BETA call for superState scene app (all better now!)

I know right, yet another scene app, should have just named it YASA.

Anyway, bit of a twist to this one.

–One app to manage multiple device groups with multiple scenes for each device group.
–Virtual switches are created for each scene, these are used to turn on and off the scene
–Within each device group, the scene activation switches manage each other, meaning activating a given scene turns off a previously turned on scene. So only one scene within a given group can be on at a given time.
–Scene snapshots are taken via each scenes virtual device tile.
–Supports switches, dimmers and color devices (tested with hues and Fibaros).
–Supports adding and removing devices within the device groups after they have been created.
–Virtual switch indication (yellow warning) when a given scene isn’t completely configured, such as a new device was added and the scene wasn’t re-snapped, or no devices are selected for the scenes device group.
–The created virtual switches are initially named [device group name] - [scene name]
–Scene switches support pictures or icons in the preferences section.

requires this smart app:
https://github.com/MikeMaxwell/smartthings/blob/master/superStateApp.groovy
and this device:
https://github.com/MikeMaxwell/smartthings/blob/master/superStateSwitch.groovy
The device name needs to remain the same, else the smart app won’t be able to create the child devices.

Install and configuration:
Publish smart app for you in the IDE
Publish the device for you in the IDE
Go to My Apps in the app, install the app, create one device group and select some devices before clicking done.
Re open superstate, select add scene(s), then done when finished.

For each scene
Open the virtual device
Set the desired state for each device
Click snap, the tile will go on then off when the snap is complete…

Reopen the app to add/modify the devices in a group, to add additional groups and to add scenes to existing groups.

Future: assuming interest…
–state restore, ie scene off, restores device settings to what they were when the scene was turned on and or device setting changes made while the scene was active.

7 Likes

Any quick examples to help explain what this does?

sure it captures and replays settings for a group of devices, allowing you to set the saved state of selected devices and control them with one virtual switch.

Take my living room as an example.
Say when I watch TV I want the kitchen lights off, and the hues to be purple.
Those device states become a scene, that’s recalled (activated) by the virtual switch.
So activating the TV-Purple switch puts the lights in tv-purple mode.

Say I want another scene for the same devices, this one has the kitchen dimmer at 20%, and half the hues are yellow, and half are green, call it thanksgiving, or whatever.
When I activate the thanksgiving switch it sets the devices to thanksgiving mode.

Does that make a little more sense?

Definatly. Sounds awesome, I just don’t have enough devices to really have a case for it. Want to do some lights soon. Good luck!

This is awesome @Mike_Maxwell!!

I’m going to give this a shot today! Cool thing is you should be able to control the virtual switches with motion/lux etc…

One question… what happens when the “TV-Purple” switch turns off? Does it return to the previous state or turn off all the lights?

I get this error in the logs when I attempt to add a scene:

9c7b3913-1d3b-4b9a-a457-69217cef4ffe 11:31:34 AM: error physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘superState switch’ in namespace ‘mmaxwell’ not found. @ line 260
9c7b3913-1d3b-4b9a-a457-69217cef4ffe 11:31:34 AM: trace superState is attempting to unsubscribe from all events

Did you isntall the device type and publish it?

currently when the scene is turned off, all the devices for that group are turned off.
The restore previous state option has been commented out, and wasn’t fully implemented.
I’m still puzzling through the various ways the scenes can be modified and how/when to account for them when doing the state restore.
Due to the polling/status update issues with the hues, the current hue settings weren’t always being reflected in ST, so state restoring the hues didn’t work correctly.
For those reasons I cut that optional feature out for the moment so as to get the basic functions solid.

This is exactly what I want :smile:

Yes, this does require that the superstate switch be published in my device types.

Yes, that was the point of adding the virtual switches, this allows the scene triggers to be whatever existing apps you have in production.

Not quite sure if LUX/Motion is implemented yet? I can’t seem to find these settings and that’s what I need to remove all the Smart Nighlight variants I have. Will this app accomplish this now or in the future?

It won’t ever. It is jsut a better way to implement your scenes during those conditions.

EDIT: Probably shouldn’t say “won’t ever” but very low. HAHA

The idea with this app is that each virtual switch represents one scene for the devices in its device group.
You then turn on/off these “scene switches” with the existing apps you already have.
This offers the user the most options to leverage their existing stock and custom smartapps.

So if as an example you have a hello home action that turns on 5 dimmers, you’ll notice that the dimmer level option in that smart app then applies to all the dimmers.
This is fine if that’s want you want.
If it isn’t then your pretty much sol.
Using this app you could have a device group with those same 5 dimmers, all at different levels, then in your hello home action, you would remove those 5 dimmers, and replace them with the one scene switch you configured.
When your hello home widget kicks off and turns on that switch, all 5 dimmers would then get set to the values you snapped for that scene.

1 Like

My bad. I blew right by the device type code.

What states does it save? I tried it with my Fibaro LED controller and it didn’t seem to save color, etc.

I have not tested with Fibaros, by buddy has borrowed mine…
And I won’t be able to check the Fibaro’s out until tomorrow evening.

The following attributes are saved:
‘hue’, ‘saturation’, ‘color’, ‘switch’, ‘level’
‘Color’ is not restored.
So the hues are set using hue, saturation and level.

I don’t currently know how the colors are set in the Fibaro controller, but obviously they don’t use hue/sat and level!

UPDATE: Fibaros are now supported.

The red channel state seems to be saved correctly for Fibaro RGBW controller but none of the others. The activity feed crashes, but this may be 1.7.1 Android update.

I’ll have a Figaro to dink with tomorrow…

Just my freaking luck, ether todays android update or the platform update have completely broken this app.

If anyone out there with an IPhone can confirm if they can at least install this app, it would be appreciated.

Since both a platform update and an app update were released today, I don’t know which one did the deed…

Is there a way to reset the lights back to their previous color/dimming level after you turn off a scene, or just apply a default so that the lights in the device group don’t turn off when the scene turns off?

Thanks in advance! I’ve been looking for an easy to use smartApp like this for a while now!

1 Like