SmartThings Community

BeaconThings - Beacons and SmartThings

project_presence
ibeacons

You can get to IFTTT with any beacon app that can POST an HTTP request, because then you can use the IFTTT maker channel.

Since This particular thread is specific to Beacon Things, let’s take follow-up discussion to the following topic:

0 Likes

(Wayne) #106

Wish someone would put a watch face on these either digital or analogue will suffice. Wearing something that looks like a watch which isn’t, is pretty silly. :blush:

1 Like

(Greg) #107

“pretty silly” is VERY generous. at least tell me the time!

0 Likes

(Wayne) #108

Haha. Need to keep this family friendly.
Joking aside I’ve been looking for a combined watch and beacon for some time and all I’ve seen are beacons like this which look like watches only. Would be great for children if there was something out there.

0 Likes

(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #109

No updates yet. BeaconThings is still lower priority than SmartRules and obything. I’d love to get to this but we just haven’t had the time.

0 Likes

(Trevor) #110

My next question is does this work with kontakt.io? They have an optional security feature that shuffles the major and the minor. Would that feature throw off my actions? Thanks, I’m extremely new to smartthings!

0 Likes

Unlocking Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock with key tag doesn't send message to Z-Wave Lock device handler
(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #111

I’m not familiar with kontakt.io, but if it is changing the major and minor, then BeaconThings will recognize it as a new beacon.

1 Like

(Trevor) #112

Anyone else struggle getting Beaconthings to work on the iPad? The keyboard hiding the text field is one thing, but I cant get it to detect beacons. Had no issue on my iPhone 6s.

0 Likes

Yes I have had the same problem. I think the issue is that the app is designed for the aspect ratio of a phone and when running on an iPad the unregistered beacons don’t fit on the screen. It’s a UI issue but still makes it unusable on iPad :frowning:

0 Likes

(Sal Marano) #114

Same issue here it’s is ok on iPhone 6 however it does flake out pretty often running beacon things. More often than not it will say present on beacon things and not present on ST AP, and vs versa.

0 Likes

Which model? IBeacon support was not present in the earliest versions of the iPad. I think they came in with iPad 3. I know my iPad 2 doesn’t support Ibeacons.

1 Like

(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #116

As it is, BeaconThings is mostly just a proof of concept. That’s why I decided to make it available for free. There are a lot of things I’d like to do to improve it, but no time yet to do them :frowning2:.

0 Likes

I’m having a little bit of a problem. I built myself an ibeacon out of a Raspberry Pi and a bluetooth 4.0 usb dongle. I thought this might be a decent solution since I already have a Pi in almost every room for my multi-room audio. The UUID, major, minor, and power are all user adjustable. I’m able to see the ibeacon using Radius Network’s Locate Beacon app, but I don’t see it in BeaconThings. It doesn’t show under unregistered Beacons. I must be missing a step somewhere? Can anyone help?

Thank you!

0 Likes

Figured it out a little earlier. You must set your iBeacon UUID to the My BeaconThings UUID that’s in the settings page of the app. Also hcitool that is used on the Raspberry Pi needs the UUID to be entered in the XX XX XX XX…etc format instead of the 5 groupings separated by hyphens.

Oddly, now Locate Beacon no longer sees the piBeacon, but BeaconThings does. I also can’t seem to figure out how to set the tx power.

0 Likes

btw, I noticed the obything app isn’t available on the US Mac App store. Has this always been the case?

0 Likes

(Brice; SmartRulesApp.com) #120

There were a few quirks with the obything app that made it confusing to new users, more and more as the audience expanded, so we decided to take it down while we complete the updated version. I hope to get that live again soon.

1 Like

(Ford Crews) #121

This doesn’t happen to work with https://www.amazon.com/Tzumi-TagIt-Bluetooth-Tracking-Device/dp/B0178WETNQ does it? I found a couple of dozen on clearance for $1 each a few months back, Can’t really find a use for them.

0 Likes

No, there’s a difference between a device which is paired to a specific phone/tablet using Bluetooth, which is the same thing that headphones or speakers do, and a device which broadcasts using the ibeacon standard.

0 Likes

(Ford Crews) #123

Well most of the ibeacons seem to say bluetooth also, I hopped these might just be an ibeacon device that had bluetooth to do the beep the phone/beep function and the rest of the time just spewed out i’m here.

0 Likes

IBeacons use Bluetooth to transmit, but they are transmitting a message in a specific format. The Tagits don’t use that format.

0 Likes