Best On-Wall Multi Button Controller for ST?

For a 4 Button you have this one with community created device type.

If you want more buttons here is a 7 button, also community created device type.

1 Like

And here’s another topic that discusses the options with some pictures:

Where might I find a wall-mount cradle for remotes? It would be nice to store the remote in this cradle, and be able to remove it when I’d like it to be portable. The other issue is for it to be good-looking too for your house, yet simple constructed. I envision a simple white plastic housing where I can slide it in/out from the top. Thanks.

@Mike_Maxwell’s shots today! I would have voted it to be the best looking and am sure most functional! I am so dreaming jealous!

@smart Pardon my ignorance but what are you referring to? :confused:

Legrande of Australia has the adorne line of zigbee devices. Very modern looking. Unfortunately, they use a proprietary zigbee which is not compatible with smartthings or any other manufacturer. However, @Mike_Maxwell has developed a method for reusing The adorne hardware as a momentary switch when combined with a Z wave relay like that from aeotec.

Note that this is quite an expensive switch by the time you’re done, but aesthetically very appealing. One of Mike’s examples includes a four gang switch. I believe that’s what @smart was referring to.

I should point out that the switches, are the normal adorne toggle paddles, at about $5 US each, which I modified to be momentary (though that modification is not required to work with the aeon modules)
@JDRoberts is correct, this is not the least expensive way to go. But we were on about bling no?

1 Like

That is sweet, thanks for the info guys…

the Leviton VRCS4 can control 4 buttons plus dimmer each scene, I use the scene controller with my speakers,
button 1 , play/ stop , stop all, dimmers: next track, previous track, and stop all.
button 2 mute/Unmute, mute all, dimmers: vol up ,vol down
button 3 allow message/ do not disturb / etc, allow messages, dimmers: next container,previous container
button 4 lights on/lights off, all lights off, dimmer up, down
dimmers without selection play message ‘time to eat’ in all speakers, play message 'time to sleep’
You have many options
with this scene controller you can have 18 different states

@JDRoberts, so you were able to fit the Aeon micro switches inside the electrical boxes with the Legrand switches? I was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn’t sure if the micro switch would fit as the Legrand switches are fairly large.

@Mike_Maxwell is the one who’s done this, not me. :sunglasses:

Oops, so @Mike_Maxwell, you were able to fit the Aeon micro switches inside the electrical boxes with the Legrand switches? I was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn’t sure if the micro switch would fit as the Legrand switches are fairly large.

Yes, no issues with the normal 3" deep electrical boxes.
Most of them ended up in the box sideways, on the side with out the romex entry points.
I’ve got 25 of these in my house behind the Legrand Adorne paddles.

What aeon micro did you use with momentary switches? I have momentary switches and would love to use them!!!

All the aeon micro products (including dimmers) work with both momentary and standard toggles.

Thanks!! Did you use any custom device type or just the official?

I use one I wrote, the official one doesn’t report device state changes as fast as the device is capable of, and mine also includes the ability to change the attached switch type in the preferences.

Awesome!! Need to increase WAF and the momentary switches are a plus

Thanks!!

@Mike_Maxwell Have you tried any of the larger Legrand switches like the wave switch? You didn’t have to make the switches momentary to work with the micro controller right?

All the other Adorne switches (other than the paddles) are electronic and have their own built in relays or dimmer controls, it may be possible to use one of those switches to control the aeon micro, but not worth the expense and effort in my opinion.
Technically you can use a normal toggle with both the aeon switch and dimmer, but running an aeon dimmer from a toggle isn’t going to get you any points with the family…
That’s why I took the paddles and hacked them into momentary, as this works well with the dimmer and switch in single and three way setups.
It takes longer to get the Adorne device out of it’s packaging than it does to hack the momentary function.
The toggles also take an accessory light BTW that will light up that little dot on the switch.