Best practices for Emergency

There is a how to article in the forum on planning for power outages. Some of it is out of date because more stuff now runs locally, but it might give you some more things to think about.

How to: Planning for Outages

For example, if you are using the system to control lights, do you have a manual alternative so that if the system is down, you can still turn lights on and off? Or even just if a different individual device or motion sensor stops working?

At our house because voice is so important to me (I’m quadriparetic) we have a pathway from my bedroom to the front door of lights that can be voice controlled locally from Alexa. No cloud required. These are all Zigbee switches connected directly to an echo.

One of the best places to use either zwave direct association or Zigbee binding, for example, is when you have stairs with a light switch at both the top and the bottom, and you want the accessory switch to control the master, even if the cloud is unavailable, or if the hub itself dies. (Lutron can also do this) True, you still need power for those, but at least you don’t need the cloud.

Another good use for these kinds of options is having the ability to turn a siren off if the app isn’t working.

1 Like