BeaconThings - Beacons and SmartThings

Thanks so much appreciate your time. I’ll get reading now :smiley: I’m sure I’ll find a solution somewhere in here that fits my needs.

1 Like

I just got 2 Rad USB beacons, and I installed BeaconThings - but that app just registers my hub and then goes to a white screen. Nothing else. What am I doing wrong?

TODDL

Hi Todd. You’re not doing anything wrong. BeaconThings is having the same authentication problem that SmartRules is having. SmartThings changed something last week with the authentication process, and now none of our apps can login. We are working with them to identify the problem and find a solution. SmartRules will definitely get priority, but I will also make any necessary changes to BeaconThings.

3 Likes

Just checking in on the progress of updating BeaconThings. I just got a beacon today was way too excited to get it working but of course also ran into the white screen.

Is there any progress to this? When i open the app, i can see the auth screen, but the “white” screen comes up and covers it right away.

Any updates? Seems this is not working anymore? I’m new to beacons and was looking at buying beacons to place in the bedroom as a presence sensor at night to activate nighttime routine. Should I wait for beaconThings to be fixed or are there other solutions?

Hi Brice, is there any plan to get BeaconThings working again? I just got few iBeacon and realized that I can not use them without your app.

There are other ways to use iBeacons with smartthings than with Beaconthings. Some of us were using beacons with smartthings before BeaconThings was written. :wink:

The following was the original method. I honestly don’t know if it still works or not as I haven’t used that one for about a year.

But really any presence detection app that you get that can do a webhook can use the IFTTT maker channel to integrate with SmartThings. A lot of people write their own which has reduced the market for more polished apps that do this and some of the older ones haven’t had updates for a year or so but they still work.

My favorite is still Beecon+ from beacon sandwich, which has a ton of home automation features, but I’m hesitant to recommend it these days since the developer has moved on to other things and you can no longer get any support if you can’t get it working. He just refers people to the website FAQ. But if you do have an iPhone 6 or newer, it should work fine, and I really do like it.

http://www.beaconsandwich.com

Geohopper is being kept up more, but you’ll have to buy two in app purchases to make it work with IFTTT: one to do web hooks and one to use I beacons other than the ones manufactured by Tucanoes.

https://twocanoes.com/products/ios/geohopper/

If you’re a coder, radius networks has a free SDK that may be all you need.

So… if you’re not a coder, I do still think beecon plus is the easiest way to add Ibeacons to IFTTT, but it costs about $10 and if it doesn’t work, you’re going to be stuck because they no longer have active support. You would have to go back through Apple to get a refund.

Tucanoes’ geohopper has more active support, but fewer features.

If you’re a coder, you will probably want to roll your own.

2 Likes

Thanks for the elaborate response, that is very helpful.
I will try to go the Beacon+ or Geohopper route as I am (unfortunately) not a coder.

1 Like

Ok, so SmartRules got updated to squash “The terrible horrible login bug of 2017” in early June. Oby promised us in May that while

“SmartRules will definitely get priority,” …
“I will also make any necessary changes to BeaconThings.”

It’s September. Nothing? ETA? Communication?

Is this project dead? I downloaded the app. When I try to sign into SmartThings I get a white screen and the app goes no further.

I did notice in the app store the last release was a year ago.

Thanks,
Sam

Well if it’s anything like ObyThing (which has had a “Coming Soon!! Big Update in Progress” notice on the website since January 2015), I guess I’m not holding my breath. It would be so much more professional and considerate to just admit they dropped the ball than to make empty promises which never get kept.

The paid SmartRules app got repaired three months ago of the exact same problem.

Sorry folks. I desperately want to get updates out to BeaconThings and ObyThing. Unfortunately it has been a problem of time and resources. I’ll post in the community once one or both are back up and running.

For what it’s worth… I would gladly pay a subscription fee for this app, if that would garuntee timely updates. BeaconThings is super interesting and has major potential…

$1/month? $2/month? I’d be thrilled. Right now, the beacons (that I purchased through the affiliate link on the BeaconThings website, btw) are totally wasted.

Agree it would be great if this app were updated, but meanwhile you can still use Ibeacons with SmartThings through webhooks if you like.

Go on…??? :slight_smile:

Is there some other iOS app that can translate iBeacon signals to web calls?

Sure, both the one for Geohopper and beecon+ can.

I personally use and really like Beecon plus, but the problem is The developer has moved on to other projects and they have shut down all of their customer support and just refer people to the FAQ on the website. Like I say, I still use it and I’m happy with it but I’m reluctant to recommend it anymore because they’ve gone from having great customer service to literally having no customer service. It’s still a popular high rated app, but it’s just hard for me to recommend it given the lack of support.

The following thread from two years ago discusses various options. It’s a little out of date, but it will give you the idea.

There are also other apps in the App Store that you can try. All you need is one that can do a post and then you can use the IFTTT maker channel to integrate with SmartThings.

You could also just write your own with the SDK from either estimote or radius networks, which I think is what a lot of people do these days.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been digging around the App Store and it seems like most of these apps haven’t been updated in a year or more. Beecon plus at least has been updated recently. I might try to write my own so I can at least keep it updated as iOS is updated and for new hardware.

I really appreciate the breadcrumbs.

1 Like

To be honest, I think once both estimote and radius networks had good SDKs, which happened in 2016, there really wasn’t a market for the third-party standalone beacon apps anymore.

@NorCalLights Thanks… yes I’ve got so many ideas for this but still have not had the time. I’ve got a new personal project that could really benefit from solid beacon support, so I may have some more good motivation to make it happen soon.

I apologize about the fact that you have unusable beacons right now. I hadn’t thought about that, but now have added a note to the site so that people know it is not currently available.

Thanks @JDRoberts for the good suggestions to bridge the gap for now.

2 Likes