Best switched outlet solution

Living in an apartment and looking to expand my switched outlets. Plan to stay here about 2 years. I’m currently using a couple of WeMo devices. I’ll primarily be switching things like our humidifier and some lamps.

Should I continue using these external wall-wart style devices of switch to changing out some of my outlets?
What are the most reliable and cost-effective models currently?

You’ll hear me say this a lot, but there’s rarely one “best” solution for any device class. It all comes down to the specific features that you need for your use own case. :sunglasses:

The following thread has a detailed discussion of the features available for various device classes, including pocket sockets. You might find it interesting:

I would stay with the Wemos. You can take them with you when you move. Using myself as an example, I’m in a house, but we but don’t plan on this house being our final house. Therefore, I use smart light bulbs instead of smart switches in the walls. I don’t to spend all that money on smart switches and then move out. I’m not gonna rip all my smart switches out of the walls and take them with me.

It’s pretty easy to switch them out, I would put them in and either sell them with the house as an added feature(so I could buy new hardware) or take them with. . .

IMO the in wall ones look So much better.

Also I would personally switch from the wemo devices as I believe they are a cloud to cloud connection. If you stay with pocket sockets use the IRIS, ST, or Aeon plugs IMO

Do you have a suggestion on which wall devices to use? I’m thinking Zigbee since I’m already using the ST devices in that room.

Both Z wave and Zigbee have pros and cons. The biggest issue people usually run into with Zigbee is that wifi can interfere with it. But if your other Zigbee devices are working fine, then it sounds like that’s not an issue at your house. :sunglasses: It’s more often when people have boosted Wi-Fi with multiple boosters overlapping.

That have attributed to my GE Link bulbs dropping off. At this forum’s suggestion, I’ve changed my WiFi channel to a lower channel that is fairly distant from the Hub channel. (And also fairly clear in my building)

1 Like

The other issue then is range. In a typical US home, you usually get 40 feet from a zigbee device and about 60 from a zwave plus device.

So if you decide to put one repeater in every room, that won’t make any difference. But if you’re trying to save some money by using the minimum number of devices, you’ll probably need fewer Z wave plus. Always with the understanding that zigbee repeats only for Zigbee and Z wave repeats only for zwave.

So of course it also depends on what your other devices are going to be. If you’re going to rely on zigbee sensors, then you want Zigbee repeaters. :sunglasses:

I’m in a small apt with a ST device approximately every 20’ or less so the zigbee network should be pretty strong. That may change in the future, but not anytime soon.

1 Like

Just remember that battery-operated devices don’t repeat. Only mains-powered. That’s true for both Zigbee and Z wave.

1 Like

Then I assume my GE Link bulbs count for that…correct?

Yes, if they are paired directly to the SmartThings hub, no if they are connected through a hue bridge.

However, multiple community members have reported that zigbee lightbulbs, regardless of brand, seem to miss some messages from time to time that they are supposed to be repeating. It’s not clear why, it may be a timing issue with that device class. All of which means a ZHA bulb connected directly to the smartthings hub will likely help strengthen your mesh but should not be relied on as the only ZHA repeater in a zone.