[OBSOLETE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch With Double-Tap

Any switches you list in that group will automatically receive double tap (up and down) commands from the switch you’re editing. There’s no specifying beyond that by using groups. It’s fast and local though… but so far a deal breaker for me since I can’t get the add-on switches to support groups or double tap commands.

Ok, so you then have to program the action for each light to do on double-tap.
TBH, so long as the main switch functionality works ok, I’m not bothered about the more complex actions working if internet is down, tho’ it would be better if the SmartThings Hub could store the behavior internally, rather than relying on an internet connection

Strangely I found that while the add-on switch works with double-press if connected to the z-wave plus dimmer, it doesn’t work when connected to the z-wave plus switch.
At least I’m assuming that’s the difference.
The dimmer with the add-on switch only has a single add-on switch (and that works), whereas the on/off switch has 3 add-on switches (it’s the upstairs/loft light switch) and that doesn’t work.
The other difference is that the dimmer switches were automatically set to use the DTH in this thread, whereas the on/off switches were set to use some default device handler, and I had to re-add them manually to use the DH in the other thread

Hi, just started using this device handler and love the features with one exception. My dimmer switches turn on and report as such perfectly, when turning off, the lights fade to off but ST gets hung on the status of “Turning Off” and seems to eventually time out, resulting in reporting the dimmers as “On”, when they had actually turned off. If I open the device options and hit the refresh button, the status does then correctly update.

I didn’t see this issue when using the generic device handler.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

That’s interesting - I have my add-on switch attached to a z-wave plug dimmer and I can’t get it work. Did you do anything to pair the add-on switches to the main switch or the network? I just hooked up the wires - maybe there’s activation/setup steps I missed? All my dimmers us the DTH in this thread, too.

I’d be so happy if I could get this to work… been driving me crazy. Well, actually I’m in Saudi Arabia right now so it’s not bothering me so much… but when I get home it will again!

I fixed that with some help from this thread. In the DTH code, look for the “+1000” for calculating delays and change it to " * 1000". I had a functions that still resulted in bad updates, so I threw an extra “+ 500” beyond the * 1000 and it smoothed things out. Takes a while for status to update in ST, but when it does, it’s accurate now.

Thank you!

Weird thing I’ve noticed is that the DTH for the On/Off switch has both of the double-tap “buttons” show-up in ‘SmartLighting’, but the Dimmer doesn’t show any option to select which button (as if it thinks it only has one button).

I’m not sure if this is a problem with ‘SmartLighting’ or with this DTH. (seems odd that it would be a ‘SmartLighting’ issue, if it handles both buttons for the On/Off switch ok)

I’m not really clear how the DTH reports the number of buttons, since it doesn’t seem explicit in the DTH code.

Any insight appreciated :slight_smile:

What’s it show in the IDE? I have 6 of them in use and in the ST IDE all of mine show that they have 2 buttons.

I did have to remove and re-add a couple of them a time or two before they actually showed up that way though. Although I did increase the delay values in the DTH (as described above) and that has seemed to remedy the problem considerably. I don’t use SmartLighting for the double-tap features though, I’m using webCoRE for most of my automations.

Great DTH @nuttytree

Just wanted to mention it here for those having issues adding the 1000-Watt dimmer (14299) that the dimmer would not respond to sent commands until I altered the version number on line 72 from “5.19” to “5.22” to match the version that showed on my device in the IDE when it was added using the default DTH.

It is indeed a great DTH. :slight_smile:

Did anyone else have to add the double-tap virtual buttons in webCore Settings in the Buttons section before seeing them in webCore?

I could have sworn that last night after just changing to this DTH via my IDE, that I saw the buttons available in webCore when choosing this switch for an If statement condition.

This AM, the buttons weren’t showing up in webCore (just the normal Switch, Status, and Indicator options). I reconfirmed in the IDE that this DTH was still selected, and in the IDE status it said “NumberOfButtons: 2.”

So I went into webCore settings and added the switch to the Button section of webCore Settings, and now the Button option shows up again in webCore when I select the switch. Anyone else using this DTH and webCore see similar?

I have several of these all using webCoRE pistons. I’ve never had to do anything to get buttons to be recognized by WC. I have, on occasion, had difficult getting the switches to be recognized properly by ST. However, I’ve largely resolved that by making the changes that are reported in this thread.

1 Like

Thanks.

It’s working perfectly for me now so I’m good, but I may play around w/webCore settings some time later to confirm whether adding them to the Buttons section was indeed the key step for me.

I didn’t realize until very recently that the Plus versions of these switches had the double-tap option. Wish I’d known, I would have put in all Plus switch versions rather than saving a few bucks by getting the regular version.

1 Like

Heheh - soooo then your conversation goes…

“Self, do I really want to replace that switch, again?”
“Yes, self, you do - just think of all the cool things you can do with that doubletap!”
"But opening the box up one more time - do you remember how hard it was to stuff those 6 wire nuts back in there?
“Chicken…”

Clicks on Amazon…

Damn…you must have been talking to my self. :smiley:

Re: opening a switch box again…Of course the switch that would be the absolutely perfect switch to change out to a Plus switch (we use it manually most of the time, and it’s near other lights that would be great to connect for on/off via double tap) is the absolutely worst PITA box I have in the entire house!

It took me forever to get that switch box closed up again after putting in the switch the first time, including dealing w/a load wire that pulled out at some point when I was closing things up, requiring me to take everything back apart, reconnect it, and reassemble.

But…dammit, my finger keeps creeping towards that “buy” button.

1 Like

Looking for some help, let me know if this is the wrong spot for the question.

Looking to use a dimmer (model 3038 ver 5.26) by the entry to turn off all the lights in the house. I created a virtual switch and then used the Smart Lighting app automation to turn off all lights when the virtual switch is turned off. I then took the virtual switch network ID (VS001) and put it in the association group 3 of the dimmer by the entry.

Double tap on the physical switch or in the DH doesn’t do anything. When I turn off the virtual switch in the app the other lights do respond as expected.

Any ideas?

Ok so a couple of things here. 3038… I assume you are talking about a 14xxx series device that supports the double tap.

That said you can’t use association groups for this application. Z-Wave association groups are only able to communicate with other Z-Wave devices. They’re direct messages that bypass the hub. That means the target device MUST be a Z-Wave device as well. Synthetic devices aren’t true zwave devices and won’t respond to association group commands.

All is not lost, however. Instead use something like the Advanced button controller community smartapp and have it respond to the switch’s button 1 or button 2 to trigger the same scene or routine your SmartLighting trigger is running.

The Smart Lighting app supports the buttons on these switches all on its own. There’s not even any need for a virtual switch. Just create an automation to turn off all the lights and use “button” for the trigger and it will allow you to pick Button 1 or 2 on any of the GE switches that are available.

1 Like

…or what Mike says. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both!

I’ve got it running now with your help.

1 Like