Best Way to Integrate W7 Computer

I have a Windows 7 Computer that spends most of its time in hibernation mode and I’d like to be able to add it as a device-type. I have EventGhost installed running the Webserver plugin which I think I can send HttpGet commands to it to send the computer into hibernation, restart, etc.

My question is, I’d like to have a tile that shows if the computer is on and off. What is the best way to accomplish this?

II assume you just want a tile that reflects the status of the machine?

Ok, Not sure exactly… but first thought that comes to mind (Hoping that others chime in here as well).

Why not do a Device-handler that is nothing more than a pinger. (suggest looking at the IP camera;s… Thinking DLINK-530 if my memory serves me correctly (oh god, I am getting sol old now) (SMILE))
If you can connect, then you are online and working,
If not, you do what you want to do.

Once again, not sure. I am realizing as I delve into groovy that I really need to catch up with the current programming standards myself. So am learning about groovy and how to code with it.

Could you create a Virtual Tile… then run a smartapp that pings the computer every 5-10 minutes and turns on/off the tile according to the response? That might be a little “hacky” vs. creating a device type, but it might also be easier. I haven’t messed with device types much so I dunno how much more complex it is or isn’t to vs. SmartApp.

I’d get the power status via a smart outlet. Just measure the on watts vs sleep watts to determine if its on / off / sleeping

To wake the computer, you will need to be able to send a WOL packet, with the new socket commands, its possible, but not likely that this packet can be sent to the computer to wake it up.

To shut it down / sleep it, you need to set the power permissions or use some sort of IP based app on the computer to receive a command to shut down / sleep. But you have this already…

Bah, I feel like this should be a simple ping that I can perform in the device type but it’s turning out to be harder than it should be.

[quote=“pstuart, post:4, topic:4749”]
To wake the computer, you will need to be able to send a WOL packet,
with the new socket commands, its possible, but not likely that this
packet can be sent to the computer to wake it up.[/quote]
I might be using my Raspberry Pi to send the magic packet. Do you happen to have a recommendation on how to communicate from ST to the RPi? A simple REST setup perhaps or some type of SSH implementation? Eventually I’d like to monitor the temperature readings of my RPi with ST.

I’m accomplishing this with EventGhost’s Webserver plugin.

I guess I can do this, but it just seems easier to do it via a device type.

I was looking at using GET commands but I need to be able to do it on my LAN and I was having trouble with the HubAction command was giving me problems in my device type.

I’ll keep you guys updated on what I figure out.

Any luck or updates on this? I have a computer in my office with a zigbee bulb in a lamp that I would love to turn on when its dark/night when it notices the computer is awake vs asleep and not turn on during the day.