the device handler with the “Smart Lighting” SmartApp, and want a double-tap ON to set the brightness to 100%, and a double-tap OFF to turn off other lights in the area.

The issue is that I only see one “button” for the dimmer switch, which is triggered when I double-tap ON on the paddle (and I can use that to set the brightness to 100% just fine). I just can’t see a way to use the double-tap OFF.

Any help would be appreciated

I can confirm that the double-tap up works on the add-on/remote switch, just like on the main switch. It’s the same “button”

It seems that my issue with only seeing a single “button” for double-press, and no button for double-OFF, might be an issue with the “Smart Lighting” smartapp, but I’m not sure what to do about it. Any ideas ?

Update: Looking on the SmartThings API website under Home->SmartApps->SmartLighting I can see that both of my ‘apps’ (the one that I want to be triggered on double-ON, and the one that I want to be triggered on double-OFF) have Button ID 1 (which explains the issue), but I can’t find any way to change this)

Hi Lee,

I don’t know about SmartLighting, but inside webCoRE double-tap direction is indicated by button number. Button 1 is double-tap UP and button 2 is double-tap DOWN.

Since webCoRE is using the same DTH in this thread, I’d expect Smart Lighting to be the same.

1 Like

Yeah, I just can’t see any way to select or change the button number within SmartLighting. I’m not familiar with webCoRE. Any recommendations on where to read up on it ? Could consider it as an alternative, if I can’t get SmartLighting to work.
Thanks

webCoRE gives you infinite options for customizing your SmartThings devices. As a SW programmer, you’ll be right at home with it. Here’s the Wiki for completing the installation… it’s detailed enough for this HW guy to get it right the first time. :slight_smile:

There’s also a dedicated forum of enthusiasts… you won’t lose much time in getting questions answered here!

Looks good. I already got it setup to do what I wanted. (a fairly simple setup, of double-press of OFF turns off 3 switches, including the one pressed).
The only downside is that it doesn’t support running locally (which SmartLighting will), so that automation won’t work in the case of an internet outtage, but at least the basic switch operation will still work

You can also accomplish that by using Group 3 in your smart things app. That will run locally and with zero delay.

I can’t get the same functionality to work from the add-on switch though. If you do, I’d love to hear how.

I know you put the IDs of the other devices in those lists, but how do you specify how the respond to that input ?
e.g.: How do I tell those other switches to turn off when they receive the double-press OFF signal from the source switch ?
(I’d also need to get this to work with the add-on switch, which normally seems to work just like you used the main switch, including with webCoRE, but I’d still be interested in trying it out for some other use-cases)

Any switches you list in that group will automatically receive double tap (up and down) commands from the switch you’re editing. There’s no specifying beyond that by using groups. It’s fast and local though… but so far a deal breaker for me since I can’t get the add-on switches to support groups or double tap commands.

Ok, so you then have to program the action for each light to do on double-tap.
TBH, so long as the main switch functionality works ok, I’m not bothered about the more complex actions working if internet is down, tho’ it would be better if the SmartThings Hub could store the behavior internally, rather than relying on an internet connection

Strangely I found that while the add-on switch works with double-press if connected to the z-wave plus dimmer, it doesn’t work when connected to the z-wave plus switch.
At least I’m assuming that’s the difference.
The dimmer with the add-on switch only has a single add-on switch (and that works), whereas the on/off switch has 3 add-on switches (it’s the upstairs/loft light switch) and that doesn’t work.
The other difference is that the dimmer switches were automatically set to use the DTH in this thread, whereas the on/off switches were set to use some default device handler, and I had to re-add them manually to use the DH in the other thread