BeaconThings - Beacons and SmartThings

Agreed. See my other post above:

Has anyone been able to port this over to android? Iā€™ve been searching for days and itā€™s REALLY starting to piss me off the lack of support for beacons with android. This would be amazing to use it worked with android and itā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for.

The shiny new iPhone 6S has just been released - itā€™s lovelyā€¦

Come to the dark sideā€¦you know you want toā€¦ :smiling_imp:

:grin:

5 Likes

Lol, only of I get to kill the dark side with a dual bladed light Saber.

I havenā€™t been paying attention to this topic, but Iā€™m not sure that you canā€™t already do similar functionality with something like Tasker, SharpTools and iBeaconTaskerā€¦

I think youā€™d just need to use the iBeaconTasker plugin to see when you connect to a specific beacon, then pass that along to ST via SharpToolsā€¦ whether thatā€™s to turn on a light or run a command or even a sequence of commands.

I havenā€™t tried this myself but it should workā€¦ Your mileage may vary of course. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d love to use the Tasker plugin but it appears to be broken

Yeah, the iBeacon plugin for tasker just crashes for me, too.

I have just gotten a NRF compatible beacon in from overseas, and initial testing does work with the NRF Beacon app to trigger a tasker action, but I havenā€™t actually tried to integrate it and see how reliable it is, hoping to do that here in the next week or so. Downside is that the app only lets you set an action for either near, close or at beacon, not a separate one for each, which would be nice.

@obycode was there ever any progress on version 1.2 with support for multiple accounts? Is there any known workaround for a way to make it work with the current version?

Hi @chriswheat. Thanks for your interest. BeaconThings improvements have been put on the back burner for the time being as we have been working on major SmartRules and obything updates. I havenā€™t forgotten about BeaconThings, but it is lower priority for now. If there actually seem to be a lot of people interested and waiting for this update, then I can raise the priority again, but so far, it hasnā€™t gotten much attention (and I havenā€™t needed the enhancement for myself yet).

If anyone else is waiting for improvements to this app, please post here and let me know your needs and your use cases.

@obycode

FYI, I have been able to use BeaconThings to integrate an iBeacon for reliable presence detection (along with modes, rules, and other sensors). I can use the geofence for departures but the iBeacon allows presence to trigger quickly in the garage/driveway and not two blocks from the house for arrival.

Also interested in multiple account support so a second phone can trigger the same activities.

4 Likes

Thanks @obycode. Hope there are others who are still interested as it would be great for my workflow.

For me, the best solution would be one where a particular beacon shows up as a ā€œthingā€ for each device that it is registered with. For example, the Front Door Beacon registered on my phone would be Front Door - Chris. The Front Door Beacon registered on my wifeā€™s phone would be Front Door - Wife.

1 Like

Oh, Iā€™m interested, all right, but nobody that knows Android programming has come out to help you get BeaconThings on Android yet :frowning:

1 Like

This is probably the most exciting things in the smart things community!

One more feature, any chance of a WatchOS2 app, i have my Apple Watch on me a lot more than my phone as i wonder around the house, plus its got plenty more spare battery cycles to use compared to my phone!

Thanks Dan! Iā€™d love to make BeaconThings work on the AppleWatch, but unfortunately Apple hasnā€™t opened up access to Bluetooth or core location on there yet. Iā€™m keeping a close eye on it though and once itā€™s available, weā€™ll make it work.

2 Likes

Thats a shame, i was hoping WatchOS2 would have done that as Beecons+ seems to be using the watch to locate iBeacons or is that wrong?

Developers can make a watch app, but your proximity to the Beacon will be based on the associated phoneā€™s proximity, not the watchā€™s. As mentioned, for now thereā€™s no proximity detection in the watch itself because Apple hasnā€™t turned one on. Probably because of battery life.

1 Like

Yeah shame really - my watch is under-used and over powered. Ive yet to have less than 60% battery at the end of the day, it could be doing my iBeacons better than my phone and take some of the load off it!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking a little more about the implementation of Beaconā€™s into my home and a couple of problems spring to mind.

I like the idea of lights automatically turning on/off as I enter/leave a room and this seems easy enough to setup - the problem is what about when guests are round in those rooms and you leave it - you donā€™t want the lights to go off then. Is there an easy way to over ride?

Also iā€™m thinking of having one near my electric gate to trigger to open automatically when I arrive. I see several issues with this - how do you stop it triggering constantly? How would I get it to trigger when I leave? I think whilst the beacon is a better way of noticing youā€™re home, maybe in this case, sticking with the standard remote control might be a better (albeit less magical) way to open the gates?

Well technically thatā€™s a gimmick, because they make motion-control lights that do this that are much simpler and more reliableā€¦ :slight_smile:

But that could probably give you the answer you need thoughā€¦ you could have a motion sensor in ā€œpopularā€ rooms, and if you exit the beacon range it would only shut off the lights after motion stops. Then again if youā€™re going to go that route, you donā€™t really need the beacons for presence at all.

You could also have a ā€œparty modeā€ where you would ignore the whole beacon routine until youā€™re back to solo mode or something.

This is probably easy enough to do if you just keep track of the current state / mode. So you would only open the gate automatically if you are in ā€œawayā€ mode, and doing so puts you into ā€œhomeā€ mode, or something similar.

I donā€™t like the motion detector idea because you have to set it to monitor no movement for X amount of times to turn it off. Which means you either have the lights on for a long time whilst youā€™re outside the room, or you have to keep moving inside the room to reset it.

Quite like the idea of different modes that are entered though - and maybe modes could be changed by pressing something like a Flic button?

RE the gate, that makes sense, except for when youā€™re in ā€œhomeā€ mode and you want to leaveā€¦I dunno, I guess setting up a flic button to trigger or just using the original remote is better in this situation too.