Best in-wall light switches?

I ended up here looking for current recommendations for switches as well. I just finished replacing a GE ZW4005. It just went poof & disappeared out of SmartThings. As it was out in my shop a ways away re-adding is pretty iffy. I grabbed a used one out of a box (I vaguely recall pulling it because it has some issues a while back) paired it at my desk, then installed it. The bad one that started things seems to be working fine at my desk when I re-paired it. So ya, had some weird issues with GE as well that i’ve never had with my Levitons.

One thing I REALLY like about the GE’s that I didn’t think of when getting my original GE & Leviton switches… The GE’s are push up for on & push down for off. The Levitons are push (down is the only option) to toggle state. It’s surprisingly annoying to have a toggle rather than the traditional on/off paddle style.

Anyone have suggestions for replacing a switch like this with a z-wave switch? I don’t want to convert to two z-wave switches — would prefer to find a single z-wave switch that controls the fan and light.

1 Like

There isn’t any Z wave switch that does that yet, although the Inovelli Company has said they are considering making one.

There is a Hampton Bay zigbee device That works well with smartthings that will do it, but you do have to install the fan controller in the fan canopy as well as put the remote on the wall.

@Eric_Inovelli

1 Like

A big disappointment in the HA arena IMO. I have GE Z-wave switches in my house and one thing I have thought about doing is using a GE Z-wave dimmer to control the light and then using the Double Tap feature to control the fan. This will require a GE Z-wave fan controller to be mounted somewhere between the switch and the fan, but it’s the only reliable way I have thought of so far to get both fan and light control in a single switch. The ST hub does not need to do anything to operate the light, but will have to intercept the double taps and take action (via Webcore) to operate the fan controller). The downside here is I will have to upgrade the fan wiring to 3-conductor as currently I have 2-conductor with a Hampton wired in remote.

1 Like

Curious as to why you find this annoying. I think not having to choose up or down is one fewer thing to decide :slight_smile:

Up & down operates like traditional light switches. Fighting years of training sucks, even worse when you have dumb switches in the house as well to bounce back & forth with. If you hit the wrong switch in a bank of several it’s less likely to cause an issue. If you are turning on an light you can’t see (outside light for example) that is already on, turning it on does nothing h you end up with the light the way you want it. If it’s a toggle rather than on or off command you may end up turning the light you want on off.

This is not correct, I own the Leviton switches/dimmers and they work just as a decora switch/dimmer. Up/down for on/off and have a dimmer rocker next to the switch for brightness. Most people know how a regular dimmer works which is the same way, people may not know to hold down the GE switch to control the dimmer instead of a separate dimmer rocker. This was the main reason I got these, so that people that enter my house can use a familiar type of dimmer without the automation. Although I use motion control for my lighting anyways, so it would not be that big of a deal.

Note that the person you were replying to said my “original” Leviton switches.

The design style they mention, where you always press at the bottom, was Used by Leviton for their previous generation of Z wave switches.

The current generation, the “Decora smart” looks more like a regular rocker switch And you press at the top for on and the bottom for off.

So this is just a case of something which used to be true is no longer true today. :sunglasses:

Ah this makes sense. I have only had the latest ones, didn’t know they changed the design. I wouldn’t have bought the old ones if that was the case.

1 Like

Are these Leviton the best around? I’ve had recommendations for Lutron and Noon in the last 24 hours. Noon seems like a non-starter because I want to use SmartThings and not thru IFTTT. But they do look nice.

Also I’ll be searching for a device type handler for the ecobee Switch+ - I am sure it has been discussed here and I will search fort-wit.

Don’t need one. Ecobee switch+ is live in the marketplace. The Noon switches are indeed very nice, high quality pieces, but no SmartThings integration. I have virtual switches through IFTTT with mine for some basic automations that dont require a speedy response time.

I like Lutron because they are excellent switches and they will work with Alexa or on their own even when smartthings is down. But it just depends on what your own priorities are.

Have you had a chance to look at the device class features FAQ?

From what I understand this integration only allows access to on/off and not the other sensors. Right?

correct…

I use MiHome Smart Switches for my lighting (no neutral wire required) and MiHome Sockets for the power rings in my house. These switches fit in UK standard (deep) pattress boxes which makes swapping them simple.

Switching is by radio control (operating in the 433MHz ISM short-range band using OOK modulation) or manually by pressing the button on the housing. It is compatible with the Amazon Echo for voice and remote activation.

I have only had them in for a couple of months so don’t know how long they will last but so far they are fine.

Since this forum is for those who are using the Samsung SmartThings home automation platform, what are you using to integrate the mihome devices with SmartThings, and are you consistently getting two way status updates? SmartThings doesn’t have a 433mhz radio, so there is no direct integration.

There is no direct integration and that is my problem with many of this new technology the lack of integration.

There are many well designed products out there which cannot be integrated with other things without a lot of head scratching and hard work.

The manufactures do not provide integration but the skilled individuals on groups like this often come up with answers when their interest in something is aroused.

I don’t have the answers, I am stumbling round and round in circles with smartthings unable to control even the smartthings products that came in my hub starter pack, yet I have managed to integrate other “smart” products with relative ease.

I intend to persevere and will get my head round smartthings eventually but until then I am relying on groups like this for ideas and hopefully a few solutions.

Thanks There is no direct integration and that is my problem with many of this new technology the lack of integration.

There are many well designed products out there which cannot be integrated with other things without a lot of head scratching and hard work.

The manufactures do not provide integration but the skilled individuals on groups like this often come up with answers when their interest in something is aroused.

I don’t have the answers, I am stumbling round and round in circles with smartthings unable to control even the smartthings products that came in my hub starter pack, yet I have managed to integrate other “smart” products with relative ease.

I intend to persevere and will get my head round smartthings eventually but until then I am relying on groups like this for ideas and hopefully a few solutions.

Thanks.

While I recognize that Leviton makes a great product, I prefer the GE switch in some circumstances where a LED indicator is of value. The GE switch has an LED that can be configured to be on, off or never on when switched on. I use these with the LED configured to be on when the switched lights are on for a porch light and a basement light. A quick glance at the switch tells me whether the switched lights are on or off.

Conversely, setting the LED to be on when the switch is off is a great switch locator for a dark room.

1 Like

I’m using the Leviton wifi 3-way dimmer switches in my home. I bought wifi because I was a newb and didn’t know what I was doing yet, or i would have bought zwave. Fortunately they still work fine using either the smartthings app or google assistant voice commands. I have access to on/off and brightness through smartthings but if I want other settings I have to use the leviton app. Overall they are great switches, and prefer the design of them over most other manufacturers.