Best Camera Options

Here here!

Truth be said, an HTML pass-through is all I want through SmartThings. It doesn’t even need to involve even my hub. Don’t want their services, just want them to support pass-through…

1 Like

Hey! Did you have any luck with outdoor cameras? Still waiting for my hub to come in, but trying to plan ahead a little. I want to put a couple cameras outside but have them activate from motion sensors strategically placed (that way they aren’t always recording…etc)

Which cameras worked best for you?

@TysonG Im in the same boat with you. Im going on a limb here - I just ordered the D-Link DSC 7010L. It is not listed under the SmartThings compatible cameras. The reason I decided to go with it is because it is more aesthetically pleasing then the supported cameras. It will be powered via POE which will make it easier to run power to it. I did find a “Generic Camera” Device Type code, which in theory should connect to the camera. CAMERA CODE.

Not sure if it will work or not. Will report once I get it in and wired up.

Awesome! Yeah, if you could reply back with your findings that would be great…thanks! :slight_smile:

I can’t say it enough. If you’re spending the money, get proven security cameras :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@TysonG Managed to get the 7010 wired in and linked to my Dashboard. It will move to the front porch over the weekend once I get my ethernet cable ran. Works great so far!

Are there any cams, other than Arlo that are wireless and battery operated? I have some areas without power that I wouldn’t mind covering and prefer not to wire. In fact, since I don’t think my wife would be onboard with many internal cameras almost every area I would cover would be need to be like this.

@Marc_Rohde I believe D-Link and Foscam have some wireless models. I wanted to go that route as well, but the more I read into it, I decided to go wired. Wifi is great, but is very unstable. Powering the cameras can be achieved via PoE (injecting power via Ethernet), so you don’t have to mess with running high voltage lines. Just run an ethernet cable to the camera and its done.

That’s great! Thanks for posting back, I will look into the 7010! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TysonG No Problem. As there is nothing wrong with the 7010 its rather expensive. The Hikvision cameras have gotten pretty good reviews and they have the same user interface as to Dlink at a fraction of the cost. I pulled the trigger on the Dlink because ST had other Dlink compatible cameras so I figured it’ll be easy to make it work. Wish I did more research before spending all that money. Next project will definitely be the Hikvision camera.

The code for “Generic Camera” should work with virtually any IP camera as long as you get the image path and ports correct.

1 Like

I am using a fixed foscam outdoor, been a few years now in winter freezes. Failed once under warranty and foscam replaced with no hassle. Have a 2nd rotating camera indoors, works great, and a 3rd mini… all work fine, not as easy to set up as a smarthings, but don’t have to worry about the hub going out like yesterday…

1 Like

With the Hikvision cameras or the Foscam, what are you guys using for recording? Or do you only use live streaming?

Hikvision has built in recording software, you just need to provide it a destination. I have also used my QNap NAS before, with success.

Right now, I am leaving the processing in Hikvision as it has line detection, etc.

I have to say, I’d never even heard of HikViision before reading this thread. I went and looked and WOW. Nice cameras!! I have had a Synology NAS for years and use to use dlink cameras with it. I dumped them for Nest cams and used those alone for a year. Paying monthly.

Recently I bought the 4x cameras from Arlo. Dumped the Nest cameras. When I read/investigated the Hikvision cameras, I ordered two and got them yesterday. Now using my Synology Surviallence Station again and selling the Arlo cameras as fast as I can to buy more Hikvision cameras.

Thank you for bringing them to my attention. :slight_smile:

Yep. Hikvision are an amazing value!

I have three of these and a turret dome.

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-English-Security/dp/B01DIKF4XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478207059&sr=1-1&keywords=hikvision

The bullets are very small. Perhaps too small. No one notices them. Ha.

The only problem I’ve had is with getting a stream to Smarttiles ST can’t handle the authentication popup. So I just have them setup as stop motion. That’s easier on the cameras anyway. . .

Swanny’s integration with Suerveillance Station is very nice. I’ve been working on improving a couple things with some success.

Has anyone experimented with the super cheap cameras that are out there?

I bought a $20 one but it doesn’t support url snapshots. Oh well. I had wanted to slurp up a snapshot into smartthing based on some motion detector or another. I didn’t want to have to integrate it into Surveilance station.

I’ll find something to do with it.

There are a bunch on aliexpress. A wireless babycam, which isn’t ideal, will be on sale for $17 in a few days.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HY-free-ship-720P-mini-IP-Camare-Baby-monitor-Wi-Fi-P2P-Wireless-Home-Security-IP/32460436595.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000015.7.atyyUB&s=p

Here’s a $21 outdoor bullet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1280-720P-1MP-ONVIF-PoE-Bullet-IP-Camera-Outdoor-Waterproof-P2P-IR-Cut-Filter-Network-Camera/315860_32360090734.html

. . . Probably not worth the frustration though. HIKVisions are only $100.

Darrylb, what are you using for recording video or images with your hikvision. Nothing specific. I was thinking of setting up an ftp to drive but figure there has to be an easier way.

I let the hikvisions recorded to my QNAP directly. QNap has surveillance software built in, but I have not been using it.

Any recommendation’s for a IP POE bullet camera with 100+ degree view and 60+Ft night vision? I was considering the one below, but I read mixed reviews about the reliability and software support from Foscam. Also looking at something that has good smartthings integration.

Foscam FI9900EP