[OBSOLETE] Advanced Button Controller (ABC)

Just installed the ABC Manager and child app and, though it seems to work great after playing with it a little, have a few questions:

1. tapping on the “Version Info, User’s Guide” button gets me to “something’s wrong” and nothing else happens.
  2. I am trying to use my Lutron Pico’s and the dimming feature seems to work differently from I was expecting. Is it possible to dim up and down and see the change while you are pressing the button on the remote? It only changes the dim level when the button is released.
  3. when you dim to far the lights suddenly turn full on again and can’t be dimmed with the remote. Is there any way to stop that from happening?

Oops…I forgot to add a method for about(). I updated and tested on my end. Please test and let me know.

The discussion on how the picos “ramp up/down” should happen on the Lutron Caseta Service Manager smartApp thread. I know @njschwartz has been making quite a few changes and you may need to edit part of the script to make it work the way you need. I no longer use my picos for lights because of the delays but there are quite a few people that can assist over there.

@stephack The about works now. What remotes are you using for your lights, the delays are pretty extensive with the pico. But they were the same with the Iris buttons and those worked only every 3rd time…

I don’t use any remotes to control my lights anymore (not through smartThings anyway). Any picos I use for lighting, connect directly though the lutron hub and don’t use the ST integration. My left over picos are used to control my Sonos speakers and ceiling fans (through the ST integration).

Not sure what setup you’re using with Picos, but I’ve just posted an all in one step by step guide for LutronPro Caséta v1.0 and Advanced Button Controller is now available here

The results are very fast and smooth response, even when controlling Philips Hue lighting through the Lutron SmartBridge, to a Node.js server, to SmartThings and then to the Hue Bridge. I’m amazed at the speed. Delay is roughly 0.5 seconds!

Please let me know if there are errors and/or omissions in the post.

Is there any way to set a button to control a scene with this? Or does this app predate that feature in smartthings and therefore not support it?

ST does not allow access to run Scenes via smartApps yet. You can tie a Scene to a Routine and execute the routine via this app. I have a feeling that access to the scenes will only be available via the new Samsung API that is in development.

Small update committed to github. See Initial post for details.

New to the game and I have this switch and have the two codeine the DH & My Smartapps. But when I go into the ST my apps it never connects to the ABC for new button device mapping. Any idea how to fix this?

You should only need to copy code into the smartApp section not the DH (device handler).

Also are you using the new parent/child smartApp (2 parts) as described in the original post. If you are using the old hybrid smartApp you will have the issue you are describing.

Working great, thanks!

I have some feature requests:

-allow any increment %

-an option to increment by percent, when it goes over 100 turn off. I’d like to use one minimote button, multiple short presses to do: off, 21, 42, 63, 84, 100, off, 21, …

-an option to have 4 custom presets that could be on one button kind of like previous example. This would help me control my bedroom light (or fan?) for specific “modes”: off, nightlight, dim, bright. So presses: off, 3, 20, 100, off …

Thanks for your quick response!
So I guess my next question is… How do I get the correct code. I tried to delete the code I put in and published but it will not let me remove it. It seems I get a red warning saying that this is being used else where?

Second question is… Can I grab these codes straight from the Inovelli site?

Thanks again!
S. Rey

Unfortunately, I am not associated with Inovelli. I believe they have the old version of the ABC app on their website (changes in the IOS app caused the problem you are seeing). There is a workaround posted earlier in this thread but I have updated to the ST recommended format. @Eric_Inovelli can provide guidance with what he recommends for use with Inovelli devices.

You may be getting errors because you still have Button Mapping configured using the app. Open the app on your mobile device and then open each mapping you have created. At the bottom there should be a red REMOVE button. Once all mapping are removed, you can remove the entire smartapp (again with the red REMOVE button). At this point you should be able to remove the code from IDE without generating any errors.

Thanks for help on this. I will try removing it once I get home tonight. I will also wait to see what work around @Eric_Inovelli has to say before I apply it once again.

Much appreciated!
S. Rey

Hey @Chefsrey7 – we have both the Parent/Child app on the Inovelli site, but as @stephack pointed out, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with the changes (I’m trying to figure out a way to have it automatically update on our site as we do with our Device Handlers, but haven’t gotten there yet).

Anyway, both the Parent/Child app is located here: www.inovelli.com/smartthings-device-handlers/#ABC

However, please confirm they match if you run into issues. I’ll double check tonight as well to make sure I have the latest.

Sorry for any confusion!

@Eric_Inovelli,

Thanks I will give it a go tonight and let you know how things worked out!

Thanks again!
S.Rey

Please also post screenshots of any future errors. It goes a long way with helping us determine your exact issue.

@Eric_Inovelli

I went ahead and deleted the current ABC I originally had per stephack. It seems to be trying to connect but never does? I have included a screen shot of what it looks like. Save/back do nothing I have to go back to recent pages a swipe it away inorder for it to stop.

@Chefsrey7 when you say you removed the smartApp…did you also remove it from IDE…and did you install the 2 part version that is listed in the first post? We would need details to properly assist.

The issue you are describing is a known issue with the old version of this app.

I’m get getting confused with which codes to use. Can you attach the codes I need, starting with the first and then so on. I feel like I’m using the same codes over and over because I can’t seem to tell the difference.

I am sorry if I have turned something so simple into a headache for you all.

Thanks again
Steve